I don't agree with many things you said. Here's a brief overview of my team.Casillas
- will be remembered as top10 ever after riteremt I have no doubt. Already broke so many records, saved Madrid so many times.. Was lucky to get him so late.Facchetti
was great both defensively and offensively. Having both him and Zanetti
as full backs is a big plus as they both can do it all on the flanks. Two legendery Inter captains.Nesta
is underrated if anything. I think you haven't seem enough. I'm a Milan fan and I saw him play countless times and he's truly on of the best CB's ever. Very intelligent, great positioning, marking, tackling, pace, leadership. Was Lazio's captain at a very young age (led them to the title) and deservingly so. If not for the injuries he would have been be remembered as even greater. Even last season, when he was way past his prime you could see how quality he was in the important games. Matthias Sammer
was an awesome atacking libero, only second to Beckenbauer. His runs forward was perfectly timed, he could score, could play as a defender an entire game, sacrificed his all for the team and had few very amazing season. He was the best player in UERO 1996 by far (which Germany won) and on that Dortmund team that won Champions league. Not many defenders can say that and not many defenders won the golden ball like he did.Matthäus
- the best defensive midfielder ever, a perfect leader for my team. Could play equally well in defense too, could man mark anyone. No brainer choice. Xavi
- the best passer I've ever seen and an underrated player. Not always getting all the recognition but IMO he's the most important player in this amazing Barca team. His football IQ is amazing.Zico
One of the best midfield scorers ever with great vision, passing lethal shot, dribbling, finishing and free kicks. Was the best player in the world at his prime in early 80's. Can easily play a more advanced role.Roberto Baggio
- exceptional talented, regarded by many as the most talented Italian ever. Could do it all with the ball, very versatile. Was unlucky to miss a penalty in WC final but he was the reason why Italy was there in the first place. He carried that team and won all the important individual awards at that time and a consensus in the early 90's.Ferenc Puskas
- True scorer, scored 616 in 620 games during his career, led the legendary and revolutionary Hungarian team of the 50's (scored 84 goals in 85 games for them), only his injury prevented them winning it all in 1954. Moved to Real Madrid when he was 31 but still scored 242 goals for them and was key player in one of the best teams ever build - Real Madrid of early 60's. Karl Heinz Rummenigge
a great sub to have but I don't consider him as such since he could easily be in many teams on this draft. A very prolific scorer and finisher, won it all in europe, twice europe's best player.
And of course Maradona
. We can argue who was better he or Pele forever but for me Maradonas prime (1984-91) was better than anuone else prime. A truly megical player, there is nothing he couldn't do with ball. Took the Argentinian team by himself to win the 1986 World Cup, and carried them to another final 4 years later. Took Napoli, a relatively small team then and made them the best team in Italy, the toughest european league by far back them with empires like Juve, Inter and Milan unable to do nothing.
My team is far from being just a midfield. All in all, I think I have one of the most versatile and balanced teams in this draft with many players capable of playing several roles and different schemes. I can easily play with 3 CB's adding Matthäus to Sammer and Nesta with the first two able to go forward very well (both played as mids too). Will have no problems playing a narrow style too since both fullback can close the flanks perfectly and support the attack. With Baggio and Puskas capable of playing any role in the atcack I can have a very lethal front line with Baggio, Puskas, Maradona behind Rummenigge - all can score in different ways that will be very hard to guard, especailly when supported by great passers I have. Expect them to keep possession at least 70% of the time.
When things will become tough, Maradona will be there to do his magic.
How many players can do that? and we are talking about world cup quarter-finals.
Some of the formations my team can use: