Author Topic: Rondo chasing Stockton's 14.5 APG record  (Read 6494 times)

Rondo chasing Stockton's 14.5 APG record
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
 Rondo's APG average is at 13.7... the record for the regular season is held by John Stockton at 14.5.

Re: Rondo chasing Stockton's 14.5 APG record
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I truly hope that this becomes too out of sight at some point this season because Rondo's stat padding will hurt this team's win total considerably and I have absolutely zero doubts in my mind, considering what I've seen from Rondo over the past few years, that he will go to stat padding if he's close.

I want wins, not stat records.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
I truly hope that this becomes too out of sight at some point this season because Rondo's stat padding will hurt this team's win total considerably and I have absolutely zero doubts in my mind, considering what I've seen from Rondo over the past few years, that he will go to stat padding if he's close.

rondo is too smart to "pad."

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This.

He average 3 TO's a game. It's not pretty but that's few enough to tell everyone that he's not just trying to hard to "get the assists". The plenty assists is a result of him really finding guys in position to score. Not because he's trying too hard.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

"too smart to pad"?  That makes no sense... or please elaborate what you mean by that.  He already pads all the time by turning down easy shot attempts or stealing rebounds from teammates when in pursuit of a triple double.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

How exactly can throwing the ball to his teammates to score points hurt the team?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

How exactly can throwing the ball to his teammates to score points hurt the team?
He's going to say something like passing up shots for a pass. watch.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've seen Rondo miss enough layups to think it's not a completely crazy idea that he may sometimes just be more comfortable giving up the ball to a teammate and isn't necessarily trying to pad his assist numbers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

No need, you just did for me.  So you must acknowledge that you've heard of players doing this before.  If you don't think Rondo is the type of player who would, that's your opinion.  My opinion is that he would.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I've seen Rondo miss enough layups to think it's not a completely crazy idea that he may sometimes just be more comfortable giving up the ball to a teammate and isn't necessarily trying to pad his assist numbers.

I'd say it's a pretty crazy idea that a player who some deem to be MVP worthy would feel more comfortable kicking the ball out because he's not confident in his ability to make layups.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

"considering what I've seen from Rondo over the past few years"

Right, because he's all about himself and doesn't care about whether the team wins or loses. Nothing says that more than getting his elbow dislocated and playing through it anyway because we were in the playoffs...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

No need, you just did for me.  So you must acknowledge that you've heard of players doing this before.  If you don't think Rondo is the type of player who would, that's your opinion.  My opinion is that he would.
rondo has a FG% of over 50%.... and is taking more attempts than CP3. Is that the statistic of someone who is smart with the ball, or someone who is passing up shots for a pass?

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

rondo has a FG% of over 50%.... and is taking more attempts than CP3. Is that the statistic of someone who is smart with the ball, or someone who is passing up shots for a pass?

And he's averaging 13.5ppg, just 0.2 shy of his regular season career high. I wonder sometimes if people would be happy with Rondo if he just jacked up 22+ shots a game - old school Carmelo style.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

So he doesn't lay it up, but he sends it out to KG for a jumper? Difference?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Since the start of the 09-10 season, we're 89-29 when Rondo has more than 10 assists, 64-62 when he doesn't. I'm all for "stat padding".