Author Topic: Taking Stock: Why is the team so bad?  (Read 4093 times)

Re: Taking Stock: Why is the team so bad?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
We need to look into to make a blockbuster trade. In the NBA, depth doesn't win you championships, star-talent does.

Well, you're definitely right about that.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have one quality big - KG, period.  The rest are bench guys that includes Sully.   PP is a wing.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
The team hasn't been bad, it has been mediocre. Which when you're in "win now" is a big problem.

Most of it is due to poor pick and roll defense. Pick and rolls are allowing offensive rebounding to occur and open threes for spot up shooters.

the positive is that defense can improve over time...players will eventually know the rotations...and bradley coming back in a couple weeks will also help out in that area.

Once this team starts playing D like they are accustomed to I think everything will start to come together.

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
just not looking for things to get better till

1 st  .... near midseason.
2 nd  Bradley returns
3 rd..... DA trades for a big center or Josh Smith

Don't think we'll know the TRUE nature of this team till ALL-Star break.

Something will have to change. 

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:59 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The team hasn't been bad, it has been mediocre. Which when you're in "win now" is a big problem.

Most of it is due to poor pick and roll defense. Pick and rolls are allowing offensive rebounding to occur and open threes for spot up shooters.

I just don't get it. We should be better. Looks like it might just be up and down until the all star break.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

2 nd  Bradley returns

Precisely. My patience with this team will be prolonged until DA is finally unleashed to make a move.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

2 nd  Bradley returns

Agree 100 percent. There will be a huge trade before the all star break

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
-Stars are slipping (Pierce a little slower, less dynamic; KG further from the rim on offense again, a little slower on D).

-Rising star (Rondo) not able to make up the difference (Major inability to score for himself is a significant handicap)

-Lack of size with real talent (KG plays low minutes; no starting quality PF to make up the difference with KG at C and no good backup C)

-Bradley Injury hurts

-Lack of impact from drafting (depleted talent)

-Very poor ability to utilize MLE/BAE/Vet contracts to lock up bargain deals (results in depleted talent...a lot of good teams always seem to have that player that signed a 2-3 year deal and ended up being surprisingly good; the C's such signings are either terrible players or signed so short they then leave for a raise).

-Very poor bargain youth scouting (instead going after the expensive ineffective very short term patch that uses money and doesn't help...Wallace, JO, etc.)

-Major overvaluing of jeff green (we'd probably have the same record without him and have a much more flexible financial future AND not be burdened by the defacto "hard cap" this year that significantly hampers trade possibilities).

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
We have one quality big - KG, period.  The rest are bench guys that includes Sully.   PP is a wing.

agreed. Wilcox has done ok for being a bench guy. But we need another starter quality BIG.  get one that can switch with KG at center have each play 24 minutes if we want to put wilcox or sully or bass starting whomever is left after a trade or put KG back to the 4.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I know theres a group that will disagree with me. But Bradley returning is going to fix alot of these problems.

it puts someone in the starting lineup who KNOWS the defense and CAN stay in front of his man. and puts Terry(a scorer more than a defender) back on the bench.

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I know theres a group that will disagree with me. But Bradley returning is going to fix alot of these problems.

it puts someone in the starting lineup who KNOWS the defense and CAN stay in front of his man. and puts Terry(a scorer more than a defender) back on the bench.

Hope so. Just don't think he comes back ready to go right away. Everything just seems destined for this team to hit their stride in February.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Hope so. Just don't think he comes back ready to go right away. Everything just seems destined for this team to hit their stride in February.

can we afford to wait til midseason to get things together? How many games back will we be in the division?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
too small.

we're small on the perimeter with Lee, Terry, and Barbosa, and we're small in the middle with Bass, Sully, and Wilcox.

NJs big guards were dribbling past and shooting over us, and their bigs were moving easily in the paint.

We just don't have impact defensive players. AB, Piertrus, Steamer weren't world-beaters, but they had an impact when they came in the game.

AB coming back should help some...

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
-Stars are slipping (Pierce a little slower, less dynamic; KG further from the rim on offense again, a little slower on D).

-Rising star (Rondo) not able to make up the difference (Major inability to score for himself is a significant handicap)

-Lack of size with real talent (KG plays low minutes; no starting quality PF to make up the difference with KG at C and no good backup C)

-Bradley Injury hurts

-Lack of impact from drafting (depleted talent)

-Very poor ability to utilize MLE/BAE/Vet contracts to lock up bargain deals (results in depleted talent...a lot of good teams always seem to have that player that signed a 2-3 year deal and ended up being surprisingly good; the C's such signings are either terrible players or signed so short they then leave for a raise).

-Very poor bargain youth scouting (instead going after the expensive ineffective very short term patch that uses money and doesn't help...Wallace, JO, etc.)

-Major overvaluing of jeff green (we'd probably have the same record without him and have a much more flexible financial future AND not be burdened by the defacto "hard cap" this year that significantly hampers trade possibilities).

All of these things are dead on. I was very surprised when we went with Melo as our second draft pick, as I thought the idea was to try and win now. He isn't going to see the floor this year. Sullinger though has looked pretty good.

Not having ANY interior presence outside of Sullinger in the post has been a major downside to this team.

Doc always resorts to putting Bass back in at the end of games, regardless of how well Sullinger or Wilcox are playing. I have seen this multiple times. We lose our interior offense/rebounding when this happens.

I think the kind of player that we need is a Demarcus Cousins kind of guy, one that can score and move people around in the paint.

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

All of these things are dead on. I was very surprised when we went with Melo as our second draft pick, as I thought the idea was to try and win now. He isn't going to see the floor this year. Sullinger though has looked pretty good.

Imagine if we had drafted Jeff Taylor instead.  He's playing on the Bobcats, granted, but so far this season he's been a better player than both Lee and Green.  For rookie money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain