Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 3108 times)

Crossfit
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Is anyone into Crossfit here? I'm seriously considering leaving my gym (and basketball court) to give this a try. I've become bored with my bodybuilding style workouts and am looking for a change and to try something new.

Things is, it is pricey, even with a law enforcement discount it is looking like $150/month. Is there anyone here who has signed up and found it not to be worth it?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Crossfit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
bump. I'm really interested in this.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not pay that kind of money for that.  Get a pullup bar and do push ups, do some polymetrics on the side and sprints.  You will get the same results I would wager.

Do you do olympic style lifts?  They are the best for explosive power which is what makes in difference in harm's way.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I would not pay that kind of money for that.  Get a pullup bar and do push ups, do some polymetrics on the side and sprints.  You will get the same results I would wager.

Do you do olympic style lifts?  They are the best for explosive power which is what makes in difference in harm's way.

It is not so much about the workouts but rather the system and competetive atmosphere. I want to compete. Competition is what pushes folks to the next level.

The money is pretty insane, however. But I've yet to hear from someone doing it who doesn't believe it is worth it. From the coaching to the atmosphere, it is all top notch.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The workouts certainly payoff. And if your crunched for time it's perfect. You can bust out super beastly full body workouts in only 15 to 20 minutes at a time.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I recently started and love it. You definitely get pushed hard. The price is steep by I needed the competitive and community atmosphere.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I recently started and love it. You definitely get pushed hard. The price is steep by I needed the competitive and community atmosphere.

This above is how my friends describe it.  They really like it, but they acknowledge that they probably pay too much for it.

I did my first Spartan Race recently, loved it, and am going to get myself into doing the Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, and maybe Warrior Dash races on a regular basis.  When I go to the gym, I make up my own "cross fit" type exercises.  Its kind of fun so far, I have to be creative and try to base my exercises on similar muscle movements and cardio stretches that I needed to do in the Spartan Race.  Maybe it will get old, I don't know... but I'm pretty positive I'm getting better bang for my buck ($20/month Planet Fitness) than Cross Fit.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

This above is how my friends describe it.  They really like it, but they acknowledge that they probably pay too much for it.

I did my first Spartan Race recently, loved it, and am going to get myself into doing the Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, and maybe Warrior Dash races on a regular basis.  When I go to the gym, I make up my own "cross fit" type exercises.  Its kind of fun so far, I have to be creative and try to base my exercises on similar muscle movements and cardio stretches that I needed to do in the Spartan Race.  Maybe it will get old, I don't know... but I'm pretty positive I'm getting better bang for my buck ($20/month Planet Fitness) than Cross Fit.

Good for you. Does Crossfit train you for these style races?

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

That's what it's all about to me. I've been in the gym by myself for a couple years now (I used to have a partner), and I have to tell you, it's become pretty mundane. this would be a good change of pace. I think I might give up my smartphone to make this happen while still being able to save.

$150 a month is really tough to swallow, but If I eliminate my current gym membership ($50) and drop my smartphone it will bring me close.

Your not a Woburn member by chance?

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If I wanted a good workout in a competative atmosphere I would sign up at a boxing gym.   Much cheaper, translate well on the street and get's you into good shape.

I never needed anyone to push me harder when I was in the service.  Your life too being a law enforcement type is always in the danger zone.  That would be enough to train to failure every time to make sure I was ready.  I could do some crazy things back in those days.  Ruck for miles, I was in an infantry battalion, and not get tired and still raise cain all night.

I would not pay for $150 for it.   I would get a buddy and compete with him but it's your life and your money so do what you think is best.

Thanks for your service, TP!

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Is anyone into Crossfit here? I'm seriously considering leaving my gym (and basketball court) to give this a try. I've become bored with my bodybuilding style workouts and am looking for a change and to try something new.

Things is, it is pricey, even with a law enforcement discount it is looking like $150/month. Is there anyone here who has signed up and found it not to be worth it?

a buddy of mine is actually a crossfit instructor and competitor.  he swears by it and loves it.  i have tried it a few times and thought it was a great workout, but like a lot of people have said, not worth the $.  imo, i would sign up for some type of martial arts training.  great work out, useful, and a ton of fun.  it has the community and competitive atmosphere (and you can compete if you choose).  i train 4x/week.  great workout and just awesome overall.  being involved in martial arts, isn't just a great workout, but it really improves your lifestyle and improves your daily life in so many different ways.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
If I wanted a good workout in a competative atmosphere I would sign up at a boxing gym.   Much cheaper, translate well on the street and get's you into good shape.

I never needed anyone to push me harder when I was in the service.  Your life too being a law enforcement type is always in the danger zone.  That would be enough to train to failure every time to make sure I was ready.  I could do some crazy things back in those days.  Ruck for miles, I was in an infantry battalion, and not get tired and still raise cain all night.

I would not pay for $150 for it.   I would get a buddy and compete with him but it's your life and your money so do what you think is best.

Thanks for your service, TP!

Thanks, and right back at you. I would love to join up with friends and workout but my oddball shift work makes it very difficult.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

a buddy of mine is actually a crossfit instructor and competitor.  he swears by it and loves it.  i have tried it a few times and thought it was a great workout, but like a lot of people have said, not worth the $.  imo, i would sign up for some type of martial arts training.  great work out, useful, and a ton of fun.  it has the community and competitive atmosphere (and you can compete if you choose).  i train 4x/week.  great workout and just awesome overall.  being involved in martial arts, isn't just a great workout, but it really improves your lifestyle and improves your daily life in so many different ways.

Martial arts sounds appealing. How much do you pay? Are there noon sessions? If you could pm some details I would appreciate it. TP.

I wouldnt even be having this conversation if the courts at my gym didn't become overcrowded at noon. I'm lucky to get two games in if my team loses the first game now. I was in the best shape of my life when I was playing ball for an hour straight after lifting everyday.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Martial arts sounds appealing. How much do you pay? Are there noon sessions? If you could pm some details I would appreciate it. TP.

I wouldnt even be having this conversation if the courts at my gym didn't become overcrowded at noon. I'm lucky to get two games in if my team loses the first game now. I was in the best shape of my life when I was playing ball for an hour straight after lifting everyday.

sorry man, i just saw this.

it all depends on what u want to study.  there ar many martial arts available.  you can go the traditional route, taekwondo, kung fu, karate, ju jitsu, etc.  or you can do the more modern style, mma.  the important thing is finding a good school with good teachers who are sincere in their teaching, rather than collecting $.  you also have to ask if you want to do it seriously, like competing, or if this is something to do for fun, personal growth, and to stay in shape.

$ plays a factor in you get what you pay for.  some school require monthly fees, which is BS imo.  you will need to figure out how many days you want to train a week, as that will dictate price.  many schools will have prices by how many classes you do a week.  some schools offer a higher tuition, but it is a savings, for unlimited classes a week.  $ also plays a factor in buying training gear and equipment.  in traditional martial arts, you will also have to pay for a uniform, and then every time there is a belt test.

in my case, i pay next to nothing bc the master is one of my in-laws :)  i study taekwondo and compete in many tournaments in the new england area each year.  its a lot of fun.  i do forms, breaking, and sparring.  in some tournaments i do some extra events like height breaking and creative forms.

there is a ton of schools out there.  but you have to know what u want before you begin your search.

if you need anything else or have questions, ask away.