Author Topic: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor  (Read 19582 times)

Re: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
id say no to turkeyglue and zoltan boozer. Larry Sanders would be just fine. Hell, i'd take Tayshaun Prince too.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I can't think of a better system for Jeff Green then playing with Mike D'Antoni and having Dwight Howard have his back. He would have to play PF and he would be one of the most athletic PFs as far as running the floor in the game. He also wouldn't have to really worry about his play on Defense because D'Antoni doesn't prioritize Defense anyways. He could spread the floor and run the floor quite well for LA in that system,

Bass would give them a solid backup big that can also space the floor and run the floor pretty well. Lee would be a very good backup for Kobe. He would be like Raja Bell 2.0 under D'Antoni, but just more athletic and without the mean streak.

Pau would give us the most skilled front court in the entire NBA. He would work wonderfully playing inside with KG outside. KG would be great for his defense. Pau could easily play off of all of our big three and also be a fantastic rebounder for us.

I honestly think from a pure basketball standpoint that Bass, Lee, and Green for Gasol is a pretty good trade for both teams.

Yet, financially I am not so sure, especially for LA. I think they really value having Artest, Kobe, and Pau all coming off the books the same season.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I doubt green gets traded tho danny loves him too much

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I doubt green gets traded tho danny loves him too much

He was as good as gone for CP3 if NO would have accepted it.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, if I was the Celtics' GM, I would be all over a Green/Bass/Lee for Gasol trade.

I honestly think that it would actually be a good trade for both teams.  Which , of course, means there is no chance at the deal happening.  No way either Ainge or Kupchak help make THE rival better.  Very much biting off your nose to spite your face.

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sounds like the interest was more carrion bird than actual exchange. Nothin. To see here, methinks.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 03:02:47 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Don't want Gasol is a lazy player now looks like Odom out there the past year or so
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 04:41:36 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
a gasol deal is not happening without pierce, kg or rondo being part of the trade, green+bass and lee only add up to 11.2 mill outgoing salary cos of the byc rules and you'll need about 16 mill outgoing cos gasol has a trade kicker and his salary will go up to around 21 mill and you'll need to be within 5 mill of to make a deal.

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:44 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I want me some Pau Gasol. He changes our team into the team we've wanted the past 3 years. He's a great passing big man with a good mid-range shot and rebounding chops.

Gasol is the big guy we've been looking for to keep our team afloat while KG rests. On the other hand nothing about Gasol is small-ball. The trade is doubtful/

Green/Bass/Lee makes the money work.

Rondo/Barbosa
AB/Terry
PP/?
KG/Sully
Gasol/Wilcox

We could move Sully for a SF prospect and pick up KMart or some other PF for an extra bench big. Peaches is still on the market but I'm not totally comfortable with that. I'd move Sully for a SF prospect and pickup KMart.

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
a gasol deal is not happening without pierce, kg or rondo being part of the trade, green+bass and lee only add up to 11.2 mill outgoing salary cos of the byc rules

Base year compensation only matters in sign and trades under the new CBA.  Players who would have been subject to byc in the past now simply can't be traded until January 15.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think Bass/Lee/Green makes a lot of sense for both teams in the short term, but as others said I'm not sure just how much the Lakers value their financial flexibility in the long term. The sooner the Celtics dump Jeff Green's deal the better as far as I'm concerned though.

If they get desperate enough and Gasol makes it clear he wants out, what type of better offers can the Lakers realistically expect? Only a contender who views him as a key missing piece is going to make this deal, his salary is just too high for a rebuilding or middle of the pack team. What other contending teams are in desperate need of a big man, willing to take on his contract and can make a legitimate offer? There's no contending team as desperate for a quality big man as we are, I really think if he's going to get moved then Boston makes the most sense.

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think Bass/Lee/Green makes a lot of sense for both teams in the short term, but as others said I'm not sure just how much the Lakers value their financial flexibility in the long term. The sooner the Celtics dump Jeff Green's deal the better as far as I'm concerned though.

If they get desperate enough and Gasol makes it clear he wants out, what type of better offers can the Lakers realistically expect? Only a contender who views him as a key missing piece is going to make this deal, his salary is just too high for a rebuilding or middle of the pack team. What other contending teams are in desperate need of a big man, willing to take on his contract and can make a legitimate offer? There's no contending team as desperate for a quality big man as we are, I really think if he's going to get moved then Boston makes the most sense.
I'd think Atlanta might be interested if it was clear Josh Smith wanted out.

Smith and ZaZa for Gasol and Hill works financially and would probably be a fairly fair trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Smith and ZaZa for Gasol and Hill works financially and would probably be a fairly fair trade.

How does that benefit atlanta in short or long term?

Its a fairly even trade in a vacuum I just don't know why Atlanta would just casually make a random trade like that, even if smith wanted out.

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If I were Gasol I'd hate Kobe.  Gasol carried Kobe to two titles and Kobe continues to badmouth him.  I'd want out of Los Angeles so badly if I were Pau.

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How does that benefit atlanta in short or long term?

Its a fairly even trade in a vacuum I just don't know why Atlanta would just casually make a random trade like that, even if smith wanted out.
Gasol and Horford would be an incredibly difficult match up for every single team in the East. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip