Author Topic: What's the difference between us and the spurs?  (Read 19025 times)

Re: What's the difference between us and the spurs?
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Spurs are one of the most boring teams in the NBA and over the last 5 years have been the most overrated team in the league

I think the Spurs have played very exciting basketball over the last few years. They are one of my favourite teams to watch since opening up their offense a couple of seasons ago.

Even prior to that, I loved watching their ball movement and passing when Oberto was on the floor. I thought that was one of the best passing teams I have seen in a long time.

Prior to that, with Nesterovic and Nazr and even before that with David Robinson, I thought that boring-tag was fair enough. I enjoyed watching them but they were certainly a very methodical team and tended to grind teams down rather than play more eye-pleasing styles of basketball.

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
They end Defensive possesions with rebounds, rather than being slaughtered on the glass.

I can almost forgive the lack of offensive rebounding since we play a hyper defensive system. But the complete lack of toughness and heart on the defensive glass is mind blowing, and will kill us long term.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Player efficiency. Duncan can still be a difference maker in most games, even in playoffs. KG is not and he and Duncan are never similar - Duncan is always a leader and a go-to guy. Manu and Parker just do their jobs without fanfare and score better than PP and Rajon. Plus, all the Spurs Big Three could take on one-on-one challenges anytime.

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They end Defensive possesions with rebounds, rather than being slaughtered on the glass.

I can almost forgive the lack of offensive rebounding since we play a hyper defensive system. But the complete lack of toughness and heart on the defensive glass is mind blowing, and will kill us long term.
We're actually a much better defensive rebounding team than the Spurs.

They're 23rd and we're 8th. They're not even much better on the offensive glass, we're 30th and they're 28th, though the gap is from 22.4 to 18.4 (which is bigger than the gap in our defensive rebounding numbers)

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Spurs are one of the most boring teams in the NBA and over the last 5 years have been the most overrated team in the league

Uhhhh this is the most overrated stance on the spurs. Good sound basketball isn't boring.
What makes the celtics any more exciting? Kgs chest thumping and screaming on the jumbotron? Not rebounding? Idk

2 big differences.....doc isn't popovich and kg is NOT Tim Duncan sorry

To me. The Celtics are just as boring as the Spurs if not more so.

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Better players + better coaches = better team

I don't think the players are better. That was my main reason for the post. I looked at their record and they have 13 wins already?

Duncan and KG. Take either/or. They're pretty even overall to me.
I would take Pierce over Manu.
I would take Rondo over Parker.
I would take Bass over Diaw and probably Sully over Blair.
Lee/Terry and Danny Green seem pretty even.
I do like Jackson over Green from an aggressive standpoint.
Heck I see Avery and Kawhi playing the same role and I see that as a toss up.
I guess I like Splitter more then Wilcox but then I love how Wilcox plays with Rondo, so I don't know.

As for Doc vs Pop. I think both have their strengths. Doc is a master at calling plays and in the playoffs really seems greg at motivating. The fact his players are willing to practically die for him says a lot. I'm not convinced that Pop is far superior to Doc as an overall coach.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, one major thing is that the Spurs had very little turnover from last season, while the C's only have 4 guys returning from the team that finished the season so strong last year.  Continuity can make a huge difference, and it is a big reason the Spurs operate like a well oiled machine. 

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

We're actually a much better defensive rebounding team than the Spurs.

They're 23rd and we're 8th. They're not even much better on the offensive glass, we're 30th and they're 28th, though the gap is from 22.4 to 18.4 (which is bigger than the gap in our defensive rebounding numbers)

Right, but whats our defensive rebounding offset by the amount of offensive boards we give up? We get crushed on the glass on our own end.

Edit: we're actually better than I though, we give up an average of 10.5 a game, which is better than the spurs, but still my main gripe with this team.

11 extra possessions a game on average.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Well, one major thing is that the Spurs had very little turnover from last season, while the C's only have 4 guys returning from the team that finished the season so strong last year.  Continuity can make a huge difference, and it is a big reason the Spurs operate like a well oiled machine.

This is why I still have faith. I just hate having to be patient.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Duncan

Splitter

Coaching

Duncan

Splitter

Coaching

Coaching

X  100     :'(

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

No team in the NBA plays team ball as well as they do.  Their sum is henceforth, much greater than their parts.

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Better players + better coaches = better team

I don't think the players are better. That was my main reason for the post. I looked at their record and they have 13 wins already?

Duncan and KG. Take either/or. They're pretty even overall to me.
I would take Pierce over Manu.
I would take Rondo over Parker.
I would take Bass over Diaw and probably Sully over Blair.
Lee/Terry and Danny Green seem pretty even.
I do like Jackson over Green from an aggressive standpoint.
Heck I see Avery and Kawhi playing the same role and I see that as a toss up.
I guess I like Splitter more then Wilcox but then I love how Wilcox plays with Rondo, so I don't know.

As for Doc vs Pop. I think both have their strengths. Doc is a master at calling plays and in the playoffs really seems greg at motivating. The fact his players are willing to practically die for him says a lot. I'm not convinced that Pop is far superior to Doc as an overall coach.
You are wrong pretty much across the board on the talent.  The Spurs have a lot better players than the Celtics.  And the coaches are even less close.  Pop is an all time great, Doc is very average.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 588
I'm so sick of the spurs. Every year we hear how they retooled and are going to win the West only to see them flame out. Pop is a good coach, but I think he's a bit overrated like his team.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I thought the answer was "we've had more recent playoff success than them".

I'd say he is talking about this year.  Every year is different.  For instance, he spoke of roster similarities.  The Celtics roster this year has a lot of turnover.  Context clues, my friend, context clues.

Or maybe that was a sarcastic response to a poster asking a genuine question.  That wouldn't be your style though.

Haha. I'm surprised you couldn't work Chris Paul into your post.

And it's great that you were able to tell that he was talking about this year by those hard to decipher context clues, I did too. I don't know if you're new here, but threads like this happen all the time when the Celts go through a slump. I was just pointing out that the team usually plays well in the playoffs despite these issues. I was just adding some perspective, my friend, perspective.

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm so sick of the spurs. Every year we hear how they retooled and are going to win the West only to see them flame out. Pop is a good coach, but I think he's a bit overrated like his team.

Agree completely.  He was a great coach, when his great players were in their prime, and just better than everyone else.  Since then, his teams consistently come up short.