Author Topic: Anybody still want Ersan Illyasova?  (Read 6989 times)

Anybody still want Ersan Illyasova?
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I know there were A LOT of Ersan supporters this offseason. But man has he had an absolutely dismal start to the season.

Hes averaging 7 points and 5 boards a game with 1.4 assists and virtually no defensive stats. Hes shooting 35%!?! from the floor and 47% from the free throw line. He has only 4 double digit point games out of 12, one double digit rebound game, and no double doubles yet this season.

Finally hit a season high last night with 18 points, before that his high was 11.

Really liked his game last year, but whats going on? Hurt? Big contract troubles? Trouble fitting in?

Re: Anybody still want Ersan Illyasova?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I read in an article in NBA's website that he talked about changing schemes in the frontcourt.
Apparently, nothing has settled in Bucks' roster yet.
He has started the season well below average and could only get better after this point.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Always have wanted him! He just works super hard, he can score in so many ways, and he's a gifted rebounder.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Played out of his mind two month period. Bass steady and consistent>Ilyasova overpaid tweener.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
nope -- grossly overpaid for too many years. i want a couple of the players they may have to trade to make room for Ersan's success, however. Udoh, Sanders and Mbah a Moute come to mind.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I always wanted Ryan Anderson instead.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd be happy to have him, but not on the contract they gave him.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Another questions. Since they are making similar money.

Would you rather have Green or Ersan based on this years early production of each?

I go Green, just because Ersan has been completely dreadful, but some might think Green hasnt been much better. I think E.I. has more expectations from Bucks fans this year however.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Would you rather have Green or Ersan based on this years early production of each?

I go Green, just because Ersan has been completely dreadful, but some might think Green hasnt been much better. I think E.I. has more expectations from Bucks fans this year however.
In a vacuum, Ilyasova. His best year was better than Green's best year.

But his contract is a year longer and he's another PF who's not a rim protector. We have enough of those on this team.

Both are overpaid at their current production. Green is going to be overpaid until he can get big minutes. He'll be disappointing until he figures out how to be an impact reserve.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I always wanted Ryan Anderson instead.

Same.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Milwaukee gave Ilyasova a really bad contract this summer so it's not saying much ... but I take Jeff Green over Ilyasova at their respective contracts.

Jeff Green is a solid 35mpg starter in the league (SF) which is more than can be said about Ersan Ilyasova (PF). Ilyasova is still too weak as a man-to-man defender + is a so-so shot creator = to be a starting PF. Ilyasova is a very good backup PF in the 25mpg variety. Similar to a Brandon Bass albeit with a different skill-set (I prefer Ilyasova to Bass).

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Milwaukee gave Ilyasova a really bad contract this summer so it's not saying much ... but I take Jeff Green over Ilyasova at their respective contracts.

Jeff Green is a solid 35mpg starter in the league (SF) which is more than can be said about Ersan Ilyasova (PF). Ilyasova is still too weak as a man-to-man defender + is a so-so shot creator = to be a starting PF. Ilyasova is a very good backup PF in the 25mpg variety. Similar to a Brandon Bass albeit with a different skill-set (I prefer Ilyasova to Bass).
I hadn't compared Illyasova to Bass in my head, I really should have.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19

Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Jeff Green can defend and rebound his position (good defender/rebounder = good defense, adequate rebounding) and he has a solid well-rounded offensive skill-set (complementary offensive threat, 4th or 5th option).

Green has very good physical tools. Very good size. Solid strength and quickness. That helps him a lot defensively. Rarely gets overpowered by physically imposing players. This is important when matching up against the better players at your position.

A well rounded offensive skill-set. Has a decent jump-shot from midrange to three point range. Has a solid handle and moves the ball well. Not a playmaker. Good post-game. Can create mismatches against smaller wings. Other than that, a limited shot-creator. More of a complementary weapon offensively in the 12-14ppg variety. Similar to Tayshaun Prince in his well-rounded game but not as talented/skilled.

Jeff Green can also function as an undersized quick four on a part time basis when matchups permit. Capable of creating mismatches with his quickness and skill-level offensively vs less talented PFs.

Probably a top 20 starting SF in the league right now. There or thereabouts.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:32:17 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

Jeff Green can defend and rebound his position (good defender/rebounder = good defense, adequate rebounding) and he has a solid well-rounded offensive skill-set (complementary offensive threat, 4th or 5th option).

Green has very good physical tools. Very good size. Solid strength and quickness. That helps him a lot defensively. Rarely gets overpowered by physically imposing players. This is important when matching up against the better players at your position.

Green is a terrible rebounder. So far this season, he's grabbed 13.2% of available defensive rebounds, which ranks him 60th in the league at PF and 48th in the league at SF. His career averages are just about the same. In no way does this make him a "good" or even "adequate" rebounder. Just the opposite

In OKC as in Boston, his teams have generally performed better defensively when he's on the bench. That would indicate that he's also not a good or solid defender. it indicates he's below average to terrible

Green does have any interesting set of physical attributes. Too bad he hasn't put any of those to use in his NBA career.