Author Topic: Thunder (9-3) at Celtics (6-6) 11/23  (Read 36882 times)

Re: Thunder (9-3) at Celtics (6-6) 11/23
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Nice showing.  Tommy was real excited about how the defense was 100% improved from San Antonio, but I disagree.  Still got a ways to go.

And shooting such a high percentage tonight really helped.

Kevin Martin following three straight 20+ points performance with this one helped.
We still allowed OKC to score 35 4th quarter points.
Our offense looks a lot better than our defense does, to be honest.

« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Nice showing.  Tommy was real excited about how the defense was 100% improved from San Antonio, but I disagree.  Still got a ways to go.

I thought there was just more hustle tonight. Plain and simple hard work. On the glass and for the loose balls.

I thought Doc did a much better job of not leaving the Celtics exposed with a small line up. Maybe there are some truths to the Kenyon Martin/Gortat rumors.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 65
Must be a bit tough to be Jeff Green. He plays his best game of the season and seems to loosen up, and suddenly the Captain plays like it's 2008 again.

Yeah, it was as if the captain got worried about losing minutes and went off.

« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980

Kevin Martin following three straight 20+ points performance with this one helped.

No question, our D has been the problem all season.  But we look good offensively. 

I believe this team will tighten up on the defensive end and our offense will continue to thrive.  It's still early.

« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum

No question, our D has been the problem all season.  But we look good offensively. 

I believe this team will tighten up on the defensive end and our offense will continue to thrive.  It's still early.

I know. We have time to get better. If Lee and Green provide expected energy alongside Sully, we'll be better.
AB's return can only help, too.

« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
I believe the difference between this game and the previous stinkers was PP and KG playing like themselves and team effort in rebounds. Our defense was nothing to be excited about except some nice steals.

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I know. We have time to get better. If Lee and Green provide expected energy alongside Sully, we'll be better.

Somebody kill me because I had to miss the game...

But could the "bad D" be because of the fact that OKC is an amazing defensive team? Did our guys really not improve at all so far?

« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

But could the "bad D" be because of the fact that OKC is an amazing defensive team? Did our guys really not improve at all so far?

This team is like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. I'll definitely take the win over the defending western conference champs though.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum

We still did some poor job here and there defending the pick-and-roll, but at least the effort was there. I can say we definitely did a better job in getting into the passing lanes.

« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Underrated stat of the night: Kevin Martin, who had a string of 20 point performances the past several games, was held to 1-7 with 3 turnovers. Thank you Courtney Lee!

« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens

Westbrook penetrated at will and Ibaka had a party like any big against the c's. There was improvement, though.

« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

This team is like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. I'll definitely take the win over the defending western conference champs though.

I meant offensive team***

I didn't watch it but I've read up on other message boards. No mention of bad D. One mention of good energy on D even.

They do have a guy named Kevin Durant and Ibaka seemed to be beasting. Adding Kevin Martin certainly helps.

Edit: got the answers as I was attempting to post. Nice. Nice nice.

And wow, Kevin Martin with 3 points...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:36:32 PM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Freaky stat of the night...Barbosa has the best +/- on the team tonight.

I don't care what anybody (or the stat sheet) says, he has been fantastic.

He's not known as a defender, but he's playing hard on D every night.  He's not a natural PG but he's doing a great job handling the ball.  When called for he's scored with the best of them.  I expected him to be a scorer, but I never expected him to bring the intangibles. 

Tonight was just an outstanding effort from everbody.  We let it slipe for about 5 or 6 minutes in the 4th quarter, but this is the closest I've seen of "48 minutes of solid basketball" for years.

Even the guys who didn't do well on the stat sheet (Lee, Barbosa, Bass) impressed me with their defense, effort, hustle and work ehthic.  Every single guy on this team played with heart today, and even if we lost I would have been proud of this performance. 

As for the guys criticising Bass - all through the offseason and preseason I was one of the first guys saying Bass is limited, but he played hard tonight.  It's not all about misses and makes - he was playing aggressive on both ends of the floor, and I appreciate that effort. 

My two memories of this game that I cannot shake:

1. The huge smile on Jeff Green's face when he got that fast break layup + 1

2. The huge smile on Terry's face when he hit that dagger

Both of those guys had a look of pride and releif that finally things are coming together.  The look said "we are the Boston Celtics, and this is just the start of things to come". 

Lets hope the look doesn't lie!!

« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Good test for us if we really want to prove we are legit.

I think we match up pretty well with OKC because they don't have any elite bigs offensively, their starring SG is a non factor offensively, and Rondo should he able to match Westbrook point for point if he wants to.

My only worry is Durant - with Pietrus gone we don't really have an athletic, long SF who can put constant defensive pressure on Durant.  This would be a VERY good time for Jeff Green to come to life, as he's probably the only guy  e have with the length and athleticism to match up with Durant.

Lee could be important too - his defense off the bench against Kevin Martin could be a game changer.

Terry and Bass will have a hard time scoring against Sefalosha and Ibaka.  We need Kevin to dominate Perk in this one.

Well, I called it! :D

I had a feeling this one was going to go well.  We actually played hard against the Spurs in the last game and though we lost it in the end, we stuck right with them for 3 1/2 quarters.  That to me was a sign of improvement, even if it wasn't where we wanted to be.

I figured that would give our guys a little confidence, plus we'd get a day off to rest (and go over some plays) and thought we might come our ready to play tonight.

I agree with Tommy - defense was a 100% improvement.  Remember that this doesn't mean the defense was 100%, it just means it was twice as good as it has been so far - and I agree with that.  Still a way's to go but a MASSIVE improvement, and I'd say it was our best defensive game so far.

Special credit to Lee and Green for their DEFENSE.  Despite what he score sheet suggests Green did a really nice job on Durant defensively for much of this game, and Lee played with the type of defensive intesity I have expected from him all along. 

« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Freaky stat of the night...Barbosa has the best +/- on the team tonight.

I don't care what anybody (or the stat sheet) says, he has been fantastic.

He's not known as a defender, but he's playing hard on D every night.  He's not a natural PG but he's doing a great job handling the ball.  When called for he's scored with the best of them.  I expected him to be a scorer, but I never expected him to bring the intangibles. 

Tonight was just an outstanding effort from everbody.  We let it slipe for about 5 or 6 minutes in the 4th quarter, but this is the closest I've seen of "48 minutes of solid basketball" for years.

Even the guys who didn't do well on the stat sheet (Lee, Barbosa, Bass) impressed me with their defense, effort, hustle and work ehthic.  Every single guy on this team played with heart today, and even if we lost I would have been proud of this performance. 

As for the guys criticising Bass - all through the offseason and preseason I was one of the first guys saying Bass is limited, but he played hard tonight.  It's not all about misses and makes - he was playing aggressive on both ends of the floor, and I appreciate that effort. 

My two memories of this game that I cannot shake:

1. The huge smile on Jeff Green's face when he got that fast break layup + 1

2. The huge smile on Terry's face when he hit that dagger

Both of those guys had a look of pride and releif that finally things are coming together.  The look said "we are the Boston Celtics, and this is just the start of things to come". 

Lets hope the look doesn't lie!!

JET was $$$$$$$$$$ tonight. Green did well also. I've always liked Bass partly because I am an LSU homer. I think Sully has potential. Lee? we'll see. I'll leave it up to Danny to trade who he thinks is best for Gortat if that deal indeed happens.
LET'S GO CELTICS!