Author Topic: Would you give Andrew Bynum a max deal?  (Read 10761 times)

Would you give Andrew Bynum a max deal?
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
It seems almost a forgone conclusion he's going to get the max, some desperate team will throw the money at him. Im glad the celtics don't have ample cap space to make a large free agent splash.

Maybe he can prove me wrong but I think whoever gets him is going to regret it down the road.

Is he Greg Oden 2.0 or am I wrong?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Would you give Andrew Bynum a max deal?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i think he is a headcase but definitely max money worthy. Beside Howard I would say Bynum is probably #2 center in the league. So yes, I would offer him a max deal

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Dominant player when healthy, but, I personally would pass on giving him the max, only because of his potential to miss nearly every second season.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
With the knees he has, needing injections that they give to 90 year old's so they can live another year before knee replacement, no way. He's not going to last more than another season or two.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
i think he is a headcase but definitely max money worthy. Beside Howard I would say Bynum is probably #2 center in the league. So yes, I would offer him a max deal

When healthy I might even put him over D12 but the kid has knee issues way too much for a max deal imo
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No.   Damaged goods.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
H, E, Double hockey stick no to the maaaax

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Only if he cuts his hair first.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
His play is pretty much max worthy, but you don't pay a guy max money to play in only half your games.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
For an average NBA team, no.  It's too much to risk.

If the C's had cap room this summer (which they won't), I'd consider it only because pairing Rondo, Bynum, and this core together would make the C's the best team in the NBA.  And that might be worth the risk. 

However, since that's not reality, no. 

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Here is the perfect reason why I wouldnt give him one.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/former-andrew-bynum-teammate-says-no-other-nba-player-likes-basketball-less/

“I started investigating [the bowling] a little bit,” Twersky said. “And one of the people that I hit, a guy who has played with him before, he texted me back and said ‘I don’t know if that’s true [the bowling], but I do know that I’ve never met another player in the league who likes basketball less [than Bynum].”

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No! Health and mindset.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So difficult....

Of all the people who get a max deal, his play is one of the few who actually deserve it.

But he just can't be counted on to be healthy.  If he is given the max, there is a greater than 50% chance he will turn into another McGrady, Yao, Redd, Amare, Brandon Roy...  A star player who was worth the money but injuries turned the contract into one of biggest handicaps in the league.  Then there is a less than 50 % chance that he simply lives up to the value of this contract.  There is 0% chance of him exceeding the value of a max contract.

Someone will give him the max and they will very likely regret it down the road.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
There was word he went bungee jumping when he was with the lakers.

Now I'm no expert, but if you use the leg tether when you bungee jump, you're probably going to put a whole of stress on your knee joints when the bungee flexes.

Probably not the best thing to do if you have dodgy knees. And if he did do it, then he clearly doesn't care much about the people that are investing time and money into the health of his joints.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's interesting because the point of constructing a team is to win a title. KG, for example, made in his time with the C's what would in this CBA basically be more than a max contract and the C's won 1 title that I wouldn't really trade anything for. So I could see giving Bynum the max simply because if he is healthy at the right time for a couple of those seasons, he is one of the few players that could bring a team a title if he's playing at his peak for the playoffs. If he missed one full season, played 50 percent of two, and played one full season and the latter half of another with one title, that would pretty much be worth a max deal, probably more likely to win a title than paying a guy with 75% of Bynum's ability but 100% health the same amount for the same period of time, simply because you need to be extraordinarily good for 1 season to win a title.