Author Topic: The problem on defense is dribble penetration  (Read 2112 times)

The problem on defense is dribble penetration
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
it seems like alot of people think if we obtain Gortat our problems will be fixed. but as long as Terry/Lee/Rondo CANNOT stay in front of guards, the bigs are going to have to come out and help on the perimiter which leaves the paint wide open....

when KG has to come out and stop parker as he gets around Rondo, his guy is left open to the basket. if he stays with his guy, thats a layup for parker

our defense will only improve once we stop the dribble penetration on the pick and rolls...this is why people are looking forward to bradley coming back. because he CAN stay in front of his man which allows Kevin Garnett to stay in the paint

this is the same problem we had last year wtih allen in the starting lineup. guards were penetrating at ease.

Re: The problem on defense is dribble penetration
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
kind of
its more to do with the rotation of players

bradley is a rare bird that he can really stay in front of just about anyone
every other guard and wing on the team angles an opponent towards our bigs, 1st big picks up driver, weak side guy has not been covering that bigs man
too many guys to point out have been missing this BUT its early and our defense is set up for team defense so it'll take awhile

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Exactly, TP.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That's only partially true.  Bigs have always had to help on dribble penetration.  Sure, the guards have to do a better job of fighting off screens and staying in front of guys, but the bigs also have to do a better job of rotating and showing and recovering on pick and rolls. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Well, it's Westbrook. Did a better job late in the game.

CLee on Westbrook definitely helped. Westbrook is just too physical.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought the defense looked much improved.  Still needs some work, Westbrook can make anyone look bad and same of Durant.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I've been saying this for a while so I'll give you a TP.

I know that another quality big will help this team with things like this but I'm so reluctant to support the notion of trading away quality young guys for it.

I know for a fact that a lot of our defense and rebounding problems are system, chemistry and effort related rather than personnel related. Trading for new guys at this point could actually make these things worse rather than better.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Thank you.  Thank you.  THANK YOU.  TP.

Gortat does nothing to solve this problem.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
That's true to an extent.
But if there's a keeper center in behind, you can actually put more ball pressure to the opposing guard to keep him out of his comfort zone.
But yes, recovering to face the attacking player off the screen as quickly as possible is essential to defense.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I actually agree with this.

Anyone can just drive through the lane and create chaos.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
And the best way to fix it is to have more then one guy down low to great them, like the Celtics did in 2008. 

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
TP for this post.  I have mentioned this in other threads as well.  I feel our biggest d problem has been letting guys into the paint from dribble penetration.  It has mostly been guards, but others as well.  Once we clamp down to slow down the penetration, our help D can actually do what it is supposed to do.

I think this is one reason why AB is so missed right now.  When he plays d on the opposing point guard he not only can be effective stopping the dribble penetration, he also takes time off the shot clock from his pressure.  It makes other teams hurry their plays, or gets them out of their sets completely and makes them take more difficult shots. 

it seems like alot of people think if we obtain Gortat our problems will be fixed. but as long as Terry/Lee/Rondo CANNOT stay in front of guards, the bigs are going to have to come out and help on the perimiter which leaves the paint wide open....

when KG has to come out and stop parker as he gets around Rondo, his guy is left open to the basket. if he stays with his guy, thats a layup for parker

our defense will only improve once we stop the dribble penetration on the pick and rolls...this is why people are looking forward to bradley coming back. because he CAN stay in front of his man which allows Kevin Garnett to stay in the paint

this is the same problem we had last year wtih allen in the starting lineup. guards were penetrating at ease.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And the best way to fix it is to have more then one guy down low to great them, like the Celtics did in 2008.

Aye, we should have another to greet them. A lot of our bigs as we are currently constituted are not well suited to this kind of help.   

But I also think we should try harder to deny the lane to them.   Penetration makes you vulnerable to fouls and assists not to mention scoring.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

How soon we forget the defensive job Pierce did that season. The job James Posey did that season. We also had Tony Allen, one of the best perimeter defenders, and Ray Allen was holding his own.

So while indeed KG at his best defensively, and Perk doing his thing, our perimeter defense was very very good.

There's only so much protection the bigs can do, but if the perimeter players are not doing their job, the bigs help won't mean squat.

Most of our big problems are coming from our bigs overhelping because our perimeter defenders simply aren't cutting it. Not Rondo and certainly not Terry. Lee comes and goes.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

How soon we forget the defensive job Pierce did that season. The job James Posey did that season. We also had Tony Allen, one of the best perimeter defenders, and Ray Allen was holding his own.

So while indeed KG at his best defensively, and Perk doing his thing, our perimeter defense was very very good.

There's only so much protection the bigs can do, but if the perimeter players are not doing their job, the bigs help won't mean squat.

Most of our big problems are coming from our bigs overhelping because our perimeter defenders simply aren't cutting it. Not Rondo and certainly not Terry. Lee comes and goes.

I don't see why it has to be bigs vs. guards when it comes to laying blame for our early defensive struggles.  It takes five guys playing as one to play good, Celtics defense.  I've seen bigs out of position, as well as guards and wings getting burned too easily so far this season.  Everyone has to shore up their defense together. 

It's not a matter of bigs vs. guards as a matter of culpability. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson