Author Topic: Small Ball Failure  (Read 5422 times)

Re: Small Ball Failure
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
HEAT have won one title, hardly a great record of a template to win with.   Anyone can win 50 games with LeBron period.

NYC is only small because Amare is out,  they still have a seven footer in Chandler.   Your wrong again, don't you get tired of it?

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
HEAT have won one title, hardly a great record of a template to win with.   Anyone can win 50 games with LeBron period.

NYC is only small because Amare is out,  they still have a seven footer in Chandler.   Your wrong again, don't you get tired of it?

But Amare's always out.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The problem isn't KG. 

KG is big enough to be the Celtics C.  He is talented enough to be the Celtics PF.

The issue are the other BIG MEN.  They all have uses, but none of them can protect the lane. 

And when two of them (or when one of them and Green) are out there, the defense falls apart.  Against good teams in the playoffs, it can be devastating.  It puts to much pressure on KG building lead. 

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The issue are the other BIG MEN.  They all have uses, but none of them can protect the lane. 

This, TP.

Sullinger is not a shot blocker.  Neither is Bass.  Guys who get these guys low if they can shoot over them eat their lunch.   Green is easy for true PF's to back down. 

Big Baby could at least chest up guys and use his bulk to compensate some for his faults.  He also was a wiz at charges.  Bass is a way better shooter than Baby.  Sullinger is a better passer.  Green is more mobile.   But he trumped them all at positional defense.

O'Neal was a shadow of himself but he could clog space.  The present lineup are paper tigers on defense and protecting the lane.  Sully shows some knack for charges and drawing them but that is going to be risky with the refs calling flops.

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't know what it is but you cannot rebound without 2 big guys hitting the boards and I still believe rebounding is very very important.  Sometimes Doc is too stubborn for his own good.

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
there is no small ball in the league. thats why theres no more center designation in the NBA All Star game, because every contender has a prototypical center, right? lol

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No team is going to beat a healthy Heat trying to "small ball" against them. 

I think it is do-able if the team has an elite level wing defender that can harass Lebron sufficiently. Trouble is, Bruce Bowen and James Posey have retired and Metta World Peace is not that guy anymore. Only Tony Allen comes to mind as a possibility now and he is too small to deal with a post up game.
Honestly I'm trying to think who can defend LeBron best in the league.

Pierce and Gerald Wallace come to mind. I'm trying to think of other candidates. Maybe Carmelo if he's engaged during the entire game, but that's not usually how he plays.
Mbah a Moute

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

It's because when Amare is in, NYC isn't a contender anymore.

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The problem isn't KG. 

KG is big enough to be the Celtics C.  He is talented enough to be the Celtics PF.

And when two of them (or when one of them and Green) are out there, the defense falls apart.  Against good teams in the playoffs, it can be devastating.  It puts to much pressure on KG building lead. 
Thank you, this is basically my point. It is devastating and we need to make adjustments by way of trade or rotation change to overcome this. I just dont see a combination of our current bigs or smalls that doesnt include KG being on the floor having the ability to compete with the upper tier teams on a nightly basis.

I know we just beat OKC, but that was a rare exception resulting from a big game by Jeff Green and some uncharacteristic timely jump shooting. We cannot IMO expect this result every nite.

It would help a great deal if we played better perimeter defense (Bradley) and Jeff showed some consistency. We were still outrebounded and without the jumpers/3pters falling we would have likely been toast.

We gotta get back to attacking the basket, rebounding and playing better perimeter D.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I think it is do-able if the team has an elite level wing defender that can harass Lebron sufficiently. Trouble is, Bruce Bowen and James Posey have retired and Metta World Peace is not that guy anymore. Only Tony Allen comes to mind as a possibility now and he is too small to deal with a post up game.

Pierce and Gerald Wallace come to mind. I'm trying to think of other candidates. Maybe Carmelo if he's engaged during the entire game, but that's not usually how he plays.
Mbah a Moute
Havent seen enough of him, but I will take your word for it.

Cant believe I forgot Gerald Wallace and of course we include Pierce. Problem is, Wallace has been on a bad team until this year. Advantage Lebron against Paul also because we rely on PP to be our go to scorer and LBJ stopper. Heavy lifting involved there.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Mbah a Moute
Oh yeah I should have thought of him, he's hurt and not playing probably why he didn't pop to mind.

Shame he never figured out the corner three of the "defensive wing" formula. If he did that they could play him a heck of a lot more.

4 years 18 million dollars, solid contract if he was on a team that could make some noise in the playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
speaking of small ball players.   I could be happy trading LEE off for a center and playing Joseph.