Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28272 times)

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2012, 01:01:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Meh.  Just because something "just is" doesn't make it right.

I don't see any good reason to make sports "safer".  I WANT my sports to be "gladiator" in nature.  That is part of the entertainment value.  Players have the choice to not play if they feel the sport is too dangerous (though I guess I could just stop watching as well).

Asking players to be able to draw the line between being hyper-competitive, but, at the same time, asking them to curtail the "overly physical, confrontational contact" is absurd.  Intensity is a switch that is not easily turned on/off during the heat of the moment.

As a spectator, I agree with you. I love fights, hard fouls, helicopter hits, helmet to helmet contact, and again, FIGHTS.

As a former and current player, I'm very happy for the rules, because the toll they take on the players is just too great.

Now Rondo's little kerfuffle is hardly on that level, but what if one of the punches he did or didn't throw had shattered Humpty hump's face? People demonized Kermit Washington, but it was one hard sucker punch. Could've ended in nothing. Could've just knocked Rudy T on his behind and left it at that.

But it didn't, and the palace happened, and thems the rules.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't care if he gets suspended for 10 games. It's about time a Celtic stepped up and protected themselves and sent notice to the League we are not going to be whipping boys anymore. KG, Pierce and Rondo have been getting roughed up for years now. HOORAY CELTS.

« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't care if he gets suspended for 10 games. It's about time a Celtic stepped up and protected themselves and sent notice to the League we are not going to be whipping boys anymore. KG, Pierce and Rondo have been getting roughed up for years now. HOORAY CELTS.

I'm not sure I agree with the "notice to the league" stuff, but I do think that his teammates got a boost of passion from Rondo's actions.  This team needed something to roust them from their early season slumber.

Let's hope they can stay awake for a little while.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2012, 05:39:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'm not sure I agree with the "notice to the league" stuff, but I do think that his teammates got a boost of passion from Rondo's actions.  This team needed something to roust them from their early season slumber.

Let's hope they can stay awake for a little while.

This is what I think. Seeing Rondo go out there, give up his assist streak, and go after Humphries when KG went down was a great way to send a message to the new guys and light a fire underneath the squad.
I think it'll only spark more when Avery is back pressuring the point guard full court all game.
Can't wait till our defense starts clicking consistently.
We have so many scorers that we will be a nightmare team to face come playoff time.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

This is what I think. Seeing Rondo go out there, give up his assist streak, and go after Humphries when KG went down was a great way to send a message to the new guys and light a fire underneath the squad.
I think it'll only spark more when Avery is back pressuring the point guard full court all game.
Can't wait till our defense starts clicking consistently.
We have so many scorers that we will be a nightmare team to face come playoff time.
TP, I agree with this, except that I think if Lee's defense keeps improving, (I have been impressed with Lee's defense we may be able to do it without Bradley. It would be better with Bradley and he is  the best option, but I am not willing to count on him until he is actually on the court and proves that he can play at or near last year's form.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I am Rondo's biggest fan and cheerleader, but I am interested in how the team does without him, and curious about the team's fit and execution when he comes back.

It may be that Rondo has not changed his game to fit his new team mates, and that would have to be addressed.
Maybe he is still relying too much on, or deferring to, PP and KG.

I still think Rondo is the best point guard in the league, and am NOT suggesting that we trade him, just make game adjustments!   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!