Author Topic: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor  (Read 19505 times)

Re: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think Bass/Lee/Green makes a lot of sense for both teams in the short term, but as others said I'm not sure just how much the Lakers value their financial flexibility in the long term. The sooner the Celtics dump Jeff Green's deal the better as far as I'm concerned though.

If they get desperate enough and Gasol makes it clear he wants out, what type of better offers can the Lakers realistically expect? Only a contender who views him as a key missing piece is going to make this deal, his salary is just too high for a rebuilding or middle of the pack team. What other contending teams are in desperate need of a big man, willing to take on his contract and can make a legitimate offer? There's no contending team as desperate for a quality big man as we are, I really think if he's going to get moved then Boston makes the most sense.
I'd think Atlanta might be interested if it was clear Josh Smith wanted out.

Smith and ZaZa for Gasol and Hill works financially and would probably be a fairly fair trade.

How does that benefit atlanta in short or long term?

Its a fairly even trade in a vacuum I just don't know why Atlanta would just casually make a random trade like that, even if smith wanted out.
Gasol and Horford would be an incredibly difficult match up for every single team in the East.

And along with Teague feeding them the rock thats a nice little squad.

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
here's a Laker blog reaction to a trade IDEA (not a rumor)

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/12/4/3725250/pau-gasol-trade-scenarios-is-it-even-possible

to the Boston Celtics with Jodie Meeks, Earl Clark (total: $20.6 million), for F Jeff Green, G Jason Terry, F Brandon Bass (total: $19.6 million)

Why the Lakers...wouldn't do this: Besides the rising tidal wave of vomit overtaking the San Fernando Valley from seeing Pau in Celtic Green and helping solidify the 2013 C's into a title contender? Jeff Green, he of a 9/3 and a staggering 11 PER, is an owner of one of the worst contracts, if not the worst, in the NBA. He's owed just around $36 million dollars to do...something, but what exactly, I'm not yet sure. I can't say for sure what void he'd fill for the Lakers, because after six seasons, I'm still not sure what he does basketball-wise.

The prize for LA here would be the sweet shooting mid-range jumper of Brandon Bass, and the instant, bench-ready offense from JET. In addition, Terry can handle back-up point guard duties if needed, though he's much better as an off-ball offensive player.

This deal benefits both teams, as the Celtics need a more reliable player to man the low post to pair with Garnett's high post shooting. However, Green's awful deal really clinches the Lakers saying no. If the Celtics make a move in-season, it'd be to rid themselves of an already horrible looking contract they just signed this past summer, as well as needing that dollar figure to make the trade work.

The bonus deal-breaker here is that as much as basketball teams don't care about rivalries, these two teams do. I can't see Dr. Buss, as well as Wyc Grousbeck and GM Danny Ainge completing a deal that, while flawed, would greatly benefit both teams.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/12/4/3725250/pau-gasol-trade-scenarios-is-it-even-possible

to the Boston Celtics with Jodie Meeks, Earl Clark (total: $20.6 million), for F Jeff Green, G Jason Terry, F Brandon Bass (total: $19.6 million)

Why the Lakers...wouldn't do this: Besides the rising tidal wave of vomit overtaking the San Fernando Valley from seeing Pau in Celtic Green and helping solidify the 2013 C's into a title contender? Jeff Green, he of a 9/3 and a staggering 11 PER, is an owner of one of the worst contracts, if not the worst, in the NBA. He's owed just around $36 million dollars to do...something, but what exactly, I'm not yet sure. I can't say for sure what void he'd fill for the Lakers, because after six seasons, I'm still not sure what he does basketball-wise.

The prize for LA here would be the sweet shooting mid-range jumper of Brandon Bass, and the instant, bench-ready offense from JET. In addition, Terry can handle back-up point guard duties if needed, though he's much better as an off-ball offensive player.

This deal benefits both teams, as the Celtics need a more reliable player to man the low post to pair with Garnett's high post shooting. However, Green's awful deal really clinches the Lakers saying no. If the Celtics make a move in-season, it'd be to rid themselves of an already horrible looking contract they just signed this past summer, as well as needing that dollar figure to make the trade work.

The bonus deal-breaker here is that as much as basketball teams don't care about rivalries, these two teams do. I can't see Dr. Buss, as well as Wyc Grousbeck and GM Danny Ainge completing a deal that, while flawed, would greatly benefit both teams.

I gotta say, this made me feel a little better that there are people around the league who think so highly of Bass. 

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I gotta say, this made me feel a little better that there are people around the league who think so highly of Bass.

And on the other hand that dislike of Greens contract hurts.

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Terry, bass and green is lot to give up considering gasol's current form.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

I wouldn't trade terry in any deal. We need his offense off the bench. Also i wouldn't trade these guys for gasol because gasol is injury prone right now. Dude has issues with his knees. The risk is too high.

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

What if we could get back Barnes or Ebanks?

That would leave us with a playoff roster of:

Rondo/Barbosa
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Barnes-Ebanks
KG/Sullinger
Pau/Collins (with KG getting a lot of minutes here too)

I like this.  I think players would have much clearer defined roles.  When we start Bass at PF (who I love), that enables Miami to play small b/c Lebron can guard him.  If we start KG and Pau together, then Miami would be forced to change their lineup to a far less offensively potent one including another big man.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Phoenix trades:  Gortat, Dudley, Shannon Brown, Telfair
Phoenix gets:  Gasol

LA trades:  Gasol
LA gets:  Bass, Green, Shannon Brown, Telfair

Boston trades:  Bass, Green
Boston gets:  Gortat, Dudley

I'm down for this on behalf of the celts.  I don't know if Lakers would be or not.  Phoenix turns a pu pu platter of OK players into a difference maker of a player that they could trade to a fringe contender for some legitimate rebuilding pieces this offseason or next season.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I would absolutely hate to trade jason terry to the lakers. Hes been very solid or us so far this season and after he got that tattoo..........man, brutal.

Not to mention im a huge fan of JET and i guarantee he makes some huge shots for us come playoff time. Take JET out and put LEE in and you got a deal sir.

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would absolutely hate to trade jason terry to the lakers. Hes been very solid or us so far this season and after he got that tattoo..........man, brutal.

Not to mention im a huge fan of JET and i guarantee he makes some huge shots for us come playoff time. Take JET out and put LEE in and you got a deal sir.

You can file "trading Jason Terry this season" under "crap Danny Ainge couldn't dare doing without screwing himself in future negotiations with free agents."

Danny likes to always be active in looking for ways to improve the team, but you can't lobby a guy hard to join your team in the off-season and get him all sold on playing there and then trade him mid-season for an upgrade -- not if you want to have any credibility with free agents in the future.  A lot of these players have the same agents, and all of the agents talk amongst themselves.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yeah, if I was the Celtics' GM, I would be all over a Green/Bass/Lee for Gasol trade.

I honestly think that it would actually be a good trade for both teams.

Sure, we give up our ENTIRE bench, and in return we get an old guy with a massive contract who plays well when he feels like it and crumbles in the playoffs.

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yeah, if I was the Celtics' GM, I would be all over a Green/Bass/Lee for Gasol trade.

Sure, we give up our ENTIRE bench, and in return we get an old guy with a massive contract who plays well when he feels like it and crumbles in the playoffs.
Haha seriously Gasol is a joke nowadays even worse knee problems hopefully Danny isnt as dumb as the Sixers
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

What if we could get back Barnes or Ebanks?

That would leave us with a playoff roster of:

Rondo/Barbosa
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Barnes-Ebanks
KG/Sullinger
Pau/Collins (with KG getting a lot of minutes here too)

I like this.  I think players would have much clearer defined roles.  When we start Bass at PF (who I love), that enables Miami to play small b/c Lebron can guard him.  If we start KG and Pau together, then Miami would be forced to change their lineup to a far less offensively potent one including another big man.

If you're talking about Matt Barnes he plays for the clippers.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

You can file "trading Jason Terry this season" under "crap Danny Ainge couldn't dare doing without screwing himself in future negotiations with free agents."

Danny likes to always be active in looking for ways to improve the team, but you can't lobby a guy hard to join your team in the off-season and get him all sold on playing there and then trade him mid-season for an upgrade -- not if you want to have any credibility with free agents in the future.  A lot of these players have the same agents, and all of the agents talk amongst themselves.

I agree 110percent. You can't trade terry. Its not like hes lacking in production so bad you have to move him. Hes supposed to be here to help us win a championship.

Hes the leader of the bench or will be once he goes back there. He got a tattoo to show how confident he is in this team winning a championship, and you trade him?

As if players already didn't wanna come to boston. Danny would make boston even less desirable to come too. I know i for [dang] sure wouldn't even look in bostons direction if i was a free agent.

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11

How would we be giving up our entire bench? Gasol replaces Bass, and once Avery Bradley is back Lee will probably be out of the rotation anyway. We'd still have Rondo/Terry/Bradley/Barbosa which is a solid guard rotation. We would need to acquire a backup SF for Pierce, but that's really our only loss. I wouldn't call that trading our entire bench.

As far as teams like Phoenix, Atlanta, Toronto, etc. being interested in Gasol, I just don't see it. His value is not what it once was. He's 32 years old, making $19 million a year and is of questionable health. All three of those teams are essentially in rebuilding mode, why would they be interested in Gasol? They're still going to be low lottery teams/first round exits which is NBA purgatory.

The window for Pierce and Garnett is closing fast, it makes sense for the Celtics to take a chance on a highly skilled all around big man who fulfills this team's biggest need. The Celtics are not going to get out of the east as presently constructed, Gasol is worth the risk. He would be off the books after next season, which is when Pierce's contract ends and the Celtics would have financial flexibility heading in to the post Garnett/Pierce era instead of being bogged down with Green's ridiculous contract.