Author Topic: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players  (Read 30680 times)

Re: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Greenfaith...I was making the point that a blanket statement can't be made without knowing the circumstances.

Why sit his stars THIS game is all I'm saying....

Why did Rivers sit his best players until they "clinched" the 2nd worst record in 06-07?  I bought tickets to a couple of those NBDL games in advance.  Would've been nice if Stern didn't wait until the lottery to sancion us..I'll bet that if Stern would've fined Wyc $100,000 that Pierce would've found said fountain of youth.  Would've been nice to pay full price and see Paul Pierce instead of Kevinn Pinkney.

If Stern is going to indignantly start concerning himself with the integrity of the league....He might start with a review of the definition of traveling. For the record, Commissioner Stern:  The literal definition is the same whether it's Brian Scalabrine or your messiah.

You have a point - as do the others here that don't agree with Stern's choice.

But why did Greg Popovich choose THIS game to grandstand?

This game?

The way that the Spurs have been playing, they could've very well beaten MIA..it was simply wrong for Pop to try to make his alleged vendetta vs Stern public like this.

Why don't Stern and Pop just put on some gloves and get in the ring? Tim Duncan doesn't have many years left, and I want to see him on the floor vs the best as much as possible.

Rest him prior to these types of games is all I'm saying. While I'm sure that there are some owners and coaches that don't like Stern, I certainly don't want it to become public.

Sorry if I mis-understoodf you. I still have problems understanding Internetise.

« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
The only thing I just dont get is, why did Pop decide to rest his starters vs. a contendor who just won the championship?

its more understandable if he is sitting them against the wizards or the raptors...

but isnt your goal as a team to win as many games as possible? why THIS game in particular? despite the fact that they pushed the heat, they essentially forfeited the game

imagine if the C's played all their starters against Orlando, and then sat them against Oklahoma City...doesnt that seem strange to anyone?

« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There are two issues I have with this.

One. Stop saying Pops is a genius coach. He's not. He just lost a winnable game making an incredibly stupid and obviously stupid move and got fined 250K for it. He could have just left them on the bench and brought them in for the final 8 and a half minutes and could have won and not been fined. He's just a coach that "won" Duncan in the draft lottery.  There's nothing genius about him. If he doesn't get Duncan we aren't having this conversation in any way shape or form. He's not even a Belichick. At least he drafted Brady in the 6th round and moved him up to backup when he worked hard.

Two.  A healthy scratch? No way. I'd be mortified. There is no way on Earth I would ever let myself be a healthy scratch if at all possible. If I'm Duncan I'm saying "Well if you send me home I'm not coming back".  Danny Green? Healthy scratch? How much am I getting paid? I mean the Spartans fight a week against 100,000 Persians and I can't play a basketball game?  The Russians freeze to death in Leningrad and I can't get paid to play a basketball game in a warm arena? OJ was throwing up and rushed for 200 yards in the snow. Another guy played with a broken leg. Olandis Gary ran for over a hundred yards with a snapped ACL. Muhammed Ali beat a champion fighting blind for 2 rounds. And I can't play in a basketball game. Presumably because I need an afternoon nap.  Women give birth and I can't play a basketball game. I'd die of shame. I have never called in sick for work if I wasn't sick in my life. I have come in sick many many times. Because I have a modicum of self respect and pride.

« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13

« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
IMHO Pop did the right thing - I don't think anybody has the right to criticise im for it.  It's his team, one that (despite age and injuries) he has managed to keep elite over the last 10 or so years.

We had games last season where we rested Pierce, KG and Allen.  Why is is so wrong for Pop to do the same?

For coaches like Pop, Doc and Phil Jackson those guys have had coaching careers filled with success. Neither one of those guys had coached a team that didn't make the playoffs since Boston's Big 3 era started in 2008.  For those guys making the playoffs isn't an aim - the only aim is a championship.  They don't care of they are playing a scrub team or the best team in the league - it's more important for them to keep their guys rested (and injury free) for the playoffs then it is to win a single regular season game.

Pop got a fine for his actions, but given the choice I bet he'd do the same thing again.  And next time the situation comes up, I bet he'd do the same again.

They say it's something for the fans - if you are a true Boston fan what is more important to you?  Watching our favorite players in one regular season game, or watching our team hold up a championship trophy a few months down the track?

« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Stern has issues, but not sure how he'll feel about this?

http://www.footbasket.com/clubhouse/tim-duncan-tony-parker-pretended-to-shoot-joey-crawford-at-party/

This is certainly going a bit far.  This is something I would expect from Dwight Howard, not Tim Duncan.  I honestly thought Duncan had a little more respect then that.  People bag KG for being 'dirty' but I couldn't see him doing something like this.

« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
IMHO Pop did the right thing - I don't think anybody has the right to criticise im for it.  It's his team, one that (despite age and injuries) he has managed to keep elite over the last 10 or so years.

We had games last season where we rested Pierce, KG and Allen.  Why is is so wrong for Pop to do the same?

For coaches like Pop, Doc and Phil Jackson those guys have had coaching careers filled with success. Neither one of those guys had coached a team that didn't make the playoffs since Boston's Big 3 era started in 2008.  For those guys making the playoffs isn't an aim - the only aim is a championship.  They don't care of they are playing a scrub team or the best team in the league - it's more important for them to keep their guys rested (and injury free) for the playoffs then it is to win a single regular season game.

Pop got a fine for his actions, but given the choice I bet he'd do the same thing again.  And next time the situation comes up, I bet he'd do the same again.

They say it's something for the fans - if you are a true Boston fan what is more important to you?  Watching our favorite players in one regular season game, or watching our team hold up a championship trophy a few months down the track?

Veteran teams like the Spurs, Celtics and Lakers are build for the post-season not so much an 82 game regular season.  I don't think Stern has the right to dictate how coaches handle their teams.

« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
Stern has issues, but not sure how he'll feel about this?

http://www.footbasket.com/clubhouse/tim-duncan-tony-parker-pretended-to-shoot-joey-crawford-at-party/

This is certainly going a bit far.  This is something I would expect from Dwight Howard, not Tim Duncan.  I honestly thought Duncan had a little more respect then that.  People bag KG for being 'dirty' but I couldn't see him doing something like this.

There's a difference between on court and off-court persona. We just see the TD on TV mostly, but he's not the worst the person for this silly pic. These two don't have a friendly history with Crawford not saying it's right though.

« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Did I miss the headline:

"NBA commissioner Hugo Stern fines the New York Knicks for resting the snitchster at  Thursday's game at Miami."?