Author Topic: Vintage Tommy fires up about Rondo, Owns Tanguay in process.  (Read 7208 times)

Re: Vintage Tommy fires up about Rondo, Owns Tanguay in process.
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Rondo has continued to improve his game.  I don't consider him the best PG in the game as many do but if he maintains this improvement trajectory, he may well become the best.  He is certainly a great passer.

That pass to Bass though was a bone head play in a close game.  It gave all the streak doubters something to hang their hats on.

There are definitely times when Rondo over passes (most every game there is a play where he tries too hard to pass).  He over passed at times before the streak too.  Most would prefer this to over shooting but it can just as easily cost a game.

I saw a lot of Magic Johnson and Stockton games in my day and even though I am sure they had some over-passing, you really didn't see it the way you see it with Rondo.  They were both much more confident in their shooting which I am sure is part of the reason.

If Rondo is going to continue his improvement trajectory, he will need to address the over-passing and just play the game.  Cutting down on bad passes is important for a passer just like cutting down on bad shots is important for a shooter and it is something that Rondo needs to work on.

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

While this is unrelated to the Bass play, Rondo gets criticized for passing up shots than he should. He often drives the lane and draws in defenders and then passes the ball out for jump shots. Since Rondo never shot the ball, the defenders that came in never tried to block the non-shot, so people claim that he passed up a wide open layup.

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rondo plays for assists / stats once in awhile, which is frustrating.  However, it happens a lot less than some critics suggest.  During the streak, Rondo hasn't played much differently than he always has, and he's currently averaging a career high in points and FG%.  It's hard to be critical.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That one Bass pass upset me.  I also remember a time last year that someone inbounded a ball and he let it roll and roll to save a bit of time and the other team stole it.  That seemed dumb also.

But Rondo has been absolutely awesome this year.  I can't expect him to do anything better.  He has been as close to perfect as it gets for point guards.  Rondo seems to get picked on a disproportionate amount.  I really wouldn't have him change a thing.

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo plays for assists / stats once in awhile, which is frustrating.  However, it happens a lot less than some critics suggest.  During the streak, Rondo hasn't played much differently than he always has, and he's currently averaging a career high in points and FG%.  It's hard to be critical.

His historically high assist totals have been going on longer than the streak. He had the highest numbers since the mid-80s (as far as the basketballreference numbers go back) in 10-11 until his play was hampered by injuries.

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We have the best passer in the game as our point guard.  Not only is he the best passer in the game today, but he's proving to be one of the greatest passers in the history of basketball.

I'm not going to complain that he gets a little selfish about that every once in a while.

As to the fast break pass to Bass that everyone hates: 

1.  The reason Brandon was sprinting up the court with Rondo ahead of him was because he knew he might get the ball.  That's a good habit to build in your teammates;  run hard, cut hard, move, get open, and you will get the ball.  This keeps everyone committed on offense.

2.  He was given uncontested, easy layups late in the game in transition, due to the defense expecting him to pass the ball.  This was set up in large part by that play earlier where he passed up an easy layup to get the ball to a hard running teammate. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
While ROndo is not MJ yet. His jumper has improved a ton over his first years .  I believe he'll slowly improve it and incorporate it into his game.  A deadly jump shot , would really cement his bid to be considered as the NBAs best point guard.

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 65
While I agree that NBA assists are inflated, I have no family friendly comments for anyone questioning Rondo's awesomeness.

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
While I agree that NBA assists are inflated, I have no family friendly comments for anyone questioning Rondo's awesomeness.

How inflated are nba assists? In both of the years of the long streaks (Stockton and Magic) assists were awarded on 60% of made baskets, and teams averaged 26 assists a game. Last year assists were awarded on 57% of made baskets and teams averaged 21 assists a game. The "inflated" numbers are lower than the numbers they're being compared to.

In fact, even if you go back to the 60s, when assists were less liberally awarded (about 50% of baskets, they were *still* getting more assists/game than now due to the pace of the game.

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 65

How inflated are nba assists? In both of the years of the long streaks (Stockton and Magic) assists were awarded on 60% of made baskets, and teams averaged 26 assists a game. Last year assists were awarded on 57% of made baskets and teams averaged 21 assists a game. The "inflated" numbers are lower than the numbers they're being compared to.

In fact, even if you go back to the 60s, when assists were less liberally awarded (about 50% of baskets, they were *still* getting more assists/game than now due to the pace of the game.

I'm european and I compare NBA assists to european leagues' assists. During the 80's and early 90's I could only get to see some playoff games, so I have no opinion on assists of that era vs today.

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I'm european and I compare NBA assists to european leagues' assists. During the 80's and early 90's I could only get to see some playoff games, so I have no opinion on assists of that era vs today.

Ah. I misunderstood your comment.

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I really don't like him fishing for assists though. It's going to cost us a game eventually.

That crap where he tried to hand it back to Bass when he had an open lay up was just pure garbage.
He had 10 assists, why mess around with crap like that.
And don't say that he was trying to get Bass involved- he was trying to get another assist.

The stat padding is bogus.
I just can't wait till this streak is over because he's giving up many easy shots.
I agree that particular stunt with Bass was bogus, but I don't think Rondo has generally pulled stuff like that.

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »

Offline jaser

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
I really don't like him fishing for assists though. It's going to cost us a game eventually.

That crap where he tried to hand it back to Bass when he had an open lay up was just pure garbage.
He had 10 assists, why mess around with crap like that.
And don't say that he was trying to get Bass involved- he was trying to get another assist.

The stat padding is bogus.
I just can't wait till this streak is over because he's giving up many easy shots.

Hes always done that....I'm pretty sure he knew he was wrong on that particular one hence the ensuing layups

i was gonna say this too. he has done that since day one. i don't think he did it to get another assist.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I dislike GT, Donny is oddly growing on me in recent years.

But I don't think Tommy owned GT here. They're right; as long as its not costing wins, the streak is a big deal, and on of the good ones.

But the whole 'looking for a reason' going back years narrative struck me as a bit paranoid. Perhaps Tommy deals with it more or sees it more often, but I don't see it. At least not en masse.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I dislike GT, Donny is oddly growing on me in recent years.

But I don't think Tommy owned GT here. They're right; as long as its not costing wins, the streak is a big deal, and on of the good ones.

But the whole 'looking for a reason' going back years narrative struck me as a bit paranoid. Perhaps Tommy deals with it more or sees it more often, but I don't see it. At least not en masse.

I strongly dislike Gary Tanguay, he's super corny and not nearly educated enough when it comes to actual basketball.