Author Topic: Bos,Atl,Phx, trade idea  (Read 2463 times)

Bos,Atl,Phx, trade idea
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Gortat and bass to Atlanta

Smith to Boston

Lee, zaza, Jenkins,  melo and picks to  suns

Gortat is on a good contract and would provide Atlanta the center they need to move horford to PF. Bass provides depth and is a good player. Both are young.

Smith to Boston while keeping bradley and sully. Duh.

Zaza is expiring. Suns saves money for the future. Gets the sg they missed out on with mayo in lee. They also get a couple 2012 first round prospects with John Jenkins and fab melo. Add in some picks as well.

Who says no?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Bos,Atl,Phx, trade idea
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Atlanta ging up too much

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I actually like it for all 3 teams. But maybe if you throw in a pick or 2 for Atlanta to sweeten the pot.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Interesting. I don't think this is the deal Atlanta wants, though, for the simple reason that they would have two starting-quality centers and they'd still be thin at forward.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Interesting. I don't think this is the deal Atlanta wants, though, for the simple reason that they would have two starting-quality centers and they'd still be thin at forward.

Gortat would move Horford back to his more natural PF position.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Don't think Atlanta would care about Horford at PF, but not sure they do this either.  At the very least Boston would have to send each team a first.  Even then I think they would hold out for at least Green.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Smith is the best player in the deal, yet Suns are the ones getting the most out of this trade.

Hawks don't give up Jenkins, Smith and Zaza for Gortat,Bass and Melo.

Suns get Zaza,Lee,Joseph and picks from Boston.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Smith to Boston

Who says no?

Atlanta and Phoenix.

Gortat isn't good enough to move Josh Smith and/or to move Horford to PF (opposing teams can keep their centers on Horford since Gortat is only a so-so shot-creator) + that is a pretty lousy return for Gortat for Phoenix. They need a lottery pick type talent for Gortat.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Smith to Boston

Who says no?

Atlanta and Phoenix.

Gortat isn't good enough to move Josh Smith and/or to move Horford to PF (opposing teams can keep their centers on Horford since Gortat is only a so-so shot-creator) + that is a pretty lousy return for Gortat for Phoenix. They need a lottery pick type talent for Gortat.

Completely disagree and I normally agree with you. Smith is a tweener forward who can't space the floor. Gortat is a great get along with Bass. You have to look at financials as well. Smith will want a raise meaning his deal will likely pay him annually more then double what Gortat makes.

Gortat and Horford > Horford and Smith

No Center really creates a shots anyways and Smith is no point forward. People really love Smith on here and he is solid, but the guy is a borderline All-Star. Gorat was that last year.

Atlanta doesn't want to pay Smith. Otherwise they would. There will be a team out there in FA that will pay Smith what he wants and that's why he will almost definitely be moved at the deadline. This talk about him staying is PR so his trade value doesn't go down any more. I am sure Atlanta has been getting low balled with every offer they have received. And yes Pau Gasol at 33 making 19 mil with a 15% trade kicker to a team with no title aspiration is a low ball offer. It's why Orlando wasn't interested.

Not sure how Gortat deserves a lottery talent but he isn't worth Smith either. Phoenix gets solid prospects on rookie deals, cap space, and picks. They also get Courtney Lee on a deal they were trying to sign OJ Mayo too.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:48:57 PM by Kane3387 »

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Don't think Atlanta would care about Horford at PF, but not sure they do this either.  At the very least Boston would have to send each team a first.  Even then I think they would hold out for at least Green.

I could see Boston moving protected firsts. I read earlier on this site DA was already considering moving this year's pick. Weak draft and we have enough young players and little PT for guys to compete for.

Who holds out for Green? I don't see atlanta really being crazy about him after they just dumped Marvin Williams. Phoenix just invested in Beasley so I don't see them wanting him either. At 4 years 36 mill I don't see teams banging on our door to give up their good assets for Green.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
One of the better proposals I've seen in a while. Atlanta would need to net another impact player to make it work however.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
One of the better proposals I've seen in a while. Atlanta would need to net another impact player to make it work however.

You think Gortat and Bass don't bring the production to the table that Smith does? I think people are underrating putting Horford at his more natural position in a Karl Malone like role.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Smith to Boston

Who says no?

Atlanta and Phoenix.

As the deadline approaches and they decide they won't be keeping Smith, I absolutely could see Atlanta doing this.  More importantly than moving Horford to PF (which I do think would be good btw), is simply acquiring Gortat at his current contract.  Firstly, its only 1 additional year, so it will have very little effect in terms of financial restrictions on any long term rebuilding effort.  Second, they will have a player that is extremely tradeable next season for any kind of assets if they do wish to deal him.  Certainly some playoff contending teams could desperately use a legit center like Gortat next year.

Phoenix I still think could get more for Gortat and should feel in absolutely no rush to deal him.  They'll wait for better offers.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Phoenix I still think could get more for Gortat and should feel in absolutely no rush to deal him.  They'll wait for better offers.

Agree that Phoenix has to do this. This is just my opinion, but I think teams now see that Gortat is a moody guy and his play on both ends suffers as a result if he is not happy. A team would have to be very confident that Gortat would be happy with his role to give up more then what Phoenix is getting here.

Boston might be one of the rare teams where quality assets can be moved and Gortat can go to a winning team where his strengths really show.

I don't see a better situation out there then for him to come to Boston and play with Rondo on this current team, with its current needs, and current goals. Phoenix might be more inclined to make Gortat happy as well to keep things good with his agent in future dealings, etc.

Gortat is already 28 years old, he’ll be going on 31 when his contract expires in the summer of 2014, and even then Gortat will still be worth about 9-12 million dollars on the open market; chances are Phoenix won’t resign him for that price especially considering that there are many talented big-men in the upcoming drafts(2013 & 2014).

So the Suns are ultimately faced with two decisions. Keep him and let him walk away and get nothing in return or trade him now and get future draft picks, as well as other assets. At this point the decision should be pretty clear, the Suns are in a rebuilding phase so they need as much asset as they can possibly find. Keeping Gortat is nothing short of a luxury that at this point that they can’t afford.

Not sure they can really get a lot of better assets. The only team I can see that could pull it off and is in a similar situation as Boston is the Thunder. However I am not sure he would thrive with Westbrook.

But if Gortat was sold on it and OKC really bought in to Gortat then I think Phoenix does the Raptors pick and Perkins in a second. I just don't see Presti making a move like this right after the Harden trade.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:07:47 PM by Kane3387 »

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Agree that Phoenix has to do this. This is just my opinion, but I think teams now see that Gortat is a moody guy and his play on both ends suffers as a result if he is not happy. A team would have to be very confident that Gortat would be happy with his role to give up more then what Phoenix is getting here.

Boston might be one of the rare teams where quality assets can be moved and Gortat can go to a winning team where his strengths really show.

I don't see a better situation out there then for him to come to Boston and play with Rondo on this current team, with its current needs, and current goals. Phoenix might be more inclined to make Gortat happy as well to keep things good with his agent in future dealings, etc.

Gortat is already 28 years old, he’ll be going on 31 when his contract expires in the summer of 2014, and even then Gortat will still be worth about 9-12 million dollars on the open market; chances are Phoenix won’t resign him for that price especially considering that there are many talented big-men in the upcoming drafts(2013 & 2014).

So the Suns are ultimately faced with two decisions. Keep him and let him walk away and get nothing in return or trade him now and get future draft picks, as well as other assets. At this point the decision should be pretty clear, the Suns are in a rebuilding phase so they need as much asset as they can possibly find. Keeping Gortat is nothing short of a luxury that at this point that they can’t afford.

Not sure they can really get a lot of better assets. The only team I can see that could pull it off and is in a similar situation as Boston is the Thunder. However I am not sure he would thrive with Westbrook.

But if Gortat was sold on it and OKC really bought in to Gortat then I think Phoenix does the Raptors pick and Perkins in a second. I just don't see Presti making a move like this right after the Harden trade.

Good point as there are several contending (or psuedo-contending) teams who would have no use for him, like Indiana, Chicago, Memphis, LA Lakers.  And some like Miami who simply have no assets to give up.  But I think a few teams like Boston, SA, OKC, and Portland could make a run for him.  A deal centered around Meyers Leonard + future first could make sense.  Who knows maybe a wildcard like the T'Wolves would want to add some more white talent to their club.  Maybe Denver/Phoenix would be interested in a Gortat/Javale McGee + future first swap?  I think there are some clubs besides Boston who have interest and could put together a competitive offer.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur