Author Topic: What effect would a big mid-season trade have on team chemistry?  (Read 3899 times)

Re: What effect would a big mid-season trade have on team chemistry?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
All the chemistry in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the talent to beat superior talented teams.  For me I just don't think this team is good enough to realistically compete with the three big boy teams (Miami, OKC, LAL) and thus I don't think perfect chemistry actually matters.

I disagree with this in general.  The 2004 and 2010 NBA Finals are what jump to my mind as counterexamples over the course of a 7 game series.

But in terms of the Celtics, I agree with you because our team has very little chemistry working in its favor thus far.  So in response to the OP, I have no problem with it not because I don't think chemistry matters, but because we have such little chemistry built up so far that would be in danger of being set back.
The Pistons in 2004 made a major mid season trade to add talent (Rasheed).  Not sure what point you are trying to make in 2010.  Boston had a major injury in game 7 and lost to a team that was at least equally as talented and that was playing at home.

Yes, but they were still very very much less talented than the stacked Lakers of that year.  Those Lakers were one of the best collections of talent the league has seen since I've started really following the NBA in the mid 90's.  But Detroit's chemistry trumped the Lakers talent.

And sorry, I meant 2011, not 2010, when the Mavs beat Miami.  Miami was clearly had far more talent on that team.
That's somewhat debatable.  Are 10 championship-quality talented players really that far below 3 extra talented guys?  It's a team sport.

When Miami won they had much more talent in Battier and a healthy Miller than they did in Bibby, James Jones, and Big Z.

Edit:

Same thing with the Lakers, yeah they had SOME talent left in a 35 year old Payton and 40 year old Malone, but it was still 2 vs 5.  Kobe and Shaq were probably even more talented than LeBron and Wade, but when you have 5 all stars that talent adds up.

Yes.

Your examples are exceptions.  One of them had Dirk on the team.  One of them made a huge mid season trade.  And it was the team that didn't make a big move that imploded in 04.

Other example, in 08, Lakers added Gasol and made it to the finals. 

If the Celtics can upgrade their top level talent with some of the depth talent, it would be foolish not to.

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
One thing is for sure, a trade would destroy the wonderful defensive chemistry we have :P

One can only hope...

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think anything other than a minor deal (if any) will happen this year.  If one happens, the goal would be to fill Darko's spot and maybe one other by shipping out the guys not seeing court time like Collins or Joseph. 

I really think that with the core signed for 2 more years, Danny and Doc will be using this season to get this team functioning together (while making as good a championship run as possible) while gearing up for 2 real runs the next 2 years.

From what I've seen, the 2 biggest issues are lack of understanding of the team defensive sets and a over-effort to be the good teammate on O and overpass/defer to other players.  I think this will improve by the end of the year.  The question is will it be enough of an improvement this year or will we be saying 'wait until next year'

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think anything other than a minor deal (if any) will happen this year.  If one happens, the goal would be to fill Darko's spot and maybe one other by shipping out the guys not seeing court time like Collins or Joseph. 

I really think that with the core signed for 2 more years, Danny and Doc will be using this season to get this team functioning together (while making as good a championship run as possible) while gearing up for 2 real runs the next 2 years.

From what I've seen, the 2 biggest issues are lack of understanding of the team defensive sets and a over-effort to be the good teammate on O and overpass/defer to other players.  I think this will improve by the end of the year.  The question is will it be enough of an improvement this year or will we be saying 'wait until next year'

This team can not be thinking about next year.  If there is a move out there, minor or major, that they think will improve the teams chances this year, they have to jump at it. 

There is no way to know when KG and/or Pierce will hit the cliff and have a major drop off.

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Yeah.... nice close points :-\, but no real cigar ::)...

At the deadline, Trade Green+Lee+Future 1st pick for Al Jefferson.
If that doesn't happen, do it for J.Smith, Andy Varej or Perk(he might get benched)+Jones/Colison.
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!