Author Topic: Jared Sullinger in the post  (Read 1475 times)

Jared Sullinger in the post
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Why haven't we seen more posting up from Sully. We are a jump shooting team in desperate need of a low post presence. Sully was elite for OSU, why not give him some touches? Considering all of his points are basically garbage baskets.

Now I'm not saying this is the difference in our wins and losses. But I think it could pay off down the road as an option to go to.

What do ya think?

Re: Jared Sullinger in the post
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think you saw them giving him touches in the late 3rd/ early 4th quarter of tonights game. Not necessarily post shots but they gave him touches and allowed him to work a bit off the dribble.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I liked what I saw from Sully, but he's still figuring it out, and that's clear. He's working on seeing how his skills translate now, so a lot of what he is getting right now are hustle garbage buckets. He's probably not ready for set plays yet. He will be though, likely sooner than later.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Doc is trying to get him comfortable with the rest of his job-description (role) first. I hope we see Sullinger get some more post-ups as the year goes on.

Without being able to create his own shot in the post, Sully really isn't that valuable (this season) given his defensive limitations. The team needs that weapon (Sully's post game) to create matchup issues for opponents.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I honestly think that Doc does care about post play a whole lot.   His offense is more about spacing for the jump shooters.   Every coach I ever had coached what they know and Doc was a guard.  Viola! Perimeter based game...

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I honestly think that Doc does care about post play a whole lot.   His offense is more about spacing for the jump shooters.   Every coach I ever had coached what they know and Doc was a guard.  Viola! Perimeter based game...

I think there's alot to this. Doc understands the value of post play, but he coaches more of a Screen/Pr offense. Rarley do we specifically go to a post up. Oh sure, someone might call for it and get the ball, but we don't really make any move to feature post play in the offense.

This is most apparent when we have leads late and it becomes "lets run the clock down and find a shooter 18 feet out off a screen!" which leads to teams getting back into games.

Those are the times I'd like to see us play inside out and attack, instead we become jumpshotaholics.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Doc goes to KG in the post a lot when Garnett is in there. Its one of the plays he specifically calls frequently rather than letting Rondo just run what he wants, I think to make sure KG is utilized in the paint for his limited minutes.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully is playing nice and I feel for the kid....he is butting heads with 2-3 guys usually bigger every night. He NEEDS KG to be in the game /or at least Wilcox to absorb some pressure.  Bass , Pierce , Green are too small or unwilling to fight with the likes of Evans , Lopez and Humphies.

Put Gortat and Josh Smith in with him and he'll be able to get more done inside. 

Sully is standing in the paint trying to outrebound 2-4 guys ,  IF EVERYBODY else would BOX OUT and help ...

Sully will get better...I would HATE to think how bad the Celtics would look without him in the game.

Celtics minus KG and Sully and ROndo couldn't outrebound a good highschool team.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I've been really happy with what we have gotten from Sully this year, I really have.

If there is anybody on this team (outside of Fab Melo) has an exuse for strugglng it's Sully, but he's been probably one of our most consistent contributers in terms of what he brings to the team with his rebounding, moving the ball, scoring inside and his rebounding. 

He's probably one of my favorite Celtics right now along with Rondo, Pierce and KG - one of the only guys who you can genuinely say "I know what I'm going to get from him". 

Even Bass - one of the guys people expected to be a sure thing - has been up and down.

Terry and Barbosa have probably been the next most solid, but even they would only get a 6.5/10 from me for consistency.

Can't wait until Bradley comes back, because even if his scoring goes up and down, his defense will be brought every night.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Doubters said that Sully would have problem finishing at the rim, but he's shooting a healthy 70% at the tin.  For comparison Dwight Howard, in his rookie year, converted 64% at the rim his rookie year.   

Most NBA players get their interior shot off by creating space, as opposed to going over defenders. Sully is good at creating space to get his shot off. 

I'd like to see the Cs dump the ball into him 3-4 times a half and let him fiddle and diddle.  He has a solid back down game, can face up and drive in either direction, and even has a nice mini-hook (4-5 on hook shots).  He also is a bull, and should get to the line, where he shoots a tidy 100% (11 for 11). Where he will struggle is in the pull up.  He's shooting only 29% on jumpers (10-34). 

It's not unusual for rookies to struggle with the jump shot.  With more time and touches, Sully should come around with his jumper.  He's got very good form and good touch. In the NBA, it takes a while for a player to figure out his spots and what shots he can get off and make at a high percentage.