Author Topic: Small Ball Failure  (Read 5431 times)

Small Ball Failure
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
This Celtics team cannot win playing small ball.

As someone else stated in another thread you cannot win with small ball without LBJ level talent

Doc always has and continues to mismanage player rotations when given too many options.

Wilcox/Collins/Sully should be splitting time at Center and KG/Bass should be manning the Power Forward. When KG and Bass both start the 2nd unit interior defense is bad.

Re: Small Ball Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Isn't Sully at center one of the "small ball" lineups we're trying to avoid?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

Isn't Sully at center one of the "small ball" lineups we're trying to avoid?

Yes

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
what do you mean by small ball? 95% of contenders  play a pf at center. the whole league is playing what you call "small ball" but its really normal ball.

i dont want collins taking minutes away from anyone, and i dont want KG out of the center position. your ideas are out of touch with reality.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Ainge is going to have to trade for a big man. Doc is trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Stubborn Head Coach. Ainge going have to take away that option via trade, and force Doc to use regular lineup.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
95% of contenders  play a pf at center. the whole league is playing what you call "small ball"

That being said their bigs are bigger than our bigs or they are more athletic and younger.  When we play small ball we have a smallish 6'9" that isn't athletic and it makes problems even worse.   It is one thing is a smaller guy can compensate for his smallness with athletic ability and another if he can't.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
95% of contenders  play a pf at center. the whole league is playing what you call "small ball"

That being said their bigs are bigger than our bigs or they are more athletic and younger.  When we play small ball we have a smallish 6'9" that isn't athletic and it makes problems even worse.   It is one thing is a smaller guy can compensate for his smallness with athletic ability and another if he can't.
we play a 6'9 guy because he is much more talented and plays better basketball than the 7 footer we have who averages 0.8 pts per game in his career.

what dont you get, its not all about height and size. doc plays our most talented players the most. thats a good choice.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:13:19 PM by lightspeed5 »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
what dont you get, its not all about height and size. doc plays our most talented players the most. thats a good choice.

Dude, it is not working, you don't get it.  He doesn't play C well.   It takes away his strengths.   We are a sub 500 team with the small ball.

Talented PG cannot guard talented C in the post.   So size matters, that is why Joe Blow off the street can't make it in the NBA and why the league drafts tall guys.

Pick your all time small guy team.   Guys under 6'8" and I will take the 6'8" and over guys and my guys would own your guys every time.

Size matters, talent matters.   We don't have bigs with athletic talent.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

Dude, it is not working, you don't get it.  He doesn't play C well.   It takes away his strengths.   We are a sub 500 team with the small ball.

Talented PG cannot guard talented C in the post.   So size matters, that is why Joe Blow off the street can't make it in the NBA and why the league drafts tall guys.

Pick your all time small guy team.   Guys under 6'8" and I will take the 6'8" and over guys and my guys would own your guys every time.

Size matters, talent matters.   We don't have bigs with athletic talent.
KG was a top 4 center last year after the all star break.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Newsflash   KG is 7'1".  That is not small, thanks for making my point for me.   He is listed at 6'11" but he is taller than that.  Either way he is a true legit big and you made my point, thanks!

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

we play a 6'9 guy because he is much more talented and plays better basketball than the 7 footer we have who averages 0.8 pts per game in his career.

As a coach,somtimes you play less talented players because of pure size.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
KG at center is fine.  He may not be able to play major minutes, but he is highly effective in the minutes he does play.

The biggest problem, plain and simple, is Bass/Sully/Green.  Those three combined are flat out undersized, marginal PF's.  Green isn't even a PF, in reality.

The sooner the C's can find a way to ship those three out, the better off they'll be.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Newsflash   KG is 7'1".  That is not small, thanks for making my point for me.   He is listed at 6'11" but he is taller than that.  Either way he is a true legit big and you made my point, thanks!

True, very true. And the team seems to play much better when he is on the court. The problem is that he goes to the bench after 5 minutes on the court. And that seems to be the problem.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

As a coach,somtimes you play less talented players because of pure size.
not in the new speed nba

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
other than HEAT...what the rest of the "REAL" teams have is 1- 2 STRONG Centers.   Spurs having Duncan and Splitter is just not fair.  Chicago had ASIK and Noah,  Bynum and Gasol , on and on...  but there is generally a STRONG center.  Even the HEAT have BOSH who is 6'11 . Our only decent  BIG is 36 years old ., he needs HELP!!!

Can't throw Sully , Green , Bass up against the 7 ft er's that are good and expect to come out on top , at least in series it an't happening.  SUre the jump shot , might luck out and fall occasionally.

The team is BUILT WRONG,  I wanted the C's to take TWO centers in the draft.

I really don't think Josh Smith is the answer...totally ., he'd help ...but this team still needs an ACTIVE guy like NOAH or Verajao or a BIG man like MArk Gasol to be the center piece.

Doc is never gonna win anther banner without a good center and PF to add to ROndo and Bradley.

We are getting murdered inside, no rebounds , no defense,   COusins and Gortat would  be a start.