Author Topic: Would you give Andrew Bynum a max deal?  (Read 10767 times)

Re: Would you give Andrew Bynum a max deal?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Would I have given him max money earlier on in his career? Yes. Would I now? No.

He's on the Amare Stoudemire trajectory, at this point.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:34:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Can you make contracts contingent on health?

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The only player worthy of a max deal in the NBA (if you read Celtics Blog) is Avery Bradley ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
No...  I would try like heck to trade him, though. 

Jermaine O'Neal 2.0:  Allstar talent, geriatric league body.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd rather give a max deal to Amare - he's less injury prone.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I've never been a big Bynum fan. All he ever did in LA was stand under the hoop with his arms up in the air.  He was a third or fourth banana.

I was interested to see if he can carry a team as the man in Philly, but will have to wait a few more months for that.  I'm guessing that he doesn't have enough fire for the game to thrive in the #1 role, and doesn't have the temperment to handle it in a sports town full of critics like Philly. 

The was the league works, if Philly doesn't max out Bynum, there will be plenty of suitors dying to give him max money, despite the knee troubles.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20121119/SPORTS03/121118014/Exclusive-Evidence-shows-76ers-Bynum-likely-out-season?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

One internationally respected orthopedic surgeon, who is not involved with Bynum’s treatment and has not seen his MRIs, told The News Journal that all of the information that has been released by the player and the Sixers points to a likely diagnosis of osteochondritis dessicans lesions. The surgeon said that if this is the case, there’s a small chance that Bynum’s knees could heal sufficiently on their own in time for him to return for the playoffs this season, but called that scenario “wishing on a star.”

“While they can heal non-operatively, they can take a long time [four to six months] to heal, and in adult athletes, frequently they will require surgical intervention at some point if there isn’t adequate healing within the first several months of treatment,” the surgeon said.

He added that if the 25-year-old returns to the court too early and the lesions become large enough, the condition could become career threatening. The surgeon spoke on condition of anonymity because Bynum is not his patient, but this probable diagnosis, given the player’s symptoms and treatment thus far, is backed up by reams of medical literature.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Never in a million years.  There are usually certain guys worth taking the gamble on, in my opinion Bynum is not one.  Maybe I'll give him 2nd best center when healthy, but he's no where near Dwight and could never be the #1 guy on a contender.  He'll go to a horrible team for the max and just end up being one of those guys unless one day he gets traded.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I feel this is a very appropriate time to bump this thread.

Seriously, season-ending surgery...again? What in the world does Philly do? Do you keep him and hope he signs a short deal packed with ways for Philly to cut him? Take the cap space and go elsewhere, like a Josh Smith? Or just hang on to it?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Dude most likely will never play a single healthy season again. It would be downright idiotic to give him a max deal.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
i wouldn't give him a handshake....he has TWO worn out knees that need replacement like 80 year old men have done....... there is NO LUBRICATE in his knee, its bone on bone and they are worn out.....period ...they is no miracle stem cell fix yet....... he has had injection with the lakers or lub to make his knee operate...it is a temp fix and this may not even be possible , if the joints are slap worn out.

the whole medical staff and laywers for letting Philly do this deal should be fired.

At the monent , REPLACEMENT KNEE joints is the only way the dude can be even be a normal guy half way , much less play any type of basketball.

He is finished .......has millions in the bank ....and now cripple for the the rest of his life. The lakers justed him up like a rag doll and dumped him ... a man that needs to total knee replacements,

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Probably not.

I would be tempted because if healthy, he's arguably the best center in the league.

However, I just don't think Bynum will ever be healthy nor does it seem like he really has the desire to continue having a successful career.

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Would I have given him max money earlier on in his career? Yes. Would I now? No.

He's on the Amare Stoudemire trajectory, at this point.

At least he wishes he was.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No...  I would try like heck to trade him, though. 

Jermaine O'Neal 2.0:  Allstar talent, geriatric league body.
Jermaine O'Neal had a healthy 5 continous years play where he only missed a few games.

Bynum's only had two, and they were separated by a ton of injuries and years.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Greg Oden's legs with Marc Blount's heart. Stay away from this kid.