Author Topic: Courtney Lee's defense appreciation thread  (Read 4624 times)

Re: Courtney Lee's defense appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Sure, Lee's defense has been good.

Bradley's isn't just good. It's game-changing.

To anyone who says we can trade Bradley because Lee is just as good, I encourage you to watch ANY YouTube link of Bradley's defense.

EDIT: Here's a good one, for starters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZO3-Iq-t4

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
That's definitely the way to describe his defense. GAME CHANGING. For a team that prides themselves on defense, you cannot trade the only guy on the team that brings that kind of defense night in and night out.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
This is why I'm more open to trading AB now. Because CLee can shut Wade down.

I have, however, become a proponent of waiting it out and seeing where this current roster takes us. The fact that we are less than 20 games into the season is completely overlooked by everyone here for some reason. Ugh.

However, if need be, AB for a decent big is very possible from the looks of it.

in what way has Courtney Lee shut wade down?

He may have been terrible scoring the ball but on D he's been absolutely great since he got here.

He D'd up Westbrook when playing against the Thunder at the end. Westbrook is far more explosive of a player than Wade is now.

AB makes plays on D, forces turnovers with his ball hawking but Lee is a great defender in his own right.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I have, however, become a proponent of waiting it out and seeing where this current roster takes us. The fact that we are less than 20 games into the season is completely overlooked by everyone here for some reason. Ugh.

In Lee's only opportunity to so far (on opening night), Lee did a great job 1-1 on Wade when he was in the game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

In Lee's only opportunity to so far (on opening night), Lee did a great job 1-1 on Wade when he was in the game.

yes he did, DWade was 10/22 and credit most of those misses to CLee. However, Lee can still be better on defense, on that game and most games, we see Lee gamble too much. I remember during the Miami game, there were two or three scenarios where Lee gambled by either double teaming or trying to steal the ball.

Bradley on the other hand, sticks to his man. They're both excellent defenders but also different types of defenders. I don't want to trade Bradley at all, and I do want to see Bradley and Lee on Wade for one game. Wade might go for less than 40% shooting and be crying in the locker room :)

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Yawn.

If his defense was anywhere near bradleys last year he'd be starting.

Bradleys defense put a hall of famer on the bench...Lee cant start over a career bench player who likes to be a 6th man

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yawn.

Bradleys defense put a hall of famer on the bench...Lee cant start over a career bench player who likes to be a 6th man

TP. End of discussion.

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Yawn.

TP. End of discussion.

that shut me up

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Yawn.

TP. End of discussion.

that shut me up

LOL yup, end of this silly discussion.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Bradley is on the level of all-league defensively.  I know I never said that Lee and Bradley are on the same level - VERY few players in the league are on Bradley's level.

But I still appreciate Courtney Lee's defense and despite him being known for it, I think it's still being overlooked.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Lee has been good on defense but not great.

He has been awful on offense (besides a few decent midrange jumpers here and there).

He's a good player that hasn't been playing well. He will find his niche eventually. But with the way Terry and Barbosa can score, once AB comes back, he is the odd man out. I don't know if Doc and DA will want to trade him because of how he was recruited, but the value won't even be there.

His size is an asset and may find him playing time because our 3 other SG's are all undersized, but if Green ever gets going, you may see him and Pierce together at the 2/3 against bigger 2's.

I thought Lee would have a huge role with the team, but his struggles coupled with the surprising acquisition and great play of Barbosa and the eventual return of AB may turn him into a cheerleader more than anyone originally thought.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

yes he did, DWade was 10/22 and credit most of those misses to CLee. However, Lee can still be better on defense, on that game and most games, we see Lee gamble too much. I remember during the Miami game, there were two or three scenarios where Lee gambled by either double teaming or trying to steal the ball.

Bradley on the other hand, sticks to his man. They're both excellent defenders but also different types of defenders. I don't want to trade Bradley at all, and I do want to see Bradley and Lee on Wade for one game. Wade might go for less than 40% shooting and be crying in the locker room :)

So Wade scores 20+ points (he averages around 25) and shoots 46% (he averages around 49%) and we consider that very good defense?

If he scores 20+ on 40% shooting, then THAT is very good defense.  If he scores 17 on 46% shooting THAT is very good defense.

If he shoots 36% then that's elite defense.

If he scores 20+ on 46% shooting that's merely "above average" defense, not great.

Oh and do not compare Lee's defense to Bradley's.  He's bigger and possibly just as quick as Bradley, but his defense is nowhere near as good.  He varies from average to good on defense depending on the night, while Bradley is consistently elite.

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

So Wade scores 20+ points (he averages around 25) and shoots 46% (he averages around 49%) and we consider that very good defense?

Did you watch the game?  Courtney Lee played just 24 minutes.  Wade scored a lot of points against the defense of Jason Terry and Jeff Green.  Jeff Green particularly got absolutely torched by Wade.  Lee did not give up those 29 points to Wade.

As for your other claim (not quoted), I don't really feel like I've ever seen Lee play merely "average" defense and his defense peaking at "good".  But that is a purely subjective argument, so we'll just have to disagree.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
im actually surprised that lee has been slumping..before the season started I thought he would thrive with the starting unit, playing the role that Pietrus did...corner 3's, D and some driving to the hoop.

but his shot has been really off so far..I think he'll get it going eventually

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I remember seeing Lee playing pretty good defense on Wade in that Miami game and most of the points Wade scored were when Terry and Rondo were covering him.

If you guys who doubt Lee's defensive abilities need some re-assuring, check out Kevin Martin's statline from when the Celtics played the Thunder. It aint pretty, and I'm pretty sure Lee had a lot to do with it.

Lee's defense isn't the best in the league but it's pretty darn good. The reason why the Celtics picked him up was because Avery's D is more suited for point guards and undersized quick 2s. Having Lee gives the Celtics someone who can shut down the more traditional 2 guards like Kobe or Ray, something Avery isn't suited to do with his skillset. The fact that Lee can play good defense on quick guards like Wade is just gravy to me.

The guy's struggling with his offense but I don't really think he's looking for it or is just not comfortable right now. Factor that with several other players who have shown they can score in spurts like Jeff Green, Leandro Barbosa, and Jared Sullinger and it might be a little hard for Lee to find his niche offensively. I'm pretty sure C's fans would pay more attention to Lee's struggles but they're too focused on Jeff Green's.