Author Topic: This board's obsession with trading Green throws me off!  (Read 2120 times)

This board's obsession with trading Green throws me off!
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Seriously, give him some time to settle. You have already seen what he is capable of doing with his occasional flashes.

He was always the third man on the team and didn't have to contribute much since Durant and Westbrook always took the heavy load of the game.

Then he gets traded to Boston mid-season and plays in an entirely different offensive and defensive system.

Then he doesn't play for a year because of an injury.

Then he returns with the Celtics and is asked to perform at a high level, which is completely opposite of his role in OKC where his contribution was more of a bonus to team than anything else. It will take him time. It will take him time to turn from an extremely nice guy into something very competitive. It will take him time accept his role as a "major" player and perform accordingly. It will take him time to bring that consistency, something that didn't affect the game much during his stay with OKC.

Seriously, some of you guys are not only pathetic, you are beyond it.

Yes, we need him to do all that stuff NOW, not later, but he is a human, in case you forgot.

Now to those who say, "But he was outstanding during the pre-season, what about that?"...He was purposely put as the number 1 option on the floor by Doc Rivers for the majority of the games, hence he flourished. Now, we are asking him to be the fourth option, while performing as if he is the number 1 option.

You guys think its so easy to go through what he has and then play amazingly after it. Its not!

Almost every day, there is a new thread in which we propose that we will get someone else by trading Jeff Green away. Are you serious?

Trading him away creates two major problems:
1. Our bench literally gets destroyed. Jeff Green is the best player off the bench, whether you like it or not. Trading him away ruins the bench advantage we have.

2. If we trade Green away, then we majorly damage our reputation as a free agency destination. No one will want to come here. I mean seriously? You don't perform well despite the management knowing what you are capable of doing and you get traded? You tell the management that you really want to play there and only want to play there and they trade you away? Do you not realize how bad that will hurt our reputation?

Stop being so foolish. There are times when even Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant don't perform well. That doesn't mean that they are instantly put on the trading block.

Re: This board's obsession with trading Green throws me off!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm advocating the idea that Green should stay with this team for the foreseeable future, but..

He was always the third man on the team and didn't have to contribute much since Durant and Westbrook always took the heavy

Then he returns with the Celtics and is asked to perform at a high level, which is completely opposite of his role in OKC where his contribution was more of a bonus to team than anything else. It will take him time. It will take him time to turn from an extremely nice guy into something very competitive. It will take him time accept his role as a "major" player and perform accordingly. It will take him time to bring that consistency, something that didn't affect the game much during his stay with OKC.

How exactly the third best player's performance on a team is "bonus"? Look at it from Celtics' perspective and it would either be Paul or KG. Is either one's performance bonus for this team?
Plus, he isn't a major player right now. He backs up Paul who plays around 35 minute mark and also backs up at PF.
How exactly a sixth man's role can be major (unless you are in the class Manu Ginobili's of this world belong and Green isn't)?
In fact, when Bradley returns to the lineup, that will push Terry to the sixth man role, and Green to the seventh man role.
Green should be able to handle the seventh man role, I suppose.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm not even sure how to respond to this ridiculous post.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If some cbloggers can complain about rondo continuously then green can't be above it.  If green were on the team last year a hobbled Paul pierce has a more than capable backup against Lebron.  In other words we win.  Green >pietrus.

My guess is some cant get over the perk trade and will forever harass Jeff green.
As I  see it Ainge has the next generation in place when kg and pp move to bench or retire.
Rondo, lee, Bradley, green and sullinger is a nice core.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Jeff Green is like Power Ball, you win it once you think you can win it every time. Fools Gold. I suggest you stop going by what you hope and wish and look at reality of his career. Hes inconsistent and not that good. What more do you need to know about him that tells you otherwise?

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This.

I think Green is in so many trade proposals is because he is the best option for us to get an all star big man to add to the starting lineup. If we can do that, its a no brainer to do so.

In the preseason, Green was the number one option because he needed a good run to get him in game shape and get him in rhythm again. Just because he played against non NBA players and dominated future D league guys doesnt mean much to me.

I also like the point in the post where you say "it will take him time to turn from an extremely nice guy into a competitive guy". Dudes been playing basketball for 26 years? How much time are we supposed to give him to turn competitive?

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
Jeff Green is like Power Ball, you win it once you think you can win it every time. Fools Gold. I suggest you stop going by what you hope and wish and look at reality of his career. Hes inconsistent and not that good. What more do you need to know about him that tells you otherwise?
Tell me more about how you followed his career in OKC and knew it since then that he wasn't consistent.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown

This.

I think Green is in so many trade proposals is because he is the best option for us to get an all star big man to add to the starting lineup. If we can do that, its a no brainer to do so.

In the preseason, Green was the number one option because he needed a good run to get him in game shape and get him in rhythm again. Just because he played against non NBA players and dominated future D league guys doesnt mean much to me.

I also like the point in the post where you say "it will take him time to turn from an extremely nice guy into a competitive guy". Dudes been playing basketball for 26 years? How much time are we supposed to give him to turn competitive?
There is a difference. In today's league, most "nice" guys cannot compete at the level we need them to be because they are far too nice to destroy their opponents and talk trash and get themselves aggressive. That is why LeBron is a winner and Durant isn't. Hate him as much as you want, but LeBron is far more competitive than Durant. He is the type of player that fits the Celtics system, not an extremely nice guy like Durant or Green who thinks 10 times before destroying his opponents.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I like Green and root for him to succeed. But Im also okay trading him if the right piece's come back.

When people trade him for a big and get no SF in return it drives me nuts. We can't leave PP alone at the 3 and hope Peach's is still around in a month in a half.

I do agree that Green and Lee are a tough trade to make from a FA stand point. If they trade both because the first half of the season hasn't gone well, how many big name FA's are going to want to come after that. Boston already has a tough time with it, can't throw more gas on that fire.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yeah, Jeff Green could use a BIG ol dose of KOBE's attitude , confidence and energy

If he was playing his TAIL off and not scoring would one thing, but , but if Green;s shot is off , he sulks and stands around and sorta "GETs OUT OF THE WAY" for others to take over,  that just isn't how to be sucessful in the NBA in my opinion.

Watch SULLY , he NEVER gives up , he may be a having a bad day , but he is always going 100%.

Green is a "HEAD CASE"

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

This.

There is a difference. In today's league, most "nice" guys cannot compete at the level we need them to be because they are far too nice to destroy their opponents and talk trash and get themselves aggressive. That is why LeBron is a winner and Durant isn't. Hate him as much as you want, but LeBron is far more competitive than Durant. He is the type of player that fits the Celtics system, not an extremely nice guy like Durant or Green who thinks 10 times before destroying his opponents.

How did you come to the conclusion that Kevin Durant is not a winner?
Because he has failed to carry a team without veteran presence to the championship at the age of 24?

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The most realistic trade ideas for Green are the ones that other teams will assign a value to Green that is similar to the value given to Green by the person proposing the trade,
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Dude this was you like a week ago.

Green is just like the rest of the bench. Plays worse than trash for 5-6 games, then makes up for it with one highlight play and everyone starts thinking good of him again.

Sorry but I just don't understand how you think.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I never consider trading him, primarily because his value is at an all-time low.

As a matter of fact I think trade value is pretty low right now for any of our "assets" - Lee, JET, Bass, Green, Bradley, etc.

I think the only players who have improved their trade value since the beginning of the year are Rondo, Sullinger and Wilcox.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Trading jeff green should be the last thing on celtics fans minds. He has potential to be the best player on the celtics and a top 20 player in the league. he has great skill, plays with heart and a good attitude towards winning.