Author Topic: Bradley or Sully: Who do you trade?  (Read 12678 times)

Re: Bradley or Sully: Who do you trade?
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

How are you gonna say false and then say a false claim yourself. I can't take you seriously anymore. We didn't make a playoff run without him. We were under 500 and in danger of missing the playoffs and blowing the whole team up if we didn't turn things around when we did.

There were a lot of things that led to our turnaround. PP and KG getting into shape, Bradley and Bass replacing Ray and JO, and Doc giving Rondo more control of the offense (and Rondo going on the assist streak). You can't point to any one thing as the reason.

I give a lot of credit to Bass and Bradley going into the starting lineup but that doesn't make them more than our 4th and 5th most important players. The team with Rondo/Ray/PP/KG/JO was way too old and unathletic to compete, putting in a couple of players like Bradley and Bass brought about a much better mix of players.

Never once claimed bradley was the sole reason. He was certainly one of the biggest tho along with KG.

I don't disagree, but Bradley's contribution was as much keeping Ray off the court as what Avery actually did when he played.

I think putting Ray off the floor as equal contribution sells both Ray and Bradley considerably short. It implies that another person, almost any other capable person (say Pietrus) could've done half as much. I don't think that to be the case.

And ignores that Ray had a very good start to the season until he got injured. If everyone had come ready to play as Ray had, we wouldn't have struggled to begin the season in the first place.

Ray wasn't playing well when he was taken out of the lineup. The fact that his season got off to a fairly good start isn't really the point, it's the Ray struggling with injuries that Bradley replaced.

And? The point was that it wasn't much of a roster change that gave us the improvement last year, but people just starting to play as they should've been in the first place.

The Bradley emergence to me is the only thing noteworthy on that regard, not the subtraction of Ray Allen. In the first half of the season we weren't losing because of Ray Allen injuries. He played very well last season until somewhere in February, and his stats still looked quite good regardless that month.

« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Sullinger - not so much because I rank Bradley much higher than Sully long-term, but because Bradley is much more important to our immediate team.  Sully's a very strong prospect (his combination of range, rebounding, skill and intelligence is quite impressive) who can't be depended on as more than a 20-25mpg spot starter at this point of his career.  In contrast, Bradley has already proven to be a potent member of a dominant foursome with Rondo/Pierce/KG.

I have a feeling Ainge and Doc aren't too eager to trade either.  They may want see what they have with a Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Sully/KG quintet
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Everybody on this team seems like they really love being on this team. Id hate to trade anyone unless it makes us CLEARLY a better team. I'm willing to roll the dice with the team we have now. We still have one roster spot open to sign one more player. KMART/Birdman?

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't think the Joe dumats comparison makes sense.  Joe may have been the same height, but he was bigger and stronger than Ab.  Plus, dumars was a great passer. AB is a bad passer.  Dumars was a floor general who could run an offense. AB can't run an offense. Dumars was also a better ball handler.  That's all above and beyond the fact that dumars was known for his clutch shooting, which AB clearly isn't.

Saying he's like a smaller iguodala doesn't work for me, because iguodala is special because he can pass well, run an offense, has great rebounding, and can guard multiple positions (pg to sf at. Least).  AB lacks all of that AND lacks iggys size.

I absolutely love Bradley, but I don't see a multiple all-star appearance ceiling from Bradley, which is what I think it would take to have a higher ceiling than Sullinger.

I like the Joe Dumars comparison as an idea of Bradley's ceiling.  Joe D was a six-time NBA All-Star.

Agreed. 

Plus I don't see Sullinger getting multiple all star appearances.  Honestly, I don't think he'll ever be quite All-Star level.

Look at Carlos Boozer, Zach Randolf - how many All Star appearances?  How about Tyson Chandler?    Monta Ellis?  Latrell Sprewell?  Al Jefferson?  Al Harrington? Joakim Noah?

There have been a lot of very good players who have rarely (if ever) made the All Star game.  I don't see Sullinger getting much better than any of those guys mentioned above.  That said, I wouldn't complain about having any one of those guys on my ream in their prime.

I think sully has little chance if making it because he is a very good all rounder, but isn't elite at any one thing.

I think Bradley has a better shot because he has an elite talent in his defense.  If he ever becomes a consistently solid offensive player combined with his defense and athleticism he could very easily have All-Star potential.  He reminds me of small guard version of Iggy, who has been a borderline All-Star for years on end.

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I absolutely love Bradley, but I don't see a multiple all-star appearance ceiling from Bradley, which is what I think it would take to have a higher ceiling than Sullinger.

I like the Joe Dumars comparison as an idea of Bradley's ceiling.  Joe D was a six-time NBA All-Star.

Agreed. 

Plus I don't see Sullinger getting multiple all star appearances.  Honestly, I don't think he'll ever be quite All-Star level.

Look at Carlos Boozer, Zach Randolf - how many All Star appearances?  How about Tyson Chandler?    Monta Ellis?  Latrell Sprewell?  Al Jefferson?  Al Harrington? Joakim Noah?

There have been a lot of very good players who have rarely (if ever) made the All Star game.  I don't see Sullinger getting much better than any of those guys mentioned above.  That said, I wouldn't complain about having any one of those guys on my ream in their prime.

I think sully has little chance if making it because he is a very good all rounder, but isn't elite at any one thing.

I think Bradley has a better shot because he has an elite talent in his defense.  If he ever becomes a consistently solid offensive player combined with his defense and athleticism he could very easily have All-Star potential.  He reminds me of small guard version of Iggy, who has been a borderline All-Star for years on end.

Elite talent in perimeter defense doesn't get you an all-star appearance.  Bruce bowen - 5x all first defensive team, 0x all-star.  Raja Bell and Tony Allen also come to mind as a couple of the best perimeter defenders we've seen in the last decade, both not even close to any all-star appearances.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur