Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28279 times)

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Chris Paul hasn't been suspended since college, at least according to this blog of NBA fines and suspensions.

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/fines.html

Yes, I went there.

I guess we now know why he takes all those playoff losses so calmly.

I'd prefer that than getting suspended a game in the middle of a playoff series.  Season is 82 games, playoff series is 4-7.  Why get carried away during 1 game out of 82? Losing your cool doesn't help the cause in either situation.

Obviously you would. I'll go with the guy that plays through a dislocated elbow to win, even if he loses his cool on occasion.

And if you want to get technical about it, Rondo lost 9 playoff games last year and lost 10 the year he won the championship.  I thought the major criticism of CP3 was not going far enough in the playoffs.  Rondo has lost bunches more playoff games than him.

The Chris Paul conundrum. He hasn't been successful enough in the playoffs to lose as many games as Rondo. He certainly loses a much higher percentage of his games than Rondo, so you can see that the effort's there. Just not the wins.

There are plenty of reasons for that, like for instance having Vinny Del Negro as a coach instead of Doc Rivers or having 0 Hall of Fame teammates instead of 3. 

Didn't the Celtics win the playoff game that Rondo was suspended for?  What a horrible group of bums he carried past a mediocre Hawks and 76ers team.

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
History or not, any suspension would be pathetic.  It wasn't a dirty move during a basketball play where somebody could get hurt.  That's what suspensions are for.  This was a scuffle.  We see scuffles in the NBA (of varying severity) every month.

It wasn't a KG elbow to the face after the play.  It was a player getting in another players face after the play.  Definitely a fine, arguably an ejection, if it's a suspension the league is weaker than ever.  Players react in the heat of the moment and emotions come out.  As long as nobody is trying to start a fight (ie punches) I don't think it's a huge deal.
The NBA has gotten a quicker trigger on suspensions though.

No reason to think the trigger is any quicker than in recent years other than jumping to that conclusion.  We only have two suspensions for in game instances that I am aware of this year, Thomas Robinson (an elbow to the neck) and Demarcus Cousins (confronting Sean Elliott at the broadcast table).

I agree with this and on top of that, I'd hope that the NBA would look at how the lack of calls which allowed the Nets to play a very physical game without any repercussions.  That is what led to the altercation.  It took a hard foul to get a whistle and by then it was too late.  You can't let one team get away with somewhat overly physical play and expect it not to get chippy.  The NBA and Stern need to be real here, and take responsibility for allowing a game to get out of hand.

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
Chris Paul hasn't been suspended since college, at least according to this blog of NBA fines and suspensions.

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/fines.html

Yes, I went there.

I guess we now know why he takes all those playoff losses so calmly.

I'd prefer that than getting suspended a game in the middle of a playoff series.  Season is 82 games, playoff series is 4-7.  Why get carried away during 1 game out of 82? Losing your cool doesn't help the cause in either situation.

Obviously you would. I'll go with the guy that plays through a dislocated elbow to win, even if he loses his cool on occasion.

And if you want to get technical about it, Rondo lost 9 playoff games last year and lost 10 the year he won the championship.  I thought the major criticism of CP3 was not going far enough in the playoffs.  Rondo has lost bunches more playoff games than him.

The Chris Paul conundrum. He hasn't been successful enough in the playoffs to lose as many games as Rondo. He certainly loses a much higher percentage of his games than Rondo, so you can see that the effort's there. Just not the wins.

There are plenty of reasons for that, like for instance having Vinny Del Negro as a coach instead of Doc Rivers.  Didn't the Celtics win the playoff game that Rondo was suspended for?

Can we just agree to make this subject its own thread?  Really, I don't care about CP3 one iota, you brought him up, in a trollish fashion.  Now can we let it go and talk logically about Rondo and a suspension?

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Back to subject.

He likely gets a game or two.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Can we just agree to make this subject its own thread? Now can we let it go and talk logically about Rondo and a suspension?

I'd be glad to.  In fact, I have several posts on this thread solely about the possibility of suspension.  You'll note that all of BBallTim's posts on this thread are solely to sarcastically deride the Clippers point guard.

Actually, you responded to one of my posts that had no mention of CP3.

Regardless, to say on topic, I'd say that there's likely no suspension.  One game at the most.  There is little prior evidence to suggest this would get any more than that.

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
History or not, any suspension would be pathetic.  It wasn't a dirty move during a basketball play where somebody could get hurt.  That's what suspensions are for.  This was a scuffle.  We see scuffles in the NBA (of varying severity) every month.

It wasn't even a KG elbow to the face after the play.  It was a player getting in another player's face after the play.  Definitely a fine, arguably an ejection, if it's a suspension the league is weaker than ever.  Players react in the heat of the moment and emotions come out.  As long as nobody is trying to start a fight (ie punches) I don't think it's a huge deal.

Rondo both shoved and punched Humphries.

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

It wasn't even a KG elbow to the face after the play.  It was a player getting in another player's face after the play.  Definitely a fine, arguably an ejection, if it's a suspension the league is weaker than ever.  Players react in the heat of the moment and emotions come out.  As long as nobody is trying to start a fight (ie punches) I don't think it's a huge deal.

A punch is typically a 1 game suspension, sometimes 2. 

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

From 1/29/11:

The NBA suspended Marvin Williams (Atl) for 2 games and Shawne Williams(NY) for 1 game for their altercation during Friday's Atl-NY game where MWilliams threw 2 punches and SWilliams threw 1 punch.

That is the most recent incident I found of an NBA punch leading to a suspension.

Marvin had been suspended prior.

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
In the Subject:

Hopéfully only 2

Out of subjet:

Our coach still stinks
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I'd say one, but because it went into the fans, there's a good chance he'll get two.

I don't think Rondo punched Humphries; it was more of a 'double-stiff-wristed-open-handed' slap to the face.

I think Gerald Wallace needs to be suspended longer, though.  He just jumped right into it and attacked KG, who had done nothing at that point.  KG didn't even fight back, he was just trying to grab Rondo.  Same for Pierce, but Reggie Evans was grabbing him.  I don't think Evans should get in trouble, but Wallace pulled an absolute bush league move on KG.  Disgusting

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Suspension?  I didn't even think anyone should have been ejected.  I thought they should just hand out a couple of technicals and move on with the basketball game.

Marshall and Tanguay were driving me crazy during the post game almost begging for a big suspension for Rondo.  What the heck is wrong with those two (particularly Marshall, that two-faced, good for nothing, rat-fink)? 

The thing that befuddled me the most (if I'm being completely objective) is how did Gerald Wallace end up getting tossed and KG got to stay in the game?

In the end, it's much ado about nothing.  I hope the league uses some common sense here. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
I'd say one, but because it went into the fans, there's a good chance he'll get two.
I don't think Rondo punched Humphries; it was more of a 'double-stiff-wristed-open-handed' slap to the face.

I think Gerald Wallace needs to be suspended longer, though.  He just jumped right into it and attacked KG, who had done nothing at that point.  KG didn't even fight back, he was just trying to grab Rondo.  Same for Pierce, but Reggie Evans was grabbing him.  I don't think Evans should get in trouble, but Wallace pulled an absolute bush league move on KG.  Disgusting

That's actually a great point.  It going into the fans may play a factor in a suspension decision.  I'm still sticking with 0 or 1, but excellent point.

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

That's actually a great point.  It going into the fans may play a factor in a suspension decision.  I'm still sticking with 0 or 1, but excellent point.

I was in the Orlando game almost in that spot
If rondo and kg do that with me there I die of happiness
hug them and

and forgive their suspension

lol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
This is classic Rondo. Playing amazing ball then does something that makes everyone go 'ugh'.
This made me say "Yes!". No one can say he cared more about his assist streak than the team.

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Rondo gets at least a couple of games.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner