Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28424 times)

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
I'd say one, but because it went into the fans, there's a good chance he'll get two.
I don't think Rondo punched Humphries; it was more of a 'double-stiff-wristed-open-handed' slap to the face.

I think Gerald Wallace needs to be suspended longer, though.  He just jumped right into it and attacked KG, who had done nothing at that point.  KG didn't even fight back, he was just trying to grab Rondo.  Same for Pierce, but Reggie Evans was grabbing him.  I don't think Evans should get in trouble, but Wallace pulled an absolute bush league move on KG.  Disgusting

That's actually a great point.  It going into the fans may play a factor in a suspension decision.  I'm still sticking with 0 or 1, but excellent point.

I was in the Orlando game almost in that spot
If rondo and kg do that with me there I die of happiness
hug them and

and forgive their suspension

lol

I was in section 101 row C, would have had a great view of the fight, not on the floor though - wife and I said the same thing though, we would have cheered on brave gladiator Rondo as he faced and bested Mr. Kardasian in mortal combat. 

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
History or not, any suspension would be pathetic.  It wasn't a dirty move during a basketball play where somebody could get hurt.  That's what suspensions are for.  This was a scuffle.  We see scuffles in the NBA (of varying severity) every month.

It wasn't even a KG elbow to the face after the play.  It was a player getting in another player's face after the play.  Definitely a fine, arguably an ejection, if it's a suspension the league is weaker than ever.  Players react in the heat of the moment and emotions come out.  As long as nobody is trying to start a fight (ie punches) I don't think it's a huge deal.

Rondo both shoved and punched Humphries.

From 1/29/11:

The NBA suspended Marvin Williams (Atl) for 2 games and Shawne Williams(NY) for 1 game for their altercation during Friday's Atl-NY game where MWilliams threw 2 punches and SWilliams threw 1 punch.

That is the most recent incident I found of an NBA punch leading to a suspension.

Marvin had been suspended prior.

Interesting. Before reading this, I was going to say that there is now way Rondo gets less than three games.

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
I'd say one, but because it went into the fans, there's a good chance he'll get two.
I don't think Rondo punched Humphries; it was more of a 'double-stiff-wristed-open-handed' slap to the face.

I think Gerald Wallace needs to be suspended longer, though.  He just jumped right into it and attacked KG, who had done nothing at that point.  KG didn't even fight back, he was just trying to grab Rondo.  Same for Pierce, but Reggie Evans was grabbing him.  I don't think Evans should get in trouble, but Wallace pulled an absolute bush league move on KG.  Disgusting

That's actually a great point.  It going into the fans may play a factor in a suspension decision.  I'm still sticking with 0 or 1, but excellent point.

I still think there is no way he gets less than three. The only thing that holds me back from that is the post above about the Williams suspension.

I also agree that Wallace should get at least one for his part. He went in looking to fight, you could see the expression on KGs face go,"get off me im going to get Rondo." And my favorite part of the clip is when Doc comes up to Wallace with the puzzled expression pushes him back and basically says, "What are you doin?"

Regardless, what a dumb move by Rondo. The only reason he did this was because Humphries blocked him a few plays prior. I love the fact of sticking up for your teammate. But this was just an overblown punk move and to be missing Rondo is not what the Celtics need at all right now.

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Anyone else notice Donnys immediate reaction? Clapping, laughing, and gloating about the scrum? Then at the post game he did a complete 180 and derided the whole thing? Can we please send this guy to Miami now, to carry Ray Allens bag of balls?

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36

I still think there is no way he gets less than three. The only thing that holds me back from that is the post above about the Williams suspension.

I also agree that Wallace should get at least one for his part. He went in looking to fight, you could see the expression on KGs face go,"get off me im going to get Rondo." And my favorite part of the clip is when Doc comes up to Wallace with the puzzled expression pushes him back and basically says, "What are you doin?"

Regardless, what a dumb move by Rondo. The only reason he did this was because Humphries blocked him a few plays prior. I love the fact of sticking up for your teammate. But this was just an overblown punk move and to be missing Rondo is not what the Celtics need at all right now.

How do you know what Rondo's motive was?  Seriously, how can you just throw that out there? 

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Haven't read the thread yet, but I really don't see any suspensions coming from this, unless I really missed something.  I think it was just a shoving match, that looked worse than it was, because of where it was on the court (going into the crowd), and the pig pile that resulted.  No punches or elbows thrown, just Rondo pushing Kardashian, and Kardashian going back to his Minnesota roots, and trying to pull Rondo's hockey jersey over his head.  They paid the price with the ejections.  No need for more. 

As for being a dumb move by Rondo...yeah, it was.  But I also think it was a calculated move by a guy who is trying to be a leader on a team that needed a spark.  This game had gotten rough, and Rondo saw a chance to show his teammates that he is willing to fight for them.  Not a great idea for a guy you need on the court.  But at least he sees that something needs to happen to light a fire under this team. 

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think at least 3-5 based on:

1.Rondo's history
2.Rondo was the aggressor
3.it could be perceived (and was by many) that Rondo threw at least one punch
4.The incident went into the stands. I saw one clip where a little kid look awfully scared.

The fact that it went into the stands makes this rise to a different level of scrutiny.

I think the league comes down hard on this. (Hoping I am wrong.)

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
This day and age you just cant do this but to me..its basketball. Everyone following and in this league are soft. As if Larry bird never started a scrum or had a great attitude....much worse ones actually but he was allowed to stay in and compete and no doubt in my mind rondo would've taken over the game if they just let them play. Hope no one is on some moral high horse. Rondo detractors are thrilled.....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:35:25 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Anyone else notice Donnys immediate reaction? Clapping, laughing, and gloating about the scrum? Then at the post game he did a complete 180 and derided the whole thing? Can we please send this guy to Miami now, to carry Ray Allens bag of balls?
Miami is too good for him.  How about send him to cover the rugby league in Afganistan?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

How do you know what Rondo's motive was?  Seriously, how can you just throw that out there?

He's pulling a felger, who said on Sports tonight that Rondo knew the Streak was likely over (since he had 3 assists at the time) and got himself tossed so he could say "well i would have broken it but.."

Mike is a moron.

As to the suspension, I'm thinking 5 at least, because SC is doing nothing but playing footage of that scared kid they almost trampled and calling it a "scary moment" where they "brawled in the stands!"

you know how stern feels about any kind of interaction with the crowd, and Rondo has a history.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Why else would he push Humphries out of the way? You could just tell he didnt like that Humphries made that play on him, and then fell ontop of him afterwards. Im sure there were some words exchanged there. Then he got his chance to "get him back" so to speak. Unnecessary fould by Humphries but I dont think it was "dirty" or in any wya warranted a push into the stands. (Even though I cant stand him and as a rondo fan he got what he deserved).

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

He's pulling a felger, who said on Sports tonight that Rondo knew the Streak was likely over (since he had 3 assists at the time) and got himself tossed so he could say "well i would have broken it but.."

Mike is a moron.

As to the suspension, I'm thinking 5 at least, because SC is doing nothing but playing footage of that scared kid they almost trampled and calling it a "scary moment" where they "brawled in the stands!"

you know how stern feels about any kind of interaction with the crowd, and Rondo has a history.

Felger isn't a moron, he is a contrarian. 

As for the suspension, has there ever been a suspension anywhere close to that, when no punches were thrown?

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Why else would he push Humphries out of the way?

Because Humphries just gave (what looked like) a hard foul on his teammate?  Like I said before, I do think it was calculated by Rondo, to try to get his teammates fired up.  But I don't think had anything to do with a block from earlier in the game. 

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
No idea what Stern will do.

My opinion:

No way on earth does anything that happened warrant a suspension, for either team.

THERE WAS NO PUNCH THROWN BY RONDO.

If anyone actually thinks there was a punch, I'm guessing you've either never thrown one, nor received one.  It was a push, point blank.

Personally, I loved how Rondo stood up for KG.  That is a dude I would want on my side every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

One last point, Donnie Marshall is a wimpy piece of trash.  FIRE HIM NOW!

I don't know where you guys are getting this. Most of the announcers and reporters who were at the game said Rondo clearly threw a punch and probably two punches. He will get suspended for a minimum of 3 games and deserves it. Some day he will grow up and become a real leader on this team. Then again, maybe not.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:14:53 AM by vinnie »

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

I was going to write something about that. His whole attitude change right after the commerical at half time. I can only assume someone gave him an earful about cheering on that behavior. Personally I'm okay with Rondo's pushing the guy. I don't believe he thought about it. People get caught up in the emotion of the game and he was defending a team mate.
Once again I see the woosafication of the NBA. Sorry but I didn't see anything so bad. Some pushing and shoving. Give out some fouls, tell them to cut the crap, and move on.
The league is a joke. Can't touch a guy at half court and it not a foul. Let them play. I don't turn on the game to watch a free throw shooting contest, of which Pierce would have lost badly, but I digress.
Really, I know I'm old school, but the fouls, techs, over refing are killing the game. Sorry for the rant, but I remember McHale taking down Rambus and he receive a foul. End story. Nothing that bad happened last night.