Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28273 times)

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'd say one, but because it went into the fans, there's a good chance he'll get two.
I don't think Rondo punched Humphries; it was more of a 'double-stiff-wristed-open-handed' slap to the face.

I think Gerald Wallace needs to be suspended longer, though.  He just jumped right into it and attacked KG, who had done nothing at that point.  KG didn't even fight back, he was just trying to grab Rondo.  Same for Pierce, but Reggie Evans was grabbing him.  I don't think Evans should get in trouble, but Wallace pulled an absolute bush league move on KG.  Disgusting

That's actually a great point.  It going into the fans may play a factor in a suspension decision.  I'm still sticking with 0 or 1, but excellent point.

I still think there is no way he gets less than three. The only thing that holds me back from that is the post above about the Williams suspension.

I also agree that Wallace should get at least one for his part. He went in looking to fight, you could see the expression on KGs face go,"get off me im going to get Rondo." And my favorite part of the clip is when Doc comes up to Wallace with the puzzled expression pushes him back and basically says, "What are you doin?"

Regardless, what a dumb move by Rondo. The only reason he did this was because Humphries blocked him a few plays prior. I love the fact of sticking up for your teammate. But this was just an overblown punk move and to be missing Rondo is not what the Celtics need at all right now.

How do you know what Rondo's motive was?  Seriously, how can you just throw that out there?

He's pulling a felger, who said on Sports tonight that Rondo knew the Streak was likely over (since he had 3 assists at the time) and got himself tossed so he could say "well i would have broken it but.."

Mike is a moron.

As to the suspension, I'm thinking 5 at least, because SC is doing nothing but playing footage of that scared kid they almost trampled and calling it a "scary moment" where they "brawled in the stands!"

you know how stern feels about any kind of interaction with the crowd, and Rondo has a history.

Felger isn't a moron, he is a contrarian. 

As for the suspension, has there ever been a suspension anywhere close to that, when no punches were thrown?

Yea, I get that being the boston version of skip bayless is felger's gimmick, but inventing a vast conspiracy where rondo decided to go out and get himself tossed because he though it would preserve the streak is moronic.

Well, alot of people are claiming there was a punch thrown. and If the NBA agrees that the little half shove towards hump's face was a punch, then i predict a slightly less sever punishment for the knicks nuggets brawl.

Considering Nate, who pretty much played the rondo roll in that one pre carmelo cheap shots, got 10 and 6 respectively, I don't think 5 is so outrageous given Rondo's discipline history.

I hope I'm wrong and It's 1 or none, but 5 wouldn't shock me in the slightest.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think he may get 1 game suspension.
Also I wish they will stop calling it a brawl. He didn't punch him, he pushed him into the stands (I find it interesting how he pushed a much taller and bigger person that hard).

Yeah, Rondo getting his jersey pulled off by Humphries tells the story about how he ended in the stands.

I've watched the video a hand full of times, and I think the major source of Rondo getting his jersey pulled off is Pierce desperately trying to pull Rondo off of him.

As far as the suspension, I'm guessing 5-7 games based off a past history, plus it escalating to the stands.

And I'm kinda fine with it. Humphries push to Garnett's shoulder is a dirty move, and it very easily could've resulted in a serious injury. In my mind, it's a step above putting your foot under a jump shooter.

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Anyone else notice Donnys immediate reaction? Clapping, laughing, and gloating about the scrum? Then at the post game he did a complete 180 and derided the whole thing? Can we please send this guy to Miami now, to carry Ray Allens bag of balls?

I was going to write something about that. His whole attitude change right after the commerical at half time. I can only assume someone gave him an earful about cheering on that behavior. Personally I'm okay with Rondo's pushing the guy. I don't believe he thought about it. People get caught up in the emotion of the game and he was defending a team mate.
Once again I see the woosafication of the NBA. Sorry but I didn't see anything so bad. Some pushing and shoving. Give out some fouls, tell them to cut the crap, and move on.
The league is a joke. Can't touch a guy at half court and it not a foul. Let them play. I don't turn on the game to watch a free throw shooting contest, of which Pierce would have lost badly, but I digress.
Really, I know I'm old school, but the fouls, techs, over refing are killing the game. Sorry for the rant, but I remember McHale taking down Rambus and he receive a foul. End story. Nothing that bad happened last night.
I don't think I am particularly blood thirsty, but I am old school, too.  The refs and rules are really ruining my enjoyment of the game, to the point where after being a 50 year fan, I am almost ready to quit on basketball.  I say 0 suspensions...ejections were enough.  They all left the court with no problem after receiving it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Here is what I don't get. Rajon Rondo 100 percent initiates an altercation that ends up in the stands putting fans, and in one case a little kid in harms way, and it seems there are many on this blog who don't think Rondo deserves a suspension. This thing ended up in the crowd and some people could have really gotten hurt. What am I missing?

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46

Yea, I get that being the boston version of skip bayless is felger's gimmick, but inventing a vast conspiracy where rondo decided to go out and get himself tossed because he though it would preserve the streak is moronic.

Well, alot of people are claiming there was a punch thrown. and If the NBA agrees that the little half shove towards hump's face was a punch, then i predict a slightly less sever punishment for the knicks nuggets brawl.

Considering Nate, who pretty much played the rondo roll in that one pre carmelo cheap shots, got 10 and 6 respectively, I don't think 5 is so outrageous given Rondo's discipline history.

I hope I'm wrong and It's 1 or none, but 5 wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

I think 5 to 10 games because David Stern will want to show Adam Silver how it's done.

I guess this is one way to solve the minutes issue for the guards.

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Anyone else notice Donnys immediate reaction? Clapping, laughing, and gloating about the scrum? Then at the post game he did a complete 180 and derided the whole thing? Can we please send this guy to Miami now, to carry Ray Allens bag of balls?

I was going to write something about that. His whole attitude change right after the commerical at half time. I can only assume someone gave him an earful about cheering on that behavior. Personally I'm okay with Rondo's pushing the guy. I don't believe he thought about it. People get caught up in the emotion of the game and he was defending a team mate.
Once again I see the woosafication of the NBA. Sorry but I didn't see anything so bad. Some pushing and shoving. Give out some fouls, tell them to cut the crap, and move on.
The league is a joke. Can't touch a guy at half court and it not a foul. Let them play. I don't turn on the game to watch a free throw shooting contest, of which Pierce would have lost badly, but I digress.
Really, I know I'm old school, but the fouls, techs, over refing are killing the game. Sorry for the rant, but I remember McHale taking down Rambus and he receive a foul. End story. Nothing that bad happened last night.
I don't think I am particularly blood thirsty, but I am old school, too.  The refs and rules are really ruining my enjoyment of the game, to the point where after being a 50 year fan, I am almost ready to quit on basketball.  I say 0 suspensions...ejections were enough.  They all left the court with no problem after receiving it.

I agree with both of you. I mean the fact that we are discussing suspensions when there wasn't even a punch thrown is ridiculous. I mean i saw a lot of pushing, shoving, scratching, possibly biting but come on..

Can we bring back the old NBA where there was less flopping and guys knew if they wanted to talk all day they'd have to back it up. It held everyone more accountable. Ya you could take liberties with someone, but after it was expected that you had to keep your head on a swivel because someone would always even the score.

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Here is what I don't get. Rajon Rondo 100 percent initiates an altercation that ends up in the stands putting fans, and in one case a little kid in harms way, and it seems there are many on this blog who don't think Rondo deserves a suspension. This thing ended up in the crowd and some people could have really gotten hurt. What am I missing?

Ya, come to think of it - you're 100% right, Vinnie

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
EDIT: Check PM's.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:32:58 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Its a good point.  And if he is suspended, this will be why.  But I just am having a hard time comparing this with fights where actual punches were thrown.  I think if this happened in the middle of the court, there wouldn't even be much of a chance of suspension.  But because of where it happened, and the NBA's focus on keeping things safe for the fans, I can definitely see the argument for him getting a suspension.

But I still would be shocked if its any more than maybe 2-3 games max.  I hear the comparisons to the Knicks fight a few years ago, where long suspensions were given out, but that was a much more intense situation with a lot of punches thrown, and a lot more escalation. 

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He absolutely deserves and will get a suspension. I'll be happy if it's just 5 games. There is a precedent already of a 10-game suspension for fighting in the stands -- not to mention that he threw a closed-fist punch.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:03 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

Old School Basketball maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO8iXi6092Y

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Clearly two different eras.

I'm not coming at the alter of justice, pleading you to think of the children; I'm just saying based on the actions he took in the modern NBA that a lengthy suspension should be expected.

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36

Okay logic then - if you sit court side, you have to accept the fact that you may have a player land on you.  Two dudes tussling in the stands is no different than a player diving for a ball.  Or should we start fining players for hustling for balls now? 

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He absolutely deserves and will get a suspension. I'll be happy if it's just 5 games. There is a precedent already of a 10-game suspension for fighting in the stands -- not to mention that he threw a closed-fist punch.

Wait, he threw a closed fist punch?  I never saw that.  Is there good footage of that?

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

Clearly two different eras.

I'm not coming at the alter of justice, pleading you to think of the children; I'm just saying based on the actions he took in the modern NBA that a lengthy suspension should be expected.

Well if Bynums near decapitation of a prone and miniscule JJ Barea got him seven games then it should be a lot less than that. Two MAX.