Author Topic: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor  (Read 19507 times)

Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's Hoopsworld, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it's true though.

The Boston Celtics at one point or another have expressed interest in Gasol, but they wouldn’t offer much in return for him, so a deal to or through Boston is highly unlikely. The Celtics do have a surplus of perimeter scorers and that’s something the Lakers are looking for and the Celtics do lack size in the front court, but sources say there is almost no interest in a deal from Boston’s side, the economics don’t work.

As I would expect Gasol has little value - not for his play - due to his deal.

The Lakers have explored this situation for the last two years and have a strong understanding of what Gasol’s worth is in trade – and it’s not much, because of what his contract represents in the new NBA economy.

Gasol has two more seasons left on his deal for $19 million season this year and a $19.28 million season next year. That’s hardly an attractive number especially for a team playing for anything, because those teams are at the luxury tax line or already over it.

LA will move him though if they get a deal that is fair for them.

There is little doubt that if the Lakers could get value for Gasol they’d trade him, they have kicked the tires enough to make that almost inevitable, the problem is that as much as moving Gasol and his contract would benefit the Lakers, there simply isn’t much of a market for him. That could change at the trade deadline when the Lakers have paid the bulk of Gasol’s contract, but in reality the Lakers are not actively trying to trade Gasol, they simply want him to play better and now that structure is starting to flow into the Lakers, maybe Gasol can find the consistency that’s been lacking that’s caused all of the chatter about his future.

Bass, Lee, and Green would be the only deal I can see that makes sense for LA and works financially. Still all those deals run longer then Pau's deal does so LA might not have interest. We likely wouldn't send any prospects for a guy with that contract on the wrong side of 30. Yet, all of those guys really fit LA's system well.

We would have to be able to sign Pietrus in my opinion to replace to Green. Bradley replaces Lee when he gets back. Pau obviously replaces Bass.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-is-there-a-market-for-pau-gasol/

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Celtics Have Expressed Interest in Gasol - HW rumor
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think the article is refering to previous seasons in which we expressed interest in Gasol. Remember the Gasol - Rondo hoopla and what not.

It appears that our interest in Gasol is over for many reason. Bass, Lee, and Green is a lot to give up for Gasol. Plus, we would basically seem to renting him for the rest of this season and then next season. He is great, but is getting older and is due for a new contract. I dont think we want to lock up an over 30 player for big money when we already have KG.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I think the article is refering to previous seasons in which we expressed interest in Gasol. Remember the Gasol - Rondo hoopla and what not.

It appears that our interest in Gasol is over for many reason. Bass, Lee, and Green is a lot to give up for Gasol. Plus, we would basically seem to renting him for the rest of this season and then next season. He is great, but is getting older and is due for a new contract. I dont think we want to lock up an over 30 player for big money when we already have KG.

I doubt we lock him up. His run with us likely ends when KG and Pierce's run does. Agree though that it probably stems from last season as well. I could see these teams talking again before the deadline however.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, I think this is just regurgitating year+ old rumors about the C's and Gasol.  Unless they are going to trade Pierce or KG, the numbers just don't really work. 

I do disagree with the notion that Gasol doesn't have a lot of value.  Yes, his contract does make it tougher for teams to match, but that is a hurdle that can be jumped by many teams in the league. 

Now, the Lakers may value Gasol more than other teams do, which would be an issue.  But I expect if Gasol is traded, it will be for a pretty significant haul. 

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
We'd have to send out somewhere between $17 million and $18 million in salary to bring Gasol back.  That's a lot to come up with.

I believe Lee, Bass, and Green would get it done economically.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Whether or not it's worth it is an entirely different question. I say no, especially because we could get the younger Josh Smith (sorry) for less... Lee, Bass, Sully, and a pick, maybe.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Really, the deal that makes the most sense would be Pierce and Bradley for Gasol. Lets Green get major minutes at the 3, and takes him away from the four and gives us a deadly combo up front.

Rondo/Barbosa
Terry/Lee
Green/(Joesph?)
KG/Bass/Sully
Gasol/Wilcox

It gives us a great line up and definitely addresses major issues. However, I HATE it. No way do I give up Pierce. I dont think we will hear many Gasol to Boston rumors this year.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Really, the deal that makes the most sense would be Pierce and Bradley for Gasol. Lets Green get major minutes at the 3, and takes him away from the four and gives us a deadly combo up front.

Rondo/Barbosa
Terry/Lee
Green/(Joesph?)
KG/Bass/Sully
Gasol/Wilcox

It gives us a great line up and definitely addresses major issues. However, I HATE it. No way do I give up Pierce. I dont think we will hear many Gasol to Boston rumors this year.

Ew........

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, but then I think its a no-go for either team.  Its a lot of future salary for mediocre production for LA, and its opening up too many new holes for the C's. 

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gasol is like a good used luxury car.  Still plenty of miles left , but no way will ever get the salary he is getting now.

They want to dump him before his value drops too much , I'd make em keep him another year .

They figure they would be better off with a pair of up and comming forwards that require ALOT less salary , so they can replace NASH soon to with a quality star guard.

I would rather keep an eye on Cousins status, he is loose cannon.  He could really do all the things the Celtics need inside.  Rather have Josh SMith than Gasol , unless Gasol could be had CHEAP .......like for GREEN and LEE.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

At first, I didn't like the idea of us giving the Fakers what they need (depth) at the expense of our strength (depth).

However, if we are in win-now mode (i.e., the next two years), this lineup is hard to dislike:

RR/Barbosa
AB/Jet
PP/Joseph/Pietrus?
KG/Sully/KMart?
Gasol/Wilcox

Don't like giving up our depth and future(Green), but if we are in a win-now mode and future-be-[dang]ed, this  deal deserves a long hard look.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Minnesota offered a pupu platter of role players and draft picks, would their offer look better than anything the Celtics would give up?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we also have interest in Dwight Howard, a 30 year old Shaq, and a fully healthy Greg Oden
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, but then I think its a no-go for either team.  Its a lot of future salary for mediocre production for LA, and its opening up too many new holes for the C's.
New holes?  Boston is trading 3 backups for a greatly improved starting lineup.  I think Boston would have to make that trade if it was out as it clearly upgrades Boston's starting unit (and it shaves years in salary on the back end). 

PG - Rondo, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Terry
SF - Pierce, Pietrus?
PF - Gasol, Sullinger
C - Garnett, Wilcox

I think this team is much closer to a title than the one Boston currently has and since this is an old team you make that move and don't give it a second thought.

I also think it improves L.A. title chances as well since they have no depth and thus they might actually make the trade.  Also, it will also be easier for them to move any one of the 3 going forward if they need to, then to try to move Gasol.

PG - Nash, Blake
SG - Bryant, Lee
SF - World Peace, Green
PF - Bass, Jamison
C - Howard, Hill
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip