Author Topic: NFL > NBA  (Read 4011 times)

Re: NFL > NBA
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I watch the Celtics more than any pro sports team.  I probably see part of at least 75 games per year.

However, I agree that I'm more likely to watch a random NFL game than I am a random NBA game.  If the Celtics aren't involved, I'm generally not all that invested in basketball.  With football, though, I'd probably watch the Browns vs. Chiefs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:14:23 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I’m so jealous of other sports.

I never got into football, so I don’t ever watch it, but I’ve always been such a basketball junkie.  I like baseball, but still hate how much more attention it gets than the NBA. 

But I understand why.

NFL you have only 16 regular season games, NCAA you get 12, (both with one game playoff series) when you compare that to 82 and 35ish games for NBA and NCAA basketball (plus 7 game NBA playoff series), I get it.  So many crappy, meaningless games in the basketball.  A lot of 4 games in 5 nights in the NBA.  In the NBA, I’ve already seen my team 3-4x this week, that next game doesn’t always seem that important.  Also with so few games in football, every game really matters, 9-7 teams can make the playoffs, if this were the NFL the Bobcats, Magic, and TWolves would all be in the hunt for playoff spots, they probably won’t be at the end of the year in the NBA though.  You can’t take a game off in the NFL like you can in the NBA.

Plus you basically have one day a week dedicated to football.  Saturday for NCAA and Sunday for NFL.  You have all week to think about your opponent, build up excitement, talk trash to your friends, co-workers, family about the game.  You don’t have that in other sports.  That excitement build up definitely helps. And that one day a week of NFL football is on a day where majority of Americans have the day off, and can watch football all day.

With football, everyone fan gets to play the coach.  It’s like a big chess game. 4th and 5, do you punt? Do you run? Do you pass?  What kind of D do you play?  After every play you get to think about things like that, and I think most people love it, especially because most people think they’re so smart.  Nobody is watching basketball thinking “I hope Doc calls for a ball screen flare action here coming out of this timeout.”

These are some of the reasons I think football is so much more popular than basketball.  And I don’t even like football.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My favorite thing about the NFL season is that when it starts, it means basketball season isn't far away  :)

I'll watch some NFL games until basketball starts, then I don't really watch any.  I usually DVR the playoffs and start 60-90 minutes late, which is a life saver. 

Football is fun when it's a big moment, but there's way too much down time and the commentators and media take it WAY too seriously for me to really enjoy it.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I am a much bigger Celtics fan than NBA fan.

Watching a random NBA game can be pretty brutal if its not a good matchup but even the good match ups almost always get spoiled by the officiating.

The refs in the NBA really are that brutal and can really ruin the joy sometimes

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I watch the Celtics more than any pro sports team.  I probably see part of at least 75 games per year.

However, I agree that I'm more likely to watch a random NFL game than I am a random NBA game.  If the Celtics aren't involved, I'm generally not all that invested in basketball.  With football, though, I'd probably watch the Browns vs. Chiefs.

Co-sign this pretty much, If it's not the Celtics or a Playoff game, it's tough for me to get invested in a basketball game. last few minutes prehaps if it's close.

But If it's Celtics vs. some random NFL game, I'm going C's

Same with baseball.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I was with you until you said Browns vs Chiefs.  The NFL has a number of hapless teams with pretty weak QB play.  At least half the games in any given week of the NFL schedule are either super lopsided or low scoring, boring affairs. 

More than half of the games played in the NBA are either non-competitive or are played between teams going nowhere, but even in games between bad teams you can see remarkable performances by rising stars or borderline stars stuck on said bad teams.  It's much easier for individuals to shine in basketball.  In football, one great player on a bad team doesn't really get much opportunity to shine.  Larry Fitzgerald is a good example of that. 

Also, in the NBA the good teams play multiple times a week, and on any given night there's usually at least one game that presents an interesting matchup for one reason or another.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
To a lot of foreigners who aren't exposed to hype machine, they find the game boring as chart below illustrates. All the hype and build up to see 11 minutes of action.

TP.

So little actual game play in football. I'll take basketball any day. Basketball is the only sport I can bear to watch with regularity on TV. With football, I can pretty much just watch my team.

The main advantage football has is that all the injuries mean less games are possible, though the owners are always trying to add more. With less games, each individual game becomes more significant. In basketball, hockey, and especially baseball, so much drama is lost by their extremely long seasons and drawn out playoff series.

And if there are people who think that the NBA rule changes are bad to make defense on perimeter players too difficult, they must be railing against all the rules protecting QBs these days. Average QBs can now through for 4,000 yeards.

The biggest advantage that the NFL has is neutral announcers. By having neutral announcers, they do not have raving mad homer announcers and it decreases the number of conspiracy mongerers and ref blamers. The small number of plays and large number of referees also makes officiating a lot easier. The fact that most of a football game is spent with nothing going on and that there is a break between EVERY play also gives officials a chance to review every play if they want. In sports like Basketball, hockey, and especially soccer, the game is more continuous so there is little ability to review bad calls, which are unavoidable the quicker the game and the more players interact.

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
NFl

Love the strategy.

Love the hits.

Love the intensity of each game. 

Love the greater emphasis on "team"

Love the ability for a team to "turn it around" without being 'lucky' in the draft.

Don't love the changes they made to protect the QB and WRs going over the middle, but completely understand the reason and have no issue with it.

Don't like the over hampering of defenders on pass defense.