Author Topic: Rondo suspension thread..  (Read 28270 times)

Re: Rondo suspension thread..
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Even with that said though, I don't like fighting, but I understand that emotions run high in competitive sports and sometimes pushing, shoving and brawling happens. I think it is part of the game, just not an official part of it. 

I think the main gist of the argument is that it is more than a 'non-official' element of basketball. It is an element of basketball that has been explicitly singled out for years by the administration as an element they want to phase out. And as a sub-category of that element, they REALLY want to phase out any spill over over of the fighting between players and the fans watching the game.

And that's why Rondo's probably going to get suspended.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36
Even with that said though, I don't like fighting, but I understand that emotions run high in competitive sports and sometimes pushing, shoving and brawling happens. I think it is part of the game, just not an official part of it. 

I think the main gist of the argument is that it is more than a 'non-official' element of basketball. It is an element of basketball that has been explicitly singled out for years by the administration as an element they want to phase out. And as a sub-category of that element, they REALLY want to phase out any spill over over of the fighting between players and the fans watching the game.

And that's why Rondo's probably going to get suspended.

I can agree with that - it is definitely being phased out, much to the chagrin of those of us who first tuned in 25 years ago. 

But honestly, how cool would it have been to have Rondo trying to pummel him in your lap?  My preggo wife aside, sounds pretty fun as long as it was harmless and broken up properly.

I think twitter does more damage than a small fight at the game.  That whole thing with Kris Humphries posting his scratches just seems like he's trying to incite further punishment on Rondo.  In the past, players seem to get punished worse if they keep talking about it, which he seems to enjoy doing.  I really hope he gets the same punishment.  I like basketball and I hate twitter. 

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Maybe "Moonbeam" Humphries will get an extra fine for indecent exposure.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
After reading this thread in it entirety, all I can do is sigh.

What a sad, wimpy, pathetic society we have become, when a minor skirmish like this is seen as some sort of "heinous act".

It was a pushing match.  Wimps!

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Rondo put his forearm into Kardashian's chest.  Kardashian grabbed Rondo by the back of the neck and the players tumbled backwards. It looked to me like Rondo, besides the initial forearm, was the victim here.  When a guy almost a foot taller than you has you by the back of the neck, the common reaction is to struggle to get away from him. 

I'll be very disappointed if Rondo is suspended.  No punches were thrown.  If they're going to suspend players when they tussle and end up in the stands, they have to suspend them EVERY time.  Lamar Odom was suspended one game for a flagrant foul when he body blocked Ray Allen into the stands (nice job, LO, please do it again), but he wasn't suspended for going into the stands. 

No punches, no fight, no suspension.  Let's stop the wussification of American sports right here and now. 

« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
After reading this thread in it entirety, all I can do is sigh.

What a sad, wimpy, pathetic society we have become, when a minor skirmish like this is seen as some sort of "heinous act".

It was a pushing match.  Wimps!

I think you need to re-read this then. I don't see anyone really acting like it was a volatile act, just speculating there'll be a suspension based on it ending up in the crowd.

« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo put his forearm into Kardashian's chest.  Kardashian grabbed Rondo by the back of the neck and the players tumbled backwards. It looked to me like Rondo, besides the initial forearm, was the victim here.  When a guy almost a foot taller than you has you by the back of the neck, the common reaction is to struggle to get away from him. 

From what I saw, words aside, Rondo was the initiator, and the aggressor for the entire incident.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

From what I saw, words aside, Rondo was the initiator, and the aggressor for the entire incident.

The Judge Dredd of the altercation?

« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, there is this:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

After the initial forearm, I saw Rondo as being pushed along with the tide when the pile up ensued.  I didn't see him punching or doing anything particularly aggressive. 

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I like how everyone is acting like Larry Bird diddnt get in numerous fights. With him it was that he was "tough". With Rondo he has "anger problems". Grow up you little girls these are grown men.

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
Also, there is this:

Nice pic.  The smoking gun.  Rondo didn't push Kardashian into the crowd.  He tripped on KG's impossibly skinny leg, and pulled Rondo in on top of him. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:40:28 PM by TripleOT »

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Jackie M. ripping Rondo for his immaturity and lack of control and ripping the team big time on WEEI right now.
The same woman who gets lady boners when talking about Bird's fighting antics.

« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I'll be very disappointed if Rondo is suspended.  No punches were thrown.  If they're going to suspend players when they tussle and end up in the stands, they have to suspend them EVERY time.  Lamar Odom was suspended one game for a flagrant foul when he body blocked Ray Allen into the stands (nice job, LO, please do it again), but he wasn't suspended for going into the stands. 

No punches, no fight, no suspension.  Let's stop the wussification of American sports right here and now.
LOVE IT, tp
i miss the days of basketball players fighting (like that), refs break it up give a few techs and get on with the game
i have no problem with humphries foul, yes it should have been a t
i have no problem with rondo shoving humphries, again a t
humprhies grabbed rondo at that point and it escalated, that was the main issue

to me the bad guy was wallace coming in late and hard
don't need a rudy incident

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He was definitely the initiator. I thought much of what happened after that was Humphries pulling Rondo, first his elbow sleeve and then his jersey.