Author Topic: Lee and Green = $60 mil of garbage  (Read 16559 times)

Re: Lee and Green = $60 mil of garbage
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought Lee played about as well as could be hoped tonight. Especially without Rondo, where he often had to bring the ball up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:56 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
yes - jeff green got his chest cut open... you know who else got their chest cut open more recently? chris wilcox. and is chris wilcox playing badly? no! he's playing like an absolute champ.  it's not the surgery that's green's problem.

it's just that he's been overrated his whole career, and now he's getting 22mins a game, and he's giving you 22 mins of what he used to give okc 35 mins a game of. same player. do the math: 15 points in 35 mins gives you about 9 points in 22 mins - exactly what he's giving us. 6 rebounds every 35 mins = 3.5 every 22 mins.

close enough. jeff's fully healthy. but i feel sorry for him, because i think this will be the year that he realises he's actually not a very good basketball player. never has been.

i truly dont mean any disrespect to jeff when i say this. i want him to do well, but he is a perpetual cavs vs celtics game 5 lebron... waiting for him to show up and he never does.

but you cant blame him. danny's the one that gave him the contract. it's danny's fault.  but i feel like there's something danny knows that we dont because danny is usually very stingy with his money. he paid rondo 11 mill. he gave bass 6 mill, when his stats per game were actually identical (actually better) that greens and green coming off of heart surgery gets 9 mill??? he gave jermaine a former all star 6 mill... he gave courtney 5 mill, and courtney played better than jeff per 36 mins...

somethings not right there. someone else on celtics blog said it once, and i think it's the only reasonable explanation:  danny knows full well that jeff isn't a good player. but he thinks that other gms think jeff is a good player... and jeffs 9 mill contract is very handy filler when trading for a guy who has a fairly big contract - say al jefferson... danny took a gamble that eventually another gm will themselves take a gamble on jeff green as part of a trade package to land another big name player.

as far as courtney lee goes, im not really that disappointed with him as of yet. he's just in a shooting slump as far as i can see. he still plays very good defense, he still runs around completely energetic, and has a drive and will to win... which unfortunately jeff does not have... and you cant really teach that stuff.

jeff is playing a little bit worse than he's always played but he's really not that far off from his peak. doubt me all you want... you guys will come around who say jeff will eventually get better. you're probably the same guys who thought avery would never be any good or sullinger shouldnt have been taken by danny... you guys will come around :)

P.S:  i want jeff to do well. i really do. i wish him the best, but im being real with you other bloggers - waiting for jeff to turn into a guy who can even average 15 points 5 rebound a game in 22 mins throughout the season is like waiting for shawn bradley to turn into shaq.

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Lee 4pts , 4 rebs
green 2 pts, 0 rebs

I know both were shaken up in the game, but this is getting real old quick
I can't wait till Bradley comes back and we start putting on a clinic defensively, the offense will come easy then
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am terribly disappointed in what I have seen from Courtney Lee.  But I also shouldn't be surprised.

This is Lee's 4th team in his 5th season in the league.  If he was a reliable player, it is hard to see how so many teams would let him go so early in his career.  Maybe he will be a late bloomer, but I don't know.

I see his qualities: he's quick, athletic, he can play solid defense and is a decent scorer off the dribble.  There's something missing with him though.  I think it is either confidence or aggressiveness.

Jeff Green is simply a victim of playing behind Pierce right now - we'd get much more from him as a starter but that is not happening this year.

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Neither has a motor, especially green.

How bout i cut your chest open, stick crap in your heart and see how you have a motor after it, sound good????

Yes Jeff Green hasnt played to his contract atm, its 10 games into the season and the kid didnt play last year, give him time. Far out!

Jeff Green's style of play and skill level were pretty similar before the heart surgery.  I'm not buying it.

yes - jeff green got his chest cut open... you know who else got their chest cut open more recently? chris wilcox. and is chris wilcox playing badly? no! he's playing like an absolute champ.  it's not the surgery that's green's problem.

it's just that he's been overrated his whole career, and now he's getting 22mins a game, and he's giving you 22 mins of what he used to give okc 35 mins a game of.
same player. do the math: 15 points in 35 mins gives you about 9 points in 22 mins - exactly what he's giving us. 6 rebounds every 35 mins = 3.5 every 22 mins.

close enough. jeff's fully healthy. but i feel sorry for him, because i think this will be the year that he realises he's actually not a very good basketball player. never has been.

i truly dont mean any disrespect to jeff when i say this. i want him to do well, but he is a perpetual cavs vs celtics game 5 lebron... waiting for him to show up and he never does.

but you cant blame him. danny's the one that gave him the contract. it's danny's fault.  but i feel like there's something danny knows that we dont because danny is usually very stingy with his money. he paid rondo 11 mill. he gave bass 6 mill, when his stats per game were actually identical (actually better) that greens and green coming off of heart surgery gets 9 mill??? he gave jermaine a former all star 6 mill... he gave courtney 5 mill, and courtney played better than jeff per 36 mins...

somethings not right there. someone else on celtics blog said it once, and i think it's the only reasonable explanation:  danny knows full well that jeff isn't a good player. but he thinks that other gms think jeff is a good player... and jeffs 9 mill contract is very handy filler when trading for a guy who has a fairly big contract - say al jefferson... danny took a gamble that eventually another gm will themselves take a gamble on jeff green as part of a trade package to land another big name player.

as far as courtney lee goes, im not really that disappointed with him as of yet. he's just in a shooting slump as far as i can see. he still plays very good defense, he still runs around completely energetic, and has a drive and will to win... which unfortunately jeff does not have... and you cant really teach that stuff.

jeff is playing a little bit worse than he's always played but he's really not that far off from his peak. doubt me all you want... you guys will come around who say jeff will eventually get better. you're probably the same guys who thought avery would never be any good or sullinger shouldnt have been taken by danny... you guys will come around :)

P.S:  i want jeff to do well. i really do. i wish him the best, but im being real with you other bloggers - waiting for jeff to turn into a guy who can even average 15 points 5 rebound a game in 22 mins throughout the season is like waiting for shawn bradley to turn into shaq.

Exactly.  He's pretty much the same as he ever was.  I think those waiting for him to become a superstar thinking recent heart surgery is holding him back are going to be waiting until he retires.  It isn't going to happen.  Jeff Green is Jeff Green.

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Jeff green has become the new celticsblog whipping boy when the team plays a poor game.

Last year I think it was Dooling that copped it.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
they are under utilized so this is expected, i put the blame also on doc

I am on board with this big time. JG needs 30 to 35 minutes a game to be effective and get his rhythm. He is not going to get this on this team, especially with Pierce still around. I think Green is a great player but he is never going to be a great impact reserve.

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love how last night Green played 16 minutes, was 1 for 3 with 2 points, a block...and NO OTHER STAT!

Wilcox was sick. Played 7 minutes. Was 2 for 2 with 4 points, 3 rebounds, and a block.

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A bench of Barbosa, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and say Wilcox should be a strength.
This. 
that list of players off the bench should have been what put the C's at the top of the pile in the NBA.  This team should have been able to give ample rest for the starters because each of these guys should be able to provide respectable productivity when put into the game.  The one glaring issue is there's no real shotblocker/defending big man off the bench.  Darko would have helped but that's a no-go.  Collins is just a big body that doesn't do much except be big.

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This. 
that list of players off the bench should have been what put the C's at the top of the pile in the NBA.  This team should have been able to give ample rest for the starters because each of these guys should be able to provide respectable productivity when put into the game.  The one glaring issue is there's no real shotblocker/defending big man off the bench.  Darko would have helped but that's a no-go.  Collins is just a big body that doesn't do much except be big.
benches don't matter if your starting roster is sub par.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
This. 
benches don't matter if your starting roster is sub par.

yup,  when Pierce, Bass , JET all go cold at once , we are back to square one ... LIKE SIR CHARLES says ...got to have somebody who can  "HIT A SHOT" ...can't win if the crowd is shooting 1-6 , 2-8 , 2-7 , and all that...the team digs itself a hole and game over.

If the starters aren'r all scoring 15 points , then who is gonna score the rest. It starts with the starters , they have to put up the numbers and the bench finishes the deal., with about half the starters points.

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Lee has been exactly what they paid for.  He just hasn't been more than that.  He is a feisty defender and competitor, who can finish on the break, and occasionally give you something on offense.

Now, he needs to start hitting the three pointers, but I think those will start falling eventually, but otherwise, he has been good, and pretty much what you would expect from an MLE player...especially one who plays every day and is still young (older and injury prone guys, will give you more when they are on the court, but aren't as reliable).

But yeah, Green has been a huge disappointment.  I think Doc needs to work harder to force the issue offensively with both Green and Terry.  They both need more plays run for them, because their only value is on offense, and it doesn't do much good having them sit on the weakside watching the play.

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Jeff green has become the new celticsblog whipping boy when the team plays a poor game.

Except that a league minimum whipping boy is a lot more cost effective than a $9 million whipping boy.

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Except that a league minimum whipping boy is a lot more cost effective than a $9 million whipping boy.

"OUTLAW" Jeff Green has held up the Celtics Stage Coach and ran off with 36 million .

he and his agent flat out pulled the wool over Danny's eyes . 

Looking at Green is like looking a Ferrari . He is a awesome physical specimen and you'd think he could play like LBJ.  Danny was sucked in bad and bought the Ferrari body with NO ENGINE.... and NOW it doesn't start ...with NOTHING under the hood !!  What a JOKE.

Celtics are stuck with a  GARAGE QUEEN .     

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
In case anyone hasn't noticed, Jason Terry is only playing a bit better than Lee and Green.  And it's not like we haven't seen other players have the same sort of struggles as Lee and Green when they get to the Celtics.

While the individual players obviously bear some responsibility, when you see the same problems over and over with different people, then what you've got is a systemic problem.  Doc runs an overly complicated offense and an overly complicated defense.  When they work, they look great.  But the offense is basically designed to get guys open jump shots off set plays.  When they're not hitting those shots, it implodes.  The play-calling, either by Doc or Rondo, also gets totally fixated at times on getting certain guys the ball in certain situations, rather than a more free-flowing offense where everybody's moving and anyone can take the shot.  The defense utilizes so much switching and rotating that guys are constantly being put in poor rebounding position.

And in particular...why in the world are we running the same exact plays for JET that we ran for Ray?  Shouldn't those plays have been retired, since their inability to work has been one of the offense's biggest problems the last few years?

Mike