Author Topic: trade our pick? (down year for prospects)  (Read 1574 times)

trade our pick? (down year for prospects)
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
according to ESPN it is a down year for prospects

A number of NBA GMs -- including the Celtics’ Danny Ainge, the Jazz’s Kevin O’Connor, Bulls’ Gar Forman, the Warriors Bob Myers and the Blazers Neil Olshey -- were in attendance. Overall, they are seeing the same phenomenon here that they are seeing everywhere. This is a down season, talent wise, in the NCAA. “If Cody Zeller, Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel and James McAdoo are your top four picks, it’s going to be an ugly, ugly draft.”

Other than McAdoo, I couldn’t find a scout or GM convinced there was another first-round prospect here. If Kabongo plays, that could be two. But that explains, in part, why the field is so weak.

if that's the case, maybe packaging our 1st round pick with some of our salaries at the deadline (or after Dec 15 or Jan 15 for Green) makes a lot of sense

now, "they" always say it is a down year in November and by June everyone is salivating for picks, but still...

thoughts?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: trade our pick? (down year for prospects)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
according to ESPN it is a down year for prospects

A number of NBA GMs -- including the Celtics’ Danny Ainge, the Jazz’s Kevin O’Connor, Bulls’ Gar Forman, the Warriors Bob Myers and the Blazers Neil Olshey -- were in attendance. Overall, they are seeing the same phenomenon here that they are seeing everywhere. This is a down season, talent wise, in the NCAA. “If Cody Zeller, Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel and James McAdoo are your top four picks, it’s going to be an ugly, ugly draft.”

Other than McAdoo, I couldn’t find a scout or GM convinced there was another first-round prospect here. If Kabongo plays, that could be two. But that explains, in part, why the field is so weak.

if that's the case, maybe packaging our 1st round pick with some of our salaries at the deadline (or after Dec 15 or Jan 15 for Green) makes a lot of sense

now, "they" always say it is a down year in November and by June everyone is salivating for picks, but still...

thoughts?

Yeah, I think they will definitely have to consider trading their pick.

They have a few young guys to try to develop now, but they seem to be a piece away from really contending.  If they can use that pick to bring in reinforcements (ideally ones that can help this year, and also in the future), then it makes a lot of sense.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Of course if this is what multiple GMs think, the value of those picks in a trade also drops like a rock.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its true. The college game is really been watered down over the past few years with so many one and dones.

I love Nerlens but, he needs at least another year in college to bulk up. He will get moved around as much as JaJuan Johnson was last year if he doesn't get stronger. But his hand speed and ability to get his hands on balls defensively, his lateral foot movement and ability to guard perimeter bigs will find him a spot on starting NBA teams for a decade.

McAdoo really is the cream of the crop and after that, the sophomores and upper classmen stink and there's only about 4-5 freshmen who would be getting regular playing time within 2 years.

Seriously think the NBA has to reconsider the age limit for incoming players though even with increased age limitations you are just going to have bad years.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What's the Euro crop like?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Celtics keep their pick, there's some potential forum comedy from the reaction of people who want to trade for Josh Smith if the Celtics end up drafting UCLA fatboy center Joshua Smith.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The pick has been on the table for me all year.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think you're worth a 2014 1st rounder, at least.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I think you're worth a 2014 1st rounder, at least.

That is by far the nicest scouting report Ive ever gotten. TP.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This year I'd be offering every pick we have completely regardless of how strong the draft is.

We aren't getting a Lebron James with a 15th or so pick regardless, and the vast majority of players on our team are < 28 years old.  We don't need prospects, we need proven guys who can contribute to title run right now.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Unless in the lottery, it's probably a safer bet to trade draft picks for established players anyway.  I'm surprised at how firmly Danny holds on to picks, even late, late ones.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I understand that it's a down year, but is that article suggesting McAdoo is the only first round talent in the draft this year? That's absurd.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Unless in the lottery, it's probably a safer bet to trade draft picks for established players anyway.

The safer bet is not always the best bet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference