Author Topic: Anybody still want Ersan Illyasova?  (Read 6987 times)

Re: Anybody still want Ersan Illyasova?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Jeff Green can defend and rebound his position (good defender/rebounder = good defense, adequate rebounding) and he has a solid well-rounded offensive skill-set (complementary offensive threat, 4th or 5th option).

Green has very good physical tools. Very good size. Solid strength and quickness. That helps him a lot defensively. Rarely gets overpowered by physically imposing players. This is important when matching up against the better players at your position.

Green is a terrible rebounder. So far this season, he's grabbed 13.2% of available defensive rebounds, which ranks him 60th in the league at PF and 48th in the league at SF. His career averages are just about the same. In no way does this make him a "good" or even "adequate" rebounder. Just the opposite

In OKC as in Boston, his teams have generally performed better defensively when he's on the bench. That would indicate that he's also not a good or solid defender. it indicates he's below average to terrible

Green does have any interesting set of physical attributes. Too bad he hasn't put any of those to use in his NBA career.

Jeff Green is a solid defender at the SF position. He is a very poor defender at the PF position. Paul Pierce is a well above average defender at the SF position. Pierce, for my money, is still the better individual defender at the SF position versus Green. Boston should play better defense when Pierce is on the floor and Green on the bench. Not sure if there is much difference in the proportion of playing time alongside Garnett, Rondo, Lee versus than those undersized lineups between the two players. That can effect team numbers on/off defensive stats.

Jeff Green is an adequate rebounder at the SF position. He is a very poor rebounder at the PF position. As a PF, Green is lousy at grabbing rebounds and terrible at keeping his opponent off the glass. As a SF, in Boston Jeff Green has grabbed a sub-par number of rebounds for his position but has generally kept pace with his counterpart at the SF position. In the past in Oklahoma, as a SF, Green usually grabbed an average number of rebounds and was either slightly ahead or near to his opponent's number of rebounds (I forget which). Combine that with his solid defense and his team should expect a small bump in team rebounding while he is on the floor given the increased number of missed shot attempts from the opponent and largely neutral individual board work at the SF position.

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So a tweener forward who had one solid year and got paid a fortune isn't living up to the hype?  Shocking!

These athletic 3/4s are quietly sneaking up on centers in the category of overpaid disappointments.  Green, Ilyasova, Gerald Wallace, Marvin Williams, Tyrus Thomas, Andre Kirilenko (his last contract), Thaddeus Young, etc.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Well no, I wanted Hawes and/or Mayo, but all the Ersan-lovers kept saying they were all hype and no substance ::)
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
So a tweener forward who had one solid year and got paid a fortune isn't living up to the hype?  Shocking!

These athletic 3/4s are quietly sneaking up on centers in the category of overpaid disappointments.  Green, Ilyasova, Gerald Wallace, Marvin Williams, Tyrus Thomas, Andre Kirilenko (his last contract), Thaddeus Young, etc.
Why include Wallace and Kirilenko with the other guys? Those two are established players in the NBA. Wallace's main shortcoming over his career is injury, not performance.

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Ilyasova is not athletic. He's just a stretch 4 who rebounded over his head in a contract year.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Ersan Illyasova will not win you a championship.

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ersan Illyasova will not win you a championship.

He could. As a backup 4 who changes the face of your offense off the bench. In the same way Jason Terry could win you a championship, or Ben Gordon. But he probably can't as a starting 4, much like Ryan Anderson.

He's better than this:

Ilyasova is not athletic. He's just a stretch 4 who rebounded over his head in a contract year.

But he's not as bad as he looks right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Not on that contract.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Iim really happy Illy is playing poorly again so I can go back to honestly defending him. I did hate it so when he was playing so clearly above his head (by that I mean strictly the shooting). I'm a big fan of 'Turk Nowitzki', but I knew fools good when I saw it.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Ftr, if we could trade Green and Bass for Dunleavy and Illy, Id be all kinds of super pumped. I'd even throw in a first.

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ftr, if we could trade Green and Bass for Dunleavy and Illy, Id be all kinds of super pumped. I'd even throw in a first.

I'm surprised Dunleavy doesn't get more trade talk around here.  He'd be a great fit as the backup 3.  I guess the pie in the sky deals are always going to capture more hearts and minds.

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'm surprised Dunleavy doesn't get more trade talk around here.  He'd be a great fit as the backup 3.  I guess the pie in the sky deals are always going to capture more hearts and minds.
The problem with Dunleavy is that his defense is very limited after all his injury problems (no great shake before that but even worse now).

Dunleavy is a matchup limited player. His coach can only use him, can only expect for Dunleavy to provide productive minutes, when Dunleavy pitted against a limited offensive threat. Otherwise, as good as Dunleavy is offensively, he'll take more of the table defensively than he'll add on the other end. Scott Skiles has really done an excellent job of utilizing Dunleavy since Dunleavy went to Milwaukee. He's gotten the most out of him.

For the Celtics, a team that is planning to play Miami for the Eastern Conference, adding two players who are defensively deficient man-to-man defenders (Dunleavy, Ilyasova) at the forward positions + would leave Paul Pierce as the sole defensive option against LeBron James for 40+mpg in a playoff series ... is a bad option. 

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
YES!

He's got a contract alright, but compare to Jeff's it's a little reasonable.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
YES!

He's got a contract alright, but compare to Jeff's it's a little reasonable.

How do you figure?

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Dunleavy cant stop a sweet sack of oranges from scoring the basketball.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?