Author Topic: Taking Stock: Why is the team so bad?  (Read 4094 times)

Re: Taking Stock: Why is the team so bad?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45:30 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

All of these things are dead on. I was very surprised when we went with Melo as our second draft pick, as I thought the idea was to try and win now. He isn't going to see the floor this year. Sullinger though has looked pretty good.

Imagine if we had drafted Jeff Taylor instead.  He's playing on the Bobcats, granted, but so far this season he's been a better player than both Lee and Green.  For rookie money.

I think we would have benefited the most from someone like Jae Crowder if we wanted impactful energy off the bench that wouldn't make us so small.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
This team is bad, because assembling a group of men to play professional basketball NEVER guarantees results - especially results deemed expectant by impatient fans

Why is the sky blue when the sun is out?

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
This team isn't bad, The rebounding is bad.. Quite frankly awful. Rebounding wins basketball games. Close 2nd is our defense is not playing well either. I think some of that changes with AB coming back and being able to stop the ball dead in its tracks. But when this team rebounds well the play better and beat up on teams. When you have games like tonight where I didn't watch all if it but over heard Mike say Blatche had 10 rebounds in 7 minutes that just cant be going on if you wanna win basketball games.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's still November. It's too early too call this one yet. It's so early in the season, the Wiz, Raps and Cavs still has a shot to make the playoffs. Also, we have a winning record too.

They are not living up to expectations I can tell you that. But a bad team? Because we lost while losing our best player in a scuffle? C'mon, overreacting much?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pierce is very inconsistent, and Terry hasn't gelled yet. Plus, our bench as a whole is still finding their identity. I think that's a good summation.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
so hard to judge the celtics in the first half of the regular season.  Lee, Green, Bradley and even Bass should be breaking out this season, and when they do this team will be a solid contender.   

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 01:07:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
We need to look into to make a blockbuster trade. In the NBA, depth doesn't win you championships, star-talent does.

I really think it'll happen. Either December 15 or January 15.

Last time we had this much depth The Boston Three Party assembled.

And with depth you mean Wally Sz, Delonte, young big al and Gerald.  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's still November. It's too early too call this one yet. It's so early in the season, the Wiz, Raps and Cavs still has a shot to make the playoffs. Also, we have a winning record too.

They are not living up to expectations I can tell you that. But a bad team? Because we lost while losing our best player in a scuffle? C'mon, overreacting much?

They have been, in a word, mediocre.  It would be charitable to say that they've been one of the best 10-15 teams in the league so far this season.  That means they've played like a borderline playoff team.  In a few games they have looked quite good (e.g. against the Thunder), but for the most part, they haven't impressed.

Considering the players on the roster, I think it's fair to call them "bad" so far.  I think I made pretty clear in the original post that I'm just saying they're "bad" right now.  Not claiming I believe or know that they will be bad three months from now.  But I'm worried, because the signs so far aren't encouraging, even with patience and perspective and keeping in mind that they've had mid-season turnarounds in the past.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
We need a Varejao player, yes a Varejao player... without missing Rondo, KG , Pierce and Terry, that could make it.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
We need a Varejao player, yes a Varejao player... without missing Rondo, KG , Pierce and Terry, that could make it.

I've long felt that Andy V represents exactly the kind of player the Celtics need to put next to KG in order to become a truly elite team again.  Andy V should be available . . . but I'm not sure that the Celtics have the assets, unless they want to put Bradley and / or Sully on the table.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Pierce is very inconsistent, and Terry hasn't gelled yet. Plus, our bench as a whole is still finding their identity. I think that's a good summation.

What's frustrating about the identity thing is that this team should not have any questions about their identity.  Their only path to success against the best teams has to be tough, physical, swarming defense.  The kind the Nets have been playing to get to 10-4.

As I described at length in another post, I think the bench was put together this off-season with the idea in mind that they would score, because trying to maintain the defense when KG isn't on the floor is a very difficult endeavor with the current roster options available.  As you are perhaps suggesting, though, this creates an issue of identity, because we have mostly the same starting lineup which has hung its hat on slow, efficient half-court offense and tough D, but a bench that wants to play up-tempo and try to outscore the opponent. 

What we've gotten as a result is a team that is scoring more, but is still nowhere close to an elite group on that end.  Meanwhile, the overall defense has gone into the toilet because any unit without KG anchoring is a complete sieve.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 01:36:37 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I've long felt that Andy V represents exactly the kind of player the Celtics need to put next to KG in order to become a truly elite team again.  Andy V should be available . . . but I'm not sure that the Celtics have the assets, unless they want to put Bradley and / or Sully on the table.

and if thats what it takes i will do it in a second
you always give guard talent for big man talent.

AV injuries seems to worry but andy is always ready when it counts.
hes not a dumb player and he knows his baggage
he takes care of himself thats what you learn from kid.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 01:36:51 AM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I see nothing but a defeated, bad team that is scared to get beat. This is officially the end of this celtics run as we know it. I know I was more than excited about this team as DA put them together but it can be nothing less that a complete debacle at this point. Not sure what team others are watching but this C's team is pretty bad.

Can Jeff Green be amnestied? Some changes need to be made and I think they need to start dumping salaries and assets for youngs and picks.

Do you see the look in Docs face when he says this team is soft and has NO aggression? Ask yourself what exactly is going to change this teams entire dynamic and demeanor?

For why its bad is pretty simple. As much as we love PP and the Kid they're old, rest of the team other than Rondo? They simply suck.

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
p.s. a team have to be flexible as long as itエs not domminant

-Edgar-

;D

Nice to be back!

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 01:41:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I see nothing but a defeated, bad team that is scared to get beat. This is officially the end of this celtics run as we know it. I know I was more than excited about this team as DA put them together but it can be nothing less that a complete debacle at this point. Not sure what team others are watching but this C's team is pretty bad.

Can Jeff Green be amnestied? Some changes need to be made and I think they need to start dumping salaries and assets for youngs and picks.

Do you see the look in Docs face when he says this team is soft and has NO aggression? Ask yourself what exactly is going to change this teams entire dynamic and demeanor?

For why its bad is pretty simple. As much as we love PP and the Kid they're old, rest of the team other than Rondo? They simply suck.

Just to play devil's advocate here -- they looked twice as soft and half as interested in playing good basketball for most of the 2009-2010 season.  Of course, as far as I know there are no Rasheeds on this team.  I sure hope none of the new guys has that kind of attitude (Terry?).
- Mark Twain