Author Topic: Fab Melo & Athleticism  (Read 5468 times)

Fab Melo & Athleticism
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I read the Fab article on the main page today and saw the phrases "athletically gifted" and "crazy athleticism" used to describe him.

I watched him in summer league and while I thought he was a "decent" athlete for a seven footer, I also thought he looked like a typical seven footer, that is, a little slow, awkward and cumbersome at times.

When I think of athletically gifted 7 footers names like David Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan type guys (athleticism only, not talent...) come to mind.

Do you guys look at Melo and think "athletically gifted"?

Re: Fab Melo & Athleticism
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
fab is huge and is very quick and nimble. So yes, a great athlete.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I wouldn't say Melo is a great athlete.  I think he is very long, and very mobile for a big man, but he has never been a real explosive athlete.

Of course, his athleticism is not the problem.  He is plenty athletic enough to be an excellent NBA big man.  The question is whether he understands how to play the game.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Javale McGee= athlete

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Well, firstly people strike too hard at him. He has been playing basketball since like 15? He doesn't even have a 10 year experience like most kids in the US.. He has a soccer background and a result of that is his good court awareness and vision.. He is athletic and has significant size but like many people said: the talent is there, he just needs to learn the fundamentals and he's good to go.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, Ok. That's how I see it pretty much. I mean, he is big and fairly long, but he just doesn't strike me as this run/jump uber athlete.

But as you said lightspeed5, "quick" and "nimble" are viable athletic traits as well. Pierce isn't a jaw dropping athlete, but he is certainly a great athlete in terms of strength, footwork and deceptive quickness on the drive.

Likewise, Bird wasn't a "run/jump" athlete, but he certainly was a great athlete in terms of strength, deception and hand/foot speed, court vision.

I guess if Melo figures it out, he could be something special then - or at least he has the physical tools to be... 

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Still, I find the terms "athletically gifted" and "crazy athleticism" odd ones when applied to him.

Maybe that will become more apparent when he "gets it" and that athleticism will therefore then become more glaringly apparent.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Still, I find the terms "athletically gifted" and "crazy athleticism" odd ones when applied to him.

Maybe that will become more apparent when he "gets it" and that athleticism will therefore then become more glaringly apparent.

Yeah, exactly.

I would describe him as "long" and "mobile".  Leave athletically gifted for the human pogosticks. 

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, exactly.

I would describe him as "long" and "mobile".  Leave athletically gifted for the human pogosticks.
Pretty much.

Bears out in Melo's measureables too, compared to Joakim Noah he's roughly as agile/fast as Noah while being much longer. His vertical measured both ways is several inches less.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Well, firstly people strike too hard at him. He has been playing basketball since like 15? He doesn't even have a 10 year experience like most kids in the US.. He has a soccer background and a result of that is his good court awareness and vision.. He is athletic and has significant size but like many people said: the talent is there, he just needs to learn the fundamentals and he's good to go.

Exactly. Well said.
He's Hasheem Thabeet of Celtics roster.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yeah, exactly.

Pretty much.

Bears out in Melo's measureables too, compared to Joakim Noah he's roughly as agile/fast as Noah while being much longer. His vertical measured both ways is several inches less.

And I wouldn't even call Noah a spectacular athlete.  I think Noah is also more of a "mobile" big man. 

I leave the great athlete modiker for guys like Howard, McGee, Chris Anderson, the kid Detroit drafted (I am drawing a blank on his name) and guys like that. 

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Yeah, exactly.

Pretty much.

And I wouldn't even call Noah a spectacular athlete.  I think Noah is also more of a "mobile" big man. 

I leave the great athlete modiker for guys like Howard, McGee, Chris Anderson, the kid Detroit drafted (I am drawing a blank on his name) and guys like that.
Drummond? Add deandre Jordan to that list too.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
for what it is worth, here is a link to a highlight reel on youtube. yes, it is a highlight reel, so keep that in mind. but aside from making every shot, watch his "athleticism."

he is pretty good. more than enough basic ability to make the nba. what he lacks is training and experience. maybe in about 1 1/2 to 2 years he might be good enough to stay on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyP3Por3xI

and here is his draft video to boot.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFFZOYgcbzQ
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Soccer has made him nimble and quick on his feet. Better than some forwards and guards even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0M-N3UHvI

I feel like that play was more from soccer and instinct than the 5 years basketball experience he had.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Melo is a mobile athlete, his combine numbers were not spectacular.  Middle of the road, as I recall.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Fab-Melo-5715/

31" is a nice vertical for a seven footer but some others were way above him.  His bench press was a measly nine and that is horrible.

I think we over rate him it's part of being a fan.