Author Topic: NCAA player Jack Taylor scores 138 points  (Read 8484 times)

Re: NCAA player Jack Taylor scores 138 points
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Box score for anybody too lazy to search for it:
http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2012-13/box_scores/20121120_genl.xml

Grinnell goes 20 deep I guess.

Kind of crazy, but kind of cool.  Everybody is talking about how many shots he took, how he didn’t have any assists, but I think that’s just looking at things the wrong way.

The top 3 D3 record holders for points in a game, all from Grinnell College:

Jack Taylor, Grinnell College, 138 points (2012)
Griffin Lentsch, Grinnell College, 88 points (2011)
Jeff Clement, Grinnell College, 77 points (1998)

Grinnell pretty much always leads the nation in scoring.

I guess there’s certain games every year when he coach says let’s get Player X the ball, and everybody is cool with it.  They did it for Griffin Lentsch last year and he got 88, but yesterday he got only 7.  Other players will get their turns too.

So I wouldn’t label Jack Taylor as selfish or a ballhog, or look down on him because he didn’t have any assists or took a lot of shots.  It’s just the way Grinnell plays. I wouldn't mind being part of a system like that.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow that is absolutely absurd... He took 71 threes in the game! That is ridiculous. Also note one guy on the other team had 70.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Box score for anybody too lazy to search for it:
http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2012-13/box_scores/20121120_genl.xml

Grinnell goes 20 deep I guess.

Kind of crazy, but kind of cool.  Everybody is talking about how many shots he took, how he didn’t have any assists, but I think that’s just looking at things the wrong way.

The top 3 D3 record holders for points in a game, all from Grinnell College:

Jack Taylor, Grinnell College, 138 points (2012)
Griffin Lentsch, Grinnell College, 88 points (2011)
Jeff Clement, Grinnell College, 77 points (1998)

Grinnell pretty much always leads the nation in scoring.

I guess there’s certain games every year when he coach says let’s get Player X the ball, and everybody is cool with it.  They did it for Griffin Lentsch last year and he got 88, but yesterday he got only 7.  Other players will get their turns too.

So I wouldn’t label Jack Taylor as selfish or a ballhog, or look down on him because he didn’t have any assists or took a lot of shots.  It’s just the way Grinnell plays. I wouldn't mind being part of a system like that.
But you almost have to say the other guy was equally impressive scoring 70 on 34-44.  That's much harder to do, not everybody could pull it off, whereas most of the guys capable of making an NCAA roster could boast equal or even more unbelievable numbers if they got off 108 shots and 71 3 point opportunities.

It's not a story of Jack Taylor's or even Grinnell's offense.  It was a game that didn't count, so they weren't really playing.  They had TWO guys with 15!! or more TOs, 49 total.  If anything people should be talking about Grinnell's defense, as they managed 54 more shots than the other team.  And who knows if you can even give them props for that, seeing as they only had 29 steals out of the 49 TOs.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm more interested in Tyler Betz and Eric Young who had 15 and 16 TO respectively