Author Topic: Fab Melo's first NBDL game  (Read 5840 times)

Re: Fab Melo's first NBDL game
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Fab Melo was a hate pick. It's like in fantasy draft when you pick a player you don't want/need so someone else can't have them. We didn't want Melo to pan out for some other team so we grabbed him. I was standing up screaming PJIII during the draft but Ainge is a smart guy.

I don't think anyone saw Melo contributing this year and there are some doubts as to ever.

Danny Ainge isnt playing a fantasy draft and he's certainly not picking project bigs so other teams cant have them.
That's for sure. The question is, will Ainge wait 2-3 years for Melo to develop?  Based on Perk, it may take at least that long, or possibly longer since he hasn't played basketball for very long so he doesn't have a good feel for the game yet.  My guess it the roster spot is too valuable to wait, and Ainge will eventually trade him, especially if he can improve to the point where he has some better value.

Kris Joseph, OTOH, is a near NBA-ready prospect who has a GREAT feel for the game.  He reminds me a bit of Marquis Damiels with his crafty moves but with a bit of the Ryan Gomes "glue-guy" in him as well.  Unfortunately, the team is loaded at the guard positions currently.  He might get a shot if a trade goes down that includes Lee or Bradley.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
For your comparison, last night we saw a Fab Melo dressed in Thunder roster: Hasheem Thabeet.
He had a D-League stint also and averaged a double-double alongside 3.0 bpg or something along the lines, so, D-League doesn't necessarily help you develop a game.

And I don't think Melo will ever become a true backup center in this league, either.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Idk, it looks like to me for potential rankings:

Joseph looks like Bradley(success in D-League, remembered watching his 9 steals game)

Melo looks like Micah Downs(never ending D-League career)
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Shot blocking is the only thing Melo can do at the NBA level right now. I think his 4 blocks in his first D-League game is a good example. His offense and his rebounding are still at the college level. How does Fab only pull down 1 rebound in 20 minutes? I think the kid has a great future but its going to be a year or two before Doc plays him.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Shot blocking is the only thing Melo can do at the NBA level right now. I think his 4 blocks in his first D-League game is a good example. His offense and his rebounding are still at the college level. How does Fab only pull down 1 rebound in 20 minutes? I think the kid has a great future but its going to be a year or two before Doc plays him.

Doc thought Melo would dominate the D league, so it might be even longer before he considers playing him!

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I think I figured why he has low rebounding totals. He always tries to block shots, aleays challenging shots, he's always in the air, so he's in no position to get a lot of rebounds.

The 4 swats are a good sign though. But this'll be a slow progress. But if we're patient, well have a very capable defensive big man and would make some shots. He will improve.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
His second game: 7/10 for 14 points in 20 minutes. 4 rebounds. 1 block.

Anybody watch it?

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
As the devil's advocate, I will predict that Fab Melo will see a few minutes with the Celtics before the year is out and will be on the bench next year.  I think he has tremendous upside and will at the least will, in the future, be a servicable center.  If I am wrong, feel free to rub it in, but if I am right, be prepared to eat crow.   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
His second game: 7/10 for 14 points in 20 minutes. 4 rebounds. 1 block.

Anybody watch it?

Some of it. I believe all his baskets were dunks, either from alley oops or "catch and dunk". He showed better hands than in the first game, probably because he played more within his role and abilities. When he does that, he looks a lot more like an NBA player. However, that is a very limited game, indeed (but you could say the same for Ryan Hollins, etc.).

He didn't look good on man to man defense against Miles Plumlee - I believe it was the same in the Summer League. He has to learn to use his body against big players and not just be a rim protector.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
As the devil's advocate, I will predict that Fab Melo will see a few minutes with the Celtics before the year is out and will be on the bench next year.  I think he has tremendous upside and will at the least will, in the future, be a servicable center.  If I am wrong, feel free to rub it in, but if I am right, be prepared to eat crow.   ;)
nah i agree, he is sooo raw, i can see him being third string center next year
he's a project but to me looks worth it
not ready to give up on either syracuse guy i could see both getting some nba minutes next year

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Fab Melo was a hate pick. It's like in fantasy draft when you pick a player you don't want/need so someone else can't have them. We didn't want Melo to pan out for some other team so we grabbed him. I was standing up screaming PJIII during the draft but Ainge is a smart guy.

I don't think anyone saw Melo contributing this year and there are some doubts as to ever.

Danny Ainge isnt playing a fantasy draft and he's certainly not picking project bigs so other teams cant have them.
That's for sure. The question is, will Ainge wait 2-3 years for Melo to develop?  Based on Perk, it may take at least that long, or possibly longer since he hasn't played basketball for very long so he doesn't have a good feel for the game yet.  My guess it the roster spot is too valuable to wait, and Ainge will eventually trade him, especially if he can improve to the point where he has some better value.

Kris Joseph, OTOH, is a near NBA-ready prospect who has a GREAT feel for the game.  He reminds me a bit of Marquis Damiels with his crafty moves but with a bit of the Ryan Gomes "glue-guy" in him as well.  Unfortunately, the team is loaded at the guard positions currently.  He might get a shot if a trade goes down that includes Lee or Bradley.

I think ainge knew Melo would be a project when he drafted him though...Sullinger always was going to be the more NBA ready pick.

i think ainge understands that if you want a quality center in this league you have to "home grow" one....finding a quality-decent center on the market through free-agency is expensive

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That or draft high....

Melo is a real project but one with potential.   He gets a go to move down low and some strength, nba conditioning and some experience and he will be ok.  I have not seen enough of him to gauge him between the ears which will be vital but I have read he is a hard worker.

He is not a stiff.   But he is not an elite player at anyone but shotblocking at present.  Project defines him perfectly.

He has two things that can't be taught.   Defensive timing for blocks, guys usually either have it or you don't, Melo has it and height, he is a legit seven footer.