Author Topic: Bench Sully and Get Kenyon Martin  (Read 2290 times)

Re: Bench Sully and Get Kenyon Martin
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
2 words. Hell No.
Ive seen a lot of dumb stuff since i started hitting up the celtics sites today.
why are you quoting and talking to yourself?! lol

hahahahaha

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sullinger so far has been a better rebounder than Martn was last year. He also has scored more efficiently and been a better jump shooter.

Defensively I'm sure Martin would be better, but given the results I'd rather give Sullinger a chance to develop.

Thats what I am saying, he needs to be the man for a while and develop post game and learn to finish over taller and stronger defenders. He is got a nice jumper, but I am not comfortable to put him out there if his offensive game cannot offset defensive liability at least to some degree
Why do you think he'd be better developing in Maine than in actual NBA games?

Its not like he'll be facing too many stronger/longer defenders in the d-league.

U need to find ur confidence and some go-to moves, which NBA games do not allow u to cuz u r not the man and have to be disciplined. He also needs to work on boxing out and better positioning himself in offense. D-league coaches work with u day in and day out, and prolly spend most of the time with Sully cuz he is the team prospect.

Sullinger has plenty of confidence. The fact that Doc even trusts him as a rookie in the first month of the season to play significant minutes means a lot. This kid has talent and knows the game almost like a vet already. Sending him to the D-league would be a huge waste. He's already our best rebounder, and he's been a very productive player on offense. He's also played fairly well on defense when he's not asked to play center.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He had some moments, but he cannot defend anyone because of his size right now and really hurting the team.
Well, if your idea is sending him to Maine to work on his size, I'm afraid there will be very little in terms of improvement  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Jared Sullinger is nice kid, and is learning ins and outs. He had some moments, but he cannot defend anyone because of his size right now and really hurting the team. His +/- stats is.... He cannot get his shot off on the offensive end on the likes of Jason Maxille and Kwame Brown. Send him to Maine and he will develop.

Sully is shooting 73% at the rim, a very good mark for a guy that you claim is too short to get his shot off.  Dwight Howard as a rookie finished at the rim at a 64% rate, for example.  Sully is converting a higher percentage of his inside shots than KG, who is one of the longest players  in the league.

I don't think Sully is hurting the team all that much.  he's been very solid,  displaying a high IQ and a good motor.  I thought he would struggle getting off his shot at the rim, but he's converting those shots well, a great sign for a rookie.  His mid-range game is weak, sub 40%, but should improve once he figures out what shots to take.  He's hit all his FTs too.

Defensively, Sully competes.  The refs haven't been giving the rookie any leeway, which is expected, but Sully should improve as he gets more seasoning. I'm disappointing at his rebounding, but he's certainly not any worse than the rest of the boxoutaphobics on the Celtics. 

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He had some moments, but he cannot defend anyone because of his size right now and really hurting the team.
Well, if your idea is sending him to Maine to work on his size, I'm afraid there will be very little in terms of improvement  ;D

Hilarious.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's already our best rebounder not named Kevin
Fixed that for you.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
sully is only getting better all around, and can be a go to scorer this year. He could hit for 20 points any time doc called on him to do so. Sully and km are on different trajectories, and have already passed each other.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Offline Professor of Rondology

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 19
U need to find ur confidence and some go-to moves, which NBA games do not allow u to cuz u r not the man and have to be disciplined. He also needs to work on boxing out and better positioning himself in offense. D-league coaches work with u day in and day out, and prolly spend most of the time with Sully cuz he is the team prospect.
Sully's been a go-to guy for his entire life.  This is literally the first time he's ever been asked to be a complementary player.  He has the tools, he just needs to learn to use them against NBA players.  Going down to the D League would be counter-productive.

On Sully's defense...
At the beginning of last season, Brandon Bass was a defensive liability at times; fast forward to the end of the season and he was solid (if not good) on the defensive end.  Learning a defensive system takes time, developing chemistry takes time- even veterans need time to feel out a system.
Sully has shown me everything I could have hoped for so far.  He's not a good defender right now, but sending him down to the D league will NOT help him learn the Celtics defense or help him adjust to defending players that are bigger, stronger, longer and faster.  The only thing that will help him improve is playing more NBA minutes against NBA bigs, and thankfully Doc continues to give him plenty of PT.