Author Topic: Fab Melo's first NBDL game  (Read 5838 times)

Fab Melo's first NBDL game
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
In 20 minutes, Melo went 1 for 2 with 2 points and 1 rebound, 4 blocks. I think it's going to be a while before he works himself to NBA level skills.

Re: Fab Melo's first NBDL game
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Melo biggest adjustment is speed of the game. When game finally slows down for him, he'll be a defensive beast at center.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a project with size and potential but he is raw.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think he's gonna take a while to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. He has shown great potential and he improves quite fast but it going to take him a while to be a contributor to the C's.

With that said, 4 blocks is not so bad.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I live about 30 minutes from the red claws arena so I'm pretty excited to watch melo a handful of times this year
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
theres no such thing as NBDL

its nba dl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This. Bad hands, looks like low ball IQ. Let him play out the season against Dleague talent and work out some kinks.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Kris Joseph looks like he had a good game.

28 points and 8 boards.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

This. Bad hands, looks like low ball IQ. Let him play out the season against Dleague talent and work out some kinks.

I'm not sure, that he has bad hands, but even his fundamentals are raw. If you just want a 7' guy to protect the rim, you could do a lot worse, but he won't give you a lot of rebounds - because he is rarely in the right position - and you play 4 on 5 on offense.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Fab Melo was a hate pick. It's like in fantasy draft when you pick a player you don't want/need so someone else can't have them. We didn't want Melo to pan out for some other team so we grabbed him. I was standing up screaming PJIII during the draft but Ainge is a smart guy.

I don't think anyone saw Melo contributing this year and there are some doubts as to ever.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Kris Joseph looks like he had a good game.

28 points and 8 boards.

Joseph struck me as a guy who doesn't really have much to learn at the DL level.  Fairly polished game.  He'll add little techniques and moves as he gets older, but for the most part he is what he is - a SG/SF with good size and average athleticism who does most things reasonably well but possesses no elite skills.  Unfortunately, decent-all-around guys have a tough time finding playing time in the NBA. 

As far as Melo goes, I wouldn't pay too much attention to stats.  The DL is full of guards and wings chucking up shots to try to get noticed.  It's not the best place for bigs to develop their offense, and Melo's usage (two shots, no assists, no TO's) supports that.  The DL also lacks advanced statistics that might give us a good read on how well he's playing defensively, and blocks aren't a very good measure. 

The one stat that remains important is rebounding, and unfortunately, Melo didn't show much in that department tonight.  He will never help us unless he greatly improves on the boards. 

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Fab Melo was a hate pick. It's like in fantasy draft when you pick a player you don't want/need so someone else can't have them. We didn't want Melo to pan out for some other team so we grabbed him. I was standing up screaming PJIII during the draft but Ainge is a smart guy.

I don't think anyone saw Melo contributing this year and there are some doubts as to ever.

Danny Ainge isnt playing a fantasy draft and he's certainly not picking project bigs so other teams cant have them.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Joseph is much more NBA ready than Melo.  Melo has more potential and size but Kris is more ready.   Kris was the best player at Syracuse last year, their leading scorer.

I really think Melo needs to work on his hands and body.  College guys are rarely ready to come in and bang in the NBA.  A strong college guy can but most college guys are not NBA strong.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like the "four blocks" part of that stat line.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I actually caught almost a half of the Claws game, as I couldn't get the C's.
Melo picked up two fouls(bogus I might add)in about the first 40 seconds of the game! One on a clean blocked shot from behind on a guard that penetrated cleanly for a layup.  The other he got called for a blocking foul, where it clearly looked like he got position and took a charge! I'm sure it wasn't good why to get a feel for your first pro game!
Actually, the whole Claws team looked alot like our C's, with very little rebounding, and giving up lots of penetration to their guards! Since they're supposed to be running OUR sytem, I guess that would follow.

Just on what I saw KJ looked a little out of control, but must have gotten better in the second half. Chris Wright, from my neck of the woods at WSU in Dayton,O, looking good. His knock was always his outside shooting, but saw him knock down 2 smooth 3's!  Shelvin Mack played well, and can really shoot!  Those three were listed as 17th, 4th and 9th best pro prospects in the D League! With the exception of KJ, the others have all small, but considerable time in the Show.