Author Topic: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players  (Read 30673 times)

Re: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is not like going to a concert... this is a TEAM sport, meaning there are multiple players on a team, they are there to step in when a player is out (w/e the reason)... when you buy tickets to see a band/singer there are no guys waiting in the wings to step in for them!

You, as fans/businessmen of basketball KNOW going into every game there is a chance that you may not get to see your favorite players AHEAD of time! There are no guarantees (said or unsaid) on who you will see at a basketball game, that's why the team is named San Antonio Spurs and not Duncan, Manu, and Parker. If the fans are upset then that's on them for not knowing what sport they are watching!

If I go to see Usher in concert I am guaranteed to see him on stage, if I go to a Spurs game, I am guaranteed to see the Spurs play, not individual players... if I don't see Usher, I get a refund, if I don't see the SPURS play (if it's their fault), I get a refund. Duncan and Parker are NOT the Spurs, they are just players (who can change at any time) on the Spurs team!

I cannot say I totally agree witht his post.. Teams do not exist in a vaccum nor are teams faceless. To say you pay to watch a team and not individuals is a non sequitor because the team is made of individual players. These franchises have faces and they do market individual players. If I go to watch the Clippers I expect to see CP3 griffin and DeAndre, and there better be a good reason if they are scratched from the lineup. If players did not matter then teams would not market them and put them in ad campaigns to lure people to buy season tickets or even individual tickets.

I also disagree that the NBA is about chips. That is only for the fanatics (fans). Believe it or not there are alot of spectators that go to games just for entertainment and dont give a bleep who wins the chip. The real fans could probably not care less if their team rests players because real fans has their eye on the prize,  but think about the coporate executive that invites his business associates from china to a game at in his box because Lakers are in town and he knows the chinese like Kobe, but kobe is a scratch not because of injury but ;just because' that will p--- him off. I remember when we had Olowokandi on the Celtics and the Cs came to town to play the Clippers I went to that game but I was  not happy because Pierce was a scratch - and in that particular case the Cap was a scratch due to injury. Imagine how upset I would have been if he was scratched on a coache's choice.

Believe it or not but NBA tix are expensive and some families plan for some of these games some scrape money together to make someone's day or dream (special days). Think about the father that maybe put some money together to get his child a ticket to the game because though he lives in Miami is youong child is a huge Duncan fan. That kid would be crushed. That is not what the NBA wants. I am sorry to say but Pop was wrong on this one, and I can see how moves like this can set the league up for litigation.

This post is ridiculous.

Everyone knows all of Tim Duncan's fans are at least 40.

just wait until somebody sues the NBA

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams," Silver told NBA.com in April with the qualifier that it was a lockout-shortened season. "And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second guess

everything changes when its the heat on national tv.

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:26 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
pops  just put Lebron on warning... you can barely survive my last 9.

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This is not like going to a concert... this is a TEAM sport, meaning there are multiple players on a team, they are there to step in when a player is out (w/e the reason)... when you buy tickets to see a band/singer there are no guys waiting in the wings to step in for them!

You, as fans/businessmen of basketball KNOW going into every game there is a chance that you may not get to see your favorite players AHEAD of time! There are no guarantees (said or unsaid) on who you will see at a basketball game, that's why the team is named San Antonio Spurs and not Duncan, Manu, and Parker. If the fans are upset then that's on them for not knowing what sport they are watching!

If I go to see Usher in concert I am guaranteed to see him on stage, if I go to a Spurs game, I am guaranteed to see the Spurs play, not individual players... if I don't see Usher, I get a refund, if I don't see the SPURS play (if it's their fault), I get a refund. Duncan and Parker are NOT the Spurs, they are just players (who can change at any time) on the Spurs team!

I cannot say I totally agree witht his post.. Teams do not exist in a vaccum nor are teams faceless. To say you pay to watch a team and not individuals is a non sequitor because the team is made of individual players. These franchises have faces and they do market individual players. If I go to watch the Clippers I expect to see CP3 griffin and DeAndre, and there better be a good reason if they are scratched from the lineup. If players did not matter then teams would not market them and put them in ad campaigns to lure people to buy season tickets or even individual tickets.

I also disagree that the NBA is about chips. That is only for the fanatics (fans). Believe it or not there are alot of spectators that go to games just for entertainment and dont give a bleep who wins the chip. The real fans could probably not care less if their team rests players because real fans has their eye on the prize,  but think about the coporate executive that invites his business associates from china to a game at in his box because Lakers are in town and he knows the chinese like Kobe, but kobe is a scratch not because of injury but ;just because' that will p--- him off. I remember when we had Olowokandi on the Celtics and the Cs came to town to play the Clippers I went to that game but I was  not happy because Pierce was a scratch - and in that particular case the Cap was a scratch due to injury. Imagine how upset I would have been if he was scratched on a coache's choice.

Believe it or not but NBA tix are expensive and some families plan for some of these games some scrape money together to make someone's day or dream (special days). Think about the father that maybe put some money together to get his child a ticket to the game because though he lives in Miami is youong child is a huge Duncan fan. That kid would be crushed. That is not what the NBA wants. I am sorry to say but Pop was wrong on this one, and I can see how moves like this can set the league up for litigation.

1) Players come and go for many reasons but who is still there? The fans. That should tell you that the majority aren't there for the "stars" but are there for the players as a collective for what they do for the team. When KG retires, a few of his fans will probably latch on to another player or w/e but watch the stadium still fill up without him!

Yes, you need the elite players to actually win but to get fans in the seats? Sure for some of the fans, but when I look at terrible teams w/ terrible players who still have stands full of people (maybe not sellouts but a lot of fans)... teams that are filled with players you wouldn't want on the bench of yours, it leads me to believe that the vast majority pay to see their team and the players as a collective, not as individuals.

I bet if you go to the average fan wearing a jersey or shoes of one of Sterns hyped up players, the majority of them couldn't tell you much of anything about that player, except for probably that their good and if they have won a championship lately. I bet if you ask the majority of people who wear Jordans about him they probably can only tell you he won some championships and was a great player and the most they probably saw of him was an old clip in a commercial or online.

I can find you 5 people right now who can only tell you LeBron is a good player and that he won them the chip AND they have his jersey in their closet. The only reason they have the jersey is b/c the Heat won the chip. They didn't buy it b/c they like him or even care about him, they just know that he is one of the best players on the team (b/c they hear his name a lot and saw him a few times) but I can tell you that before Mia won none of them owned anything with Lebron on it and could care less about him... they just know that "their team" won, so they bought one of the popular jerseys from the Heat. If it was fashionable to wear a Heat jersey with no name on it they would have bought that instead! Matter of fact I can even introduce you to a few people who hate the Bulls who are "fans" of the Celtics who wear a jersey from players on the Lakers b/c it matches their shoes, pants, and hat... it something I would never do b/c to me that's not a real fan but I hold my judgements to myself. So I asked one (my cousin), and he said I just wear it b/c it matches my fit (and I'm sure b/c it's "popular"). A lot of people wear/buy merchandise of the "star" players but not b/c they like those players it's because it's pushed through marketing and it's fashionable.

2)Did I say the NBA was only about chips? I don't think I did, I said people go to the games of bad teams like Bobcats and Wizards (teams that rarely win 30+ games much less championships)... so I'm fairly sure I didn't say that. Of course some are there for entertainment that's obvious. Even I go to a game of teams I have never even heard of b/c it's the only thing to do around here sometimes... I never thought I was the only one. As cheap as some tickets are... cheap entertainment! But those are usually the people the furthest distance from the action or are the rich people (I'm talking about the ones there solely for entertainment purposes).

3) I have been to many sporting events, I am aware that tickets can be costly.

About the people scraping up money to see those players, honestly, it's a nice thought but they would still be in the same predicament if those players were hurt... there are NO GUARANTEES a certain play will be there/play! A dad could buy tickets for a game the same day and the best players can come down with a virus or something and be out, all after being just fine the day b4 and playing bball. While it's sad for the kid, it's life, you don't always get what you want! What are you saying, they deserve a refund? Pfft.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 04:38:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This post is ridiculous.

Everyone knows all of Tim Duncan's fans are at least 40.

just wait until somebody sues the NBA

What about Miami/Charlotte last year, when Dwayne Wade sat with a DNP-They're the Bobcats?

What about how every team sits players for a myriad of reasons throughout the season, often giving lip service to the phrase "injury" to do so?

People can sue the NBA all they want. They'll lose. I empathize with fans--when I heard about the lack of Ginobli, Duncan, and Parker, I wrote the game off.

And then I turned it on right around half-time, and the score was tied. I saw some great basketball, Pop got to rest his starters, and the most marketable dudes on the planet won the game.

I see no problem here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why no fine or game suspension of Mr. Kadashian?   Does that seem fair to you?   He instigated the whole incident pushing a guy in air and because he is from NYC nada.

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why no fine or game suspension of Mr. Kadashian?   Does that seem fair to you?   He instigated the whole incident pushing a guy in air and because he is from NYC nada.

Him and Wallace should have at least gotten substantial fines. I would have given them each one game, but thats just me.

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Stern is out of line here IMO. The spurs were in it to the end. Can't tell a coach how to coach or a team how to run itself.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Stern's crossing the line here.  spurs should be allowed to use their personnel as they see fit. 

The fact that the Spurs almost won this game further shows Stern is out of line.  It's the team that plays the game, not the individuals (yeah, there's individual players but it's the team that plays -- you get my drift)

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Stern's crossing the line here.  spurs should be allowed to use their personnel as they see fit. 

The fact that the Spurs almost won this game further shows Stern is out of line.  It's the team that plays the game, not the individuals (yeah, there's individual players but it's the team that plays -- you get my drift)

Completely agree here. Its not Sterns job to say what Pop can do with his team. Pops the coach, if he wants to sit players on a certain night he has every right to do so. What about the players that get DNP's every night, is Stern going to turn this into a rec league where every player gets equal playing time? Come on now.

I relate this to Phil Jackson. I read one article that talked about these guys not traveling with the team and the possible fine that may come. Yet, the Lakers were in negotiations with Phil Jackson and based conversations around restricted travel time for him? Stern just doesnt make sense on this one.

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
While I agree that there are no guarantees, I think the NBA is afraid that if this sort of thing becomes the norm then ticket sales and prices will have to drop.  I just saw the C's in Orlando the other day and I would have been much more hesitant to spend money on going if they had a reputation for benching their stars often.  I think that these sort of things, while left to the discretion of the the Spurs organization (they're beyond questioning to me, they're great), the policy and punishment for these actions are left to the NBA.  The NBA has a product to protect and if the value of said product was diminished through substandard play/starpower, the NBA would have to act to correct it. 

With that said, the game was pretty good.

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Isn't this common practice in Baseball because of the grind?

Doesn't the NBA pay attention to what the Spurs do?  Why would they put a Spurs game on national TV at the end of a long road trip with multiple games in a short time period? 

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
The only reason this is getting attention was because it was a National TV game. This game isnt broadcasted I bet Stern makes no beef with it. Just cause its on national tv doesnt mean Pop should change his gameplan.

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The NBA is a business, and their business is entertainment.  Pop sitting four of his top five scorers, including all three of his stars, in a nationally televised game against a top opponent, is clearly bad for business.  I can't blame Stern at all for punishing the Spurs for that. 

I think it's Pop's prerogative to strategically rest his key guys, but resting them all at once in a game against a good team (rather than against a team like, say, the Magic, who the Spurs played in their previous game), is kind of a slap in the face to the league office.

then the next time they play a team like the Heat and Pop wants to rest his guys, he should just tell them to go out there and give 15% effort, let the other team go up by 25, and then I'll put you on the bench the rest of the night.

Maybe that's Doc's strategy.  Sometimes it seems like it.   :P
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I can't believe anyone can be against popp on this.

The goal is to win a championship. He should be able to do whatever he wants.

So Stern is going to fine them next time for playing those guys 5 min?

I can't believe how angry this makes me. It just turns the game more into pure entertainment, than a sport

Why not sit them against the wizards and magic?
games like this can help build a championship team.

Well we aren't talking about coaching strategies or philosiphys.