Author Topic: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor  (Read 19515 times)

Re: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I still think they could get better offers, but it interested me to realize that the Lakers are the one team who probably wouldn't immediately hang up on this kind of offer.

Can the Celtics outbid a Minnesota offer centered around Derrick Williams and Jose Barea, with filler and draft picks?

One of their only legitimate reserve players actually is their backup GP in my opinion.  So, I think they'd have more interest in the 2,3,4 position players we'd offer than a backup PG and a Jamison clone.

Minnesota is also lacking a bit in the filler needed to meet the salary requirements.

Also agree with snively about the Lakers probably preferring players with veteran experience.

I could be wrong on these thoughts though. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Green, Lee and Bass for Gasol would be a small price to pay. This would be a no brainer. A front court of Gasol, KG and Pierce would be among if not the best in the league. With Pietrus waiting in the wing I think this would be a steal.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

I believe Lee, Bass, and Green would get it done economically.

Yeah, but then I think its a no-go for either team.  Its a lot of future salary for mediocre production for LA, and its opening up too many new holes for the C's.
New holes?  Boston is trading 3 backups for a greatly improved starting lineup.  I think Boston would have to make that trade if it was out as it clearly upgrades Boston's starting unit (and it shaves years in salary on the back end). 

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

I think this team is much closer to a title than the one Boston currently has and since this is an old team you make that move and don't give it a second thought.

I also think it improves L.A. title chances as well since they have no depth and thus they might actually make the trade.  Also, it will also be easier for them to move any one of the 3 going forward if they need to, then to try to move Gasol.

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

I agree.  Though I think we'd have to add quite a bit to sweeten it for LA.  Barbosa is a guy who would be a particularly big addition for them, maybe Wilcox too.  Then a bunch of picks. 

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

That looks like a D'Antoni thoroughbred team to me.

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
Pierce/(midseason deadwood)
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

We get a little slow up front, but we're big and powerful enough to make up for it.  And our holes aren't too hard to fill (K-Mart as a 4th big and Pietrus would be a coup).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Before we get excited about Gasol, can anyone explain the clear and unmistakable decline in his game through last season and the beginning of this one?

Mike

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Before we get excited about Gasol, can anyone explain the clear and unmistakable decline in his game through last season and the beginning of this one?

Mike

A lot is no doubt skill erosion.  However, a large percentage of the decline is misuse by his coaching staff, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

Yeah, but then I think its a no-go for either team.  Its a lot of future salary for mediocre production for LA, and its opening up too many new holes for the C's.
New holes?  Boston is trading 3 backups for a greatly improved starting lineup.  I think Boston would have to make that trade if it was out as it clearly upgrades Boston's starting unit (and it shaves years in salary on the back end). 

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

I think this team is much closer to a title than the one Boston currently has and since this is an old team you make that move and don't give it a second thought.

I also think it improves L.A. title chances as well since they have no depth and thus they might actually make the trade.  Also, it will also be easier for them to move any one of the 3 going forward if they need to, then to try to move Gasol.

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

I agree.  Though I think we'd have to add quite a bit to sweeten it for LA.  Barbosa is a guy who would be a particularly big addition for them, maybe Wilcox too.  Then a bunch of picks. 

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

We get a little slow up front, but we're big and powerful enough to make up for it.  And our holes aren't too hard to fill (K-Mart as a 4th big and Pietrus would be a coup).
I don't think we'd have to cough up anything more than Bass, Lee and Green for Gasol.  that's plenty.  3 starter quality players that are still in their prime for an aging, overpaid player on the decline.  I think that package is more than enough for Gasol.  certainly worth more than LA paid for him initially when he was in his prime.

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

So our backup defender for lebron in the playoffs would be midseason deadwood huh?? Thats probably not gonna work out so well.

I'm not a Jeff green homer but at least he has the size and quickness to hassle lebron a little bit. Some deadline minimum guy ain't going to cut it this year, especially if he hasn't been playing for someone and staying fit.

Also there are times these days when gasol is getting beaten up the floor by NBA centers. If you stick him at power forward hell just get out-hustled and outgunned by small ball lineups. Guys like lebron, Carmelo, and Gerald Wallace are playing the 4 these days. Gasol has no chance defending those guys.

Swapping the roles with KG gives you a similar problem considering the wear on KG's legs.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

I don't think we'd have to cough up anything more than Bass, Lee and Green for Gasol.  that's plenty.  3 starter quality players that are still in their prime for an aging, overpaid player on the decline.  I think that package is more than enough for Gasol.  certainly worth more than LA paid for him initially when he was in his prime.
Uh Marc Gasol by himself is worth more than the three Celtics not to mention the various other picks and pieces the Lakers gave up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

Uh Marc Gasol by himself is worth more than the three Celtics not to mention the various other picks and pieces the Lakers gave up.
Keep pretending people (including Memphis) thought Marc Gasol was going to be this good when they made that trade.

A shocking salary dump at the time for paltry assets and it still is to this day.

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm not by any means a fan of Lee, Bass or Green but i think all 3 are too much to give up for a a guy whose declining skills have cost his team dearly in the last 2 playoffs and who doesnt really solve our defensive problems.

Maybe a change of scenery could be beneficial to Gasol but it's just too m7uch risk for the Celtics imo.

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
I personally do not like Pau. But I respect his game a lot, I think he's been one of the more underrated big men in today's game.

That being said, he's not the kind of player anymore that will really bring us that much closer to a championship. At least in my opinion. His production has dropped off significantly as of late. Especially in last year's playoffs.  But what the heck, if we don't trade the whole farm for him, why not? We need true big men who can rebound. Plus I'm sure Rondo would put him in excellent situations to score.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Mike

A lot is no doubt skill erosion.  However, a large percentage of the decline is misuse by his coaching staff, as well.
Is it really misuse by the coaches or misuse by Kobe?  Every time he takes a contested turn-around fade-away from 22 feet, he has to know that's a much lower percentage shot than passing down to Pau Gasol for a post up. 

Even if the coaches made a decision to give Gasol significantly more touches, would Kobe sacrifice his shots?Or would he force them to trade Gasol?

Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Mike

Is it really misuse by the coaches or misuse by Kobe?  Every time he takes a contested turn-around fade-away from 22 feet, he has to know that's a much lower percentage shot than passing down to Pau Gasol for a post up. 

Even if the coaches made a decision to give Gasol significantly more touches, would Kobe sacrifice his shots?Or would he force them to trade Gasol?
I mean his rebounding is roughly at the levels it was in his past play at the PF position. His assist percentage are roughly where it usually is.

It just seems he's getting fewer shots and those are farther away from the basket than ever.

I've only watched 5 laker games but overall I just don't see a huge decline, just that he's been pushed to being the complimentary player out of position. Though the talk of his knees is worrisome.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

Keep pretending people (including Memphis) thought Marc Gasol was going to be this good when they made that trade.

A shocking salary dump at the time for paltry assets and it still is to this day.
at the time of the trade Marc Gasol was in the midst of a MVP season in the second best league in the world.  Memphis does not make the trade without getting Marc Gasol back in the trade.  There were quotes at the time from Chris Wallace that said people will be surprised by Marc Gasol.  I'm sure he exceeded Memphis' expectations, but they knew Marc had special skills and could be a special player (which is why they gave him 9.72 million over 3 years when they signed him that summer).  Memphis also used the cap space to take on Zach Randolph's contract about a year later.  Sure Crittendon flamed out unexpectedly, but the two first turned into Greivas Vasquez and Darrel Arthur (in one of those draft day trades) who also worked out well.  The trade was far from as one-sided as everyone wants to make out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Lee
MWP/Green
Green/Bass
Howard/Hill (or Wilcox)

Meanwhile

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Terry
KG/Sully
Pau/KG

Pau was 27 at the time, not in his 30s and on the downswing. We got KG at about the same time, I doubt if we traded him now we'd base his worth on what we gave up for him in 2007.