Author Topic: What effect would a big mid-season trade have on team chemistry?  (Read 3879 times)

What effect would a big mid-season trade have on team chemistry?
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A lot of people in this forum are proposing trades that would send out two or more key rotation players, some of whom can't be traded until January.  And some ideas propose trading for players like Al Jefferson or Josh Smith, who I think would be more likely to be traded closer to the trade deadline, if they are traded at all.

It seems like it takes time for players to integrate themselves into Doc's system.  If you think the team is slowly improving in cohesiveness and the defense will look more like that of Celtics teams of the past few years (especially with the return of Avery Bradley), would a major trade that shakes up the roster set team chemistry back?  If the team defense is markedly better eight weeks from now, would it regress back to where it was a month ago if you trade 2-3 players currently averaging 20+ mpg and have Doc experimenting to figure out his new rotations?

Sure, if the team hasn't gotten better by the end of January, then Ainge should consider making a trade that shakes up the roster, but if the team appears to be on an upward trajectory, perhaps the best deal to improve the roster would be to send out a surplus guard for a big man role player.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: What effect would a big mid-season trade have on team chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Good post - TP.

Some thoughts:

1. One of the things I've not liked about the Ainge Era, is the constant trade deadline additions of players expected to produce in the playoffs and the occasional big mid season trades. I think they sometimes have a tendency to disrupt things more than help as you are 1-2 months away from making a playoff run.

2. Therefore, I'm generally more inclined to like putting the team together once, at the start of the year and then just letting them gel and ride it out. Minor adidtions are Ok. I think one of the main reasons the '08 and '10 teams did so well is because for the most part, they were in tact from day one of the season - there were only minor additions at the trade deadline.

3. I think we absolutely must wait for Bradley to come back and see how his perimeter D, paired with Rondo, will affect our overall defense. I think Avery's intensity really raises everyone's defensive intensity and passion. I would like to see where our D goes once Avery is back for 4-6 weeks before considering any major trades this year. 

4. If the player we trade for in a hypothetical "big mid season trade" is a legit superstar or "proven and substantial player", like a Josh Smith, Jefferson or Milsap level guy, I think it becomes easier for that level of a player to fit in quicker simply because they are just that good. I think where it gets difficult is to bring in a guy who has not "fully arrived" yet, or who has not "fully established" their identity in the league. I think this was the case for Jeff Green, and still is the case for him. I think he will either establish himself as an above average player with the Celtics or remain a career journeyman if he doesn't - and "in time" I think it will be for former and not the latter.

5. If we pulled off something like Lee, Sully and 1st round picks for Josh Smith, I think that group would immediately gel big time...

KG
Smith
Pierce
Bradley
Rondo

That would be sick defensively -

With Rondo, Bradley and Smith in the house, if Melo panned out within a year or two as a legit defensive center, you are a young, sharp shooting small forward away from being a "very good" team for years to come.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
All the chemistry in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the talent to beat superior talented teams.  For me I just don't think this team is good enough to realistically compete with the three big boy teams (Miami, OKC, LAL) and thus I don't think perfect chemistry actually matters.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Additional comments:

1. I'd really rather wait and see if we can simply somehow add Josh Smith in the off season without giving up Sully or picks or anything.

2. I also, think our current team has proven it can score with anyone this year.

3. If the D improves they may not need to make a major trade.

4. I think the only real thing they are missing is just one half legit big man - even an Aaron Gray level guy - to give us more size occasionally - and we'd be good to go.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Talent is king. If the trade gives you a collective upgrade, make the deal.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
All the chemistry in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the talent to beat superior talented teams.  For me I just don't think this team is good enough to realistically compete with the three big boy teams (Miami, OKC, LAL) and thus I don't think perfect chemistry actually matters.

I disagree with this in general.  The 2004 and 2010 2011 NBA Finals are what jump to my mind as counterexamples over the course of a 7 game series.

But in terms of the Celtics, I agree with you because our team has very little chemistry working in its favor thus far.  So in response to the OP, I have no problem with it not because I don't think chemistry matters, but because we have such little chemistry built up so far that would be in danger of being set back.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:42:46 AM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What chemistry?   We have not shown any save in the OKC game.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I don't think the chemistry is all that great with this team right now anyways within all the role players

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
it all depends on which players come in and which ones leave.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
No need to make any trades any time soon.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

LoL ...my exact thought  ;D

The Celtics would have a MAJOR immediate impact with the addition of Gortat , Gasol , or JSmith .  Never would miss Jeff Green ( at the moment he can't be counted on to show up)

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its still only 14 games into the season...I understand fans want the C's winning every game, but its way too early to start panicking and calling for trades.

if we still look like this at the all-star break, I will agree...but I have a feeling this team will be playing different by then. and everyone who was freaking out will look silly(like they did last year, or in 2010)

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
its still only 14 games into the season...I understand fans want the C's winning every game, but its way too early to start panicking and calling for trades.

if we still look like this at the all-star break, I will agree...but I have a feeling this team will be playing different by then. and everyone who was freaking out will look silly(like they did last year, or in 2010)

Yup

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

LoL ...my exact thought  ;D

The Celtics would have a MAJOR immediate impact with the addition of Gortat , Gasol , or JSmith .  Never would miss Jeff Green ( at the moment he can't be counted on to show up)

I was on the gasol bandwagon but he has health issues i just read about so im off that wagon now. I want gorat only if we don't give up AB and i want smith more than gortat.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Great Question.

Refer back to Febuary 2011 (Perk Trade :()

That trade has been discussed on here ad infinitum, but IMO it had a horrible effect on the chemistry.

It was a trade that HAD to be made, I suppose. We needed a backup for Pierce after Marquis went down, and I guess the dominoes fell afterwards.

Fast forward to now? As tantalizing as Pau, Gortat, Josh Smith, etc, etc - look..do we absolutely HAVE to gut the team or trade away a key sub or subs to get a coveted player that we THINK we need?

I'm glad I'm not Danny...GMs have the toughest job in sports, IMO.

My gut is telling me to stand pat with what we have...I thought that during the summer we reloaded to shore up Pierce, KG and Rondo.

When healthy, including Avery Bradley, this team is still world beaters. My gut says go to the playoffs vs BKN, MIA, CHI - whoever - with what we have NOW, including AB.

I just don't want to relive another Feb 2011.