Author Topic: when Jeff Green plays well, we play well...  (Read 5312 times)

when Jeff Green plays well, we play well...
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
they mentioned it on NBA tv, but THAT is the Jeff Green we need every game for us to be an elite team...now i'm not saying he needs to give us 17ppg, but 8-10shots, 10-13PPg is what we need from him off the bench night in/night out.

I hope last night clicked something in his head. because he seemed to come out with a different mindset of "attack, attack" I think he'll get it

the other positive is it keeps Pierce on the bench. I don't think its any coincidence that he came out and looked fresh/dominated in the fourth after getting some solid rest.

Re: when Jeff Green plays well, we play well...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
More concerted effort has to be made to give him touches. Early in the ball game, our ball movement was awful. Rondo was eating the clock and Pierce didn't make a single pass in the 1st quarter.

After that it seemed like the ball was moving better, particularly evident when Rondo was making passes early in the shot-clock, and I think Green was a big beneficiary of this.

And I want to see more of that, more early initiation of our offensive sets.

That said, Green certainly made a better effort to make himself available.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's true.  The Celtics are much better team when Green gives us something.  He looked great on offense last night.  I'm not holding my breath for him consistently playing like last night though.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We need a hypnotist to tell him were playing Okc every night.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
For the sake of being disappointed again, I won't get too excited about Jeff Green after one good performance.  I still say we trade him if we can get Gortat, Josh, or Cousins.  His inconsistency can be detrimental to us.  My biggest concern is his effort on the court.  He's been coasting for the majority party of the season.  I still say trade him

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
For the sake of being disappointed again, I won't get too excited about Jeff Green after one good performance.  I still say we trade him if we can get Gortat, Josh, or Cousins.  His inconsistency can be detrimental to us.  My biggest concern is his effort on the court.  He's been coasting for the majority party of the season.  I still say trade him

you want Pierce playing 48-minutes a night? who is our backup SF if we trade green?

green has the potential to give us 10-12ppg a night..and play like he did in OKC. he just has to stay aggressive going to the hoop

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think last night is a clear indicator that whatever problems Jeff has that they are in his head.   The surgery stuff is a joke, because how did he play last night as well as he did if it were the case.   He needs a therapist more than a physical therapist.   Just play aggressive, Jeff.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

you want Pierce playing 48-minutes a night? who is our backup SF if we trade green?

green has the potential to give us 10-12ppg a night..and play like he did in OKC. he just has to stay aggressive going to the hoop

The Celtics find someone.

Green has talent.  He doesn't have the mindset to use that talent every night.  And we haven't seen the mindset where he turns it on in a big moment. 

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Green has talent.  He doesn't have the mindset to use that talent every night.  And we haven't seen the mindset where he turns it on in a big moment.

Maybe.  But it doesn't help that he's playing limited minutes still and that he's on a pretty short leash.  If he gets hot, Doc plays him more minutes.  But if he misses a few shots, he could end up playing 15 minutes in a game or less.  That certainly doesn't help instill confidence in a player looking to get things going. 

I think it would definitely benefit Green if Doc decided to play him 25-30 mpg no matter what.  I don't know, however, if that would benefit the team as a whole.  And it's certainly easier said than done given this team's depth and the fact that Paul Pierce still is the force that he is. 

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
More concerted effort has to be made to give him touches. Early in the ball game, our ball movement was awful. Rondo was eating the clock and Pierce didn't make a single pass in the 1st quarter.

After that it seemed like the ball was moving better, particularly evident when Rondo was making passes early in the shot-clock, and I think Green was a big beneficiary of this.

And I want to see more of that, more early initiation of our offensive sets.

That said, Green certainly made a better effort to make himself available.
I dont even think we have to run plays for him. All the times he scored were possessions where a play wasnt called for him, and he didnt even score the 2 times Doc called for him to get the ball. He seems to be a really good instinct player, we just need him to be as hungry for the ball as he was last night.  It was amazing to see him backing down his defender and raising an arm to call for the ball.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
To all the Jeff Green haters time to eat some crow. 17 points off the bench! Green is looking like an absolute steal right now and the top 1-2 player on the celtics in the future.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yeah.  There was a play at the end of the 4th where Bass ripped down a tough rebound.  For a split second I thought it was Green and almost pooped my pants because it was so uncharacteristic of Green- being a big moment and being a rebound. 

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard

Yeah.  There was a play at the end of the 4th where Bass ripped down a tough rebound.  For a split second I thought it was Green and almost pooped my pants because it was so uncharacteristic of Green- being a big moment and being a rebound.

After watching his talent and potential i dare you to name someone with a much better contract than green this year?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

After watching his talent and potential i dare you to name someone with a much better contract than green this year?

Green played well last night. If he can consistently contribute like a Carl Landry with 15/7 off the bench, while providing clutch 4th quarter scoring like Landry he will be worth it. Btw Landry's contract is 2 years/4 million so I think that is a bit less than Green's.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard

JG has allstar potential. THere is a reason he was drafted number 5 and carl landy was undrafted. plus landry is on one of the worst teams in the league- the warriors. green should be better than him i believe