Author Topic: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor  (Read 19506 times)

Re: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

I believe Lee, Bass, and Green would get it done economically.

Well that's a fun point. If Green doesn't show us anything between now and 12/15, I'd definitely make that offer.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

Well that's a fun point. If Green doesn't show us anything between now and 12/15, I'd definitely make that offer.

Same here

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Gasol is like a good used luxury car.  Still plenty of miles left , but no way will ever get the salary he is getting now.

This analogy is like my luxury car's salary. At first it seemed reasonable but then I thought about it and got really confused.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
we also have interest in Dwight Howard, a 30 year old Shaq, and a fully healthy Greg Oden
... and circa 1983 Larry Bird walkin' through that door.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Why would we do this?  We can get Gortat for the cost of $7M/year or Gasol for the cost of $19M/year.  Gortat is younger, more athletic, a better shotblocker, comparable rebounder...for less than half the price.

Part of the Laker's biggest problem with Gasol+Bynum was a lack of speed which made them sicky at defending the P&R. We already have crap P&R defense, why add to that?

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we also have interest in Dwight Howard, a 30 year old Shaq, and a fully healthy Greg Oden

do we really need another small forward though?  I mean he's have to compete with Jeff Green for minutes
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

No way Lakers are going to dump Gasol for a package centered around him if Green doesn't show anything for the Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

A fully healthy Greg Oden would probably get a season ending injury in preseason.

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

do we really need another small forward though?  I mean he's have to compete with Jeff Green for minutes

And we don't want to take away from Kris Joseph's development...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

While normally, I'd laugh hysterically at the idea of packaging together a pu pu platter like this for a legit all star big man, I think the Lakers are maybe the only team in the league who this would make anywhere near remote sense for.

LA already has a ton of top end talent and the thing their starving of is legitimate depth.

I still think they could get better offers, but it interested me to realize that the Lakers are the one team who probably wouldn't immediately hang up on this kind of offer.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

While normally, I'd laugh hysterically at the idea of packaging together a pu pu platter like this for a legit all star big man, I think the Lakers are maybe the only team in the league who this would make anywhere near remote sense for.

LA already has a ton of top end talent and the thing their starving of is legitimate depth.

I still think they could get better offers, but it interested me to realize that the Lakers are the one team who probably wouldn't immediately hang up on this kind of offer.
Yep and I might even be willing to give them like a  protected first rounder
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Can the Celtics outbid a Minnesota offer centered around Derrick Williams and Jose Barea, with filler and draft picks?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Whether or not it's worth it is an entirely different question. I say no, especially because we could get the younger Josh Smith (sorry) for less... Lee, Bass, Sully, and a pick, maybe.

Problem with that idea is Smith is on an expiring deal and as you said, is much younger. There's a much bigger market out there for him, and someone is likely to beat that offer.

Pau however, could probably be had at that price, as there isn't much market out there for him. Question is if it's worth it, does Gasol make you that much better this year than Bass does? The loss of Lee is fairly marginal, since Bradley will be back and Barbosa is there. The loss of Green hurts a bit, as you have no primary back up to Pierce then. You have to bring in a Pietrus, or have truth in Kris Joseph to get the job done.

That's a lot of risk to take for an aging post 30 year old who's clearly in the decline.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Can the Celtics outbid a Minnesota offer centered around Derrick Williams and Jose Barea, with filler and draft picks?

I don't think the Lakers will have much interest in Williams - he's too young and unproven to be the centerpiece of a Pau trade.  D'Antoni will want a sure fit.  I'd imagine AK-47 would be Minnesota's most attractive asset (other than Rubio and Love, whom I am assuming are off the table in a Pau deal).

I don't really see a good Pau trade for Minnesota anyways.  They already have an offensively gifted 5 in Pekovic and a quality defensive back-up in Stiemsma.  Pau would certainly be a nice upgrade, but the positions they desperately need upgraded are the wings.  If they deal Kirilenko (already more of a 4 than a 3) for a 5, they'll have a wing rotation of Shved, Malcolm Lee and Josh Howard with Budinger out for a long while and Roy probably done for good.

Yeah, I don't see Minny as a major player for Gasol.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Why would we do this?  We can get Gortat for the cost of $7M/year or Gasol for the cost of $19M/year.  Gortat is younger, more athletic, a better shotblocker, comparable rebounder...for less than half the price.

Part of the Laker's biggest problem with Gasol+Bynum was a lack of speed which made them sicky at defending the P&R. We already have crap P&R defense, why add to that?

Gasol is a much more dangerous player than Gortat.  One of the most lethal post games in the league.  And while he wouldn't improve our pnr defense, he would, like Gortat, allow us to keep a rim protector in the game when KG is resting. And KG is a much better frontcourt mate for him than Bynum or Howard.  KG spreads the floor beautifully, passes very well in high/low actions, and can play the 4 defensively at a high level.  Further, KG/Pau poses all kinds of match-up problems for opponents - way too much size and skill for just about any team to match-up with comfortably - while also being above-average defensively.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri