Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28364 times)

Re: Rondo gets two games
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This seems about right.  The actual "fight" was pretty weak, but 2 games for taking it into the crowd. 

« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I guess I'm just going to have to accept I live in a world run by sissies.

Oh well, you earned my respect, Rondo.
Yeah, because punching someone makes you a tough guy. What's that, middle school?

No one said it made him a tough guy or that it was handled the right way but it showed everyone he will confront a bigger man to back his teammates to try and turn what is a soft team around and what we already know...rondo is exteremly competetive and it occasionally goes to far....who do you think he learned this from? Gee couldn't be kg...except he usually chooses a small white guy to prove his point

« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I guess I'm just going to have to accept I live in a world run by sissies.

Oh well, you earned my respect, Rondo.

The important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to "the world" based on a basketball suspension.

Content:  I was thinking one game but two isn't that surprising.  Just deal with it and move on, it'll be forgotten by the New Year.

« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't get how Rondo gets 2 for a shoving match...didn't Artest only get 7 for taking Harden's head off?

« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Two games sounds appropriate all things considered.

It's gonna blow not having Rondo around but the team needs to live with it and hopefully thrive on the adversity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Rondo did what had to be done...you'd know if you ever played before....that is how it is...it IS a game, but it is also a gladiator event...you know that.....no one, no way, never does that to my team, once you get that across to the league.....the dirty fouls STOP...you play clean as long as they do, then you do what you need to if they don't.

« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo speaks:

"I thought the play on Kevin was a malicious play," said Rondo. "I got hurt last summer on a similar play like that, a guy going up in the air defenseless, on his way down.

"I don't think I did anything dirty. I didn't try to start a riot. I don't think it's more than just a pushing war that started."

Maybe this is how Rondo expects his teammates to react and have his back if Dirty Dwyane Wade tries something in the future.

Unapologetic wont earn any future goodwill from the commish, but it makes a heck of a soundbite

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What punch?
It wasn't a statement. It was a question.

Getting ejected, suspended, and losing a game doesn't make you a tough guy. It makes you a well-rounded loser.

All of the players that have been suspended are well-rounded losers?

« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
guess they are both immature and not capable of leading a team either since they were much older than Rondo is now when they got ejected.
Neither of them tossed anyone into the stands. Neither of them was suspended. Neither of them was was suspended. Neither of them has a history of multiple suspensions in a short period of time. There's just no way to spin this for Rondo. It's not good.

Garnett was suspended for a game in the Miami series and Rondo didn't toss anyone into the stands.

« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »

Offline Kay.B09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 10
So, I've been thinking about this on and off all day. Last night, as a big fan of Rondo as an even bigger fan of the Celtics, I was torn as to his actions jeopardized his reputation, but more importantly the team. Basically, as a fan of his, I really don't want him to garner this bad reputation, but at the same time I question whether his actions will hurt our team in the future as he is our future franchise player.

With that being said, I've come to the conclusion that I love what Rondo did. I know the game has evolved in the past decade and any type of aggressive play is not permitted and often frowned upon, but I honestly think that's one of the biggest problems with the league of today. I'm 25. I caught the very tail end of the 80s and all of the 90s and I miss what I witnessed as a child. I understand the game has changed, but one thing that shouldn't be distilled from these players is passion. Yeah we have a league full of talented, athletic freaks such as LeBron James, but most of these glorified superstars often seem like they are in it for the fame and the money. The league is too commercial and focuses way too much on selling a shiny, perfect product rather than really selling the game of basketball itself.

As a Celtics fan my entire life, I know what this franchise stands for transcends beyond the game. We stand for tradition, heart, intensity, family, passion, and dedication. It always comes even more apparent when we struggle such as our 20 year drought, the death of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis, the Rick Pitino era, and even now. We have a dedicated fan base, front office, and players. You see Paul Pierce never gave up and left even after years of struggle. We stick together.

Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, and  Paul Pierce have been playing together for over 6 years. They've traveled around the country, world, and won a championship together. I think it's pretty safe to conclude that they're more than just teammates. They're close friends, a brotherhood. I have no problem with Rondo standing up for a friend and a teammate, especially as the leader of this team. They're in this together.

Rondo plays with fire in his eyes. He's in a mission. Him and Garnett rip their hearts out of their chests and lay it on the floor every single game. I commend any passionate player for that. Sadly, you don't really come across that anymore. Players now are cold, calculated, and manufactured.

Play for more than just to win. Make a statement. Write a story. Shed blood, sweat, and tears. So far our story this season has been rather uncouth. Hopefully, Rondo's actions opened a new chapter of this team finally coming together, gaining an identity, and rebuilding a name for itself. You can't show someone who you are if you, yourself, don't know who you are. I've found myself questioning who exactly this team is many times this season. That's a big problem.

/End rant

« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
sadly its not up to Rondo and hin increased role and PP and KG and their own decreased role
its up to the others...............hope that works
hope they got the message
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It's an example of how much more physical play was back in the 80's and early 90's. If something like that happened today, you'd have technical fouls, ejections, fines, multiple game suspensions, and tons of outrage from all the broadcasters and analysts about how it was a horribly cheap shot and how lucky it is that Rambis wasn't paralyzed or killed or even worse. At the time of the incident, though, all that happened was that McHale got whistled for a foul and Rambis shot free throws. No techs, no ejections, nothing. Boston was trailing by six when the foul occurred, but they went on to win in OT and took the series in 7 games.

Edgar says: I am not saying thats all right...I am just saying its a game and its impossible as in mision imposible not to do that, when you are there playing for something u love. temperament always come to surface and usually  happens

its tough its easy to critizice if youre in LA or brook side here its imposible if youre on the other side
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Edgar that is a remarkably rational and accurate answer. Tp!

« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd also say all that '80s game would've just been a hard foul, people are too sensitive and why does Pepsi taste different now and how come kids listen to hippidy hop??' stuff, it's the way games work. Rugby union just outlawed their most electrifying hits, football used to not call you 'down' until 3 guys were burying your corpse, and if you happened to run out of bounds on the opposing teams sideline, you were gonna find out quick what a clothesline is. It's the nature of the games we play. They get safer, mostly.

Did you guys know Teddy Roosevelt tried reallly hard to abolish football, because people kept dying, during the games?

« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Meh.  Just because something "just is" doesn't make it right.

I don't see any good reason to make sports "safer".  I WANT my sports to be "gladiator" in nature.  That is part of the entertainment value.  Players have the choice to not play if they feel the sport is too dangerous (though I guess I could just stop watching as well).

Asking players to be able to draw the line between being hyper-competitive, but, at the same time, asking them to curtail the "overly physical, confrontational contact" is absurd.  Intensity is a switch that is not easily turned on/off during the heat of the moment.