Author Topic: KG is Still our MVP  (Read 4761 times)

Re: KG is Still our MVP
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Rondo is our best player, plain and simple.  He's also considered, league wide not just among Celtics' fans, to be a legitimate LEAGUE MVP.

I would like to find a person outside of Celtics fans who consider Rondo to be a legitimate league MVP contender.

I'm sure the number would be higher than the number of people who think that KG would be an MVP candidate, but you're just arguing semantics. How high up in the voting do you have to finish to be a contender? How likely does your finishing there have to be to be considered legitimate? If people think he's a dark horse candidate does that fit the bill?

I agree with you that the number would be higher (and should be). At this point in his career, KG is a borderline All Star, let alone an MVP candidate.

I think, charitably, Rondo is a "dark horse candidate"...but even that's a stretch.

How bout the NBA?

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

ESPN has him 8th on thier list.

Brandon Jennings is right there with Rondo on that list. I'm just not sure there are many NBA fans that think Jennings is a legitimate NBA MVP candidate, same with Rondo.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
The notion that KG is MVP of this team is either ridiculous or shows the poor state of the team now (or both). Garnett barely plays more than half the game. Half. In 28 minutes, he's averaging 15/7. Is he even an All Star this year?

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The Boston Celtics are significantly better on defense with Kevin Garnett on the floor.

The Celtics allow 94.6 points per 100 possessions when Garnett plays and 114.2 when he is on the bench.

The 19.6 point gap runs the spectrum from a defense amongst the NBA's best to worst.
Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Gotta hand it to KG.  He's still unquestionably the MVP of this team.  We only go as far as KG takes us.  Rondo is great at quarterbacking, but this team isn't a contender without KG playing like KG.  We were below .500 for much of last season until KG flipped a switch sometime in February and carried us on his back to the ECF.  He was a vintage 20 and 10 player and the epicenter of our defense.   The above numbers point to that, but it makes sense... this team is lacking in quality bigs.  We haven't been the same since we traded Perk and Shaq hobbled off the court.  You can stick a Big Baby, Bass or SUlly next to KG and they might get some stats, but we'd be far better off with another strong defensive big giving KG some help. 

If we once again overachieve this year by shocking the Horford-less Hawks and 8th seed 76ers in the playoffs... it will mainly be because of Kevin Garnett.

You're right about KG, but we aren't a contender without Rondo playing like Rondo. You need to give him more credit-he's not just a great quarterback, he's our most potent offensive weapon. Think about last years playoffs. KG was amazing. But who was better? KG or Rondo?

Simple answer is that without Rondo or KG, we are toast.
Our most potent offensive weapon is Paul Pierce.  KG is our best player.  Rondo is super good at getting assists.  That streak don't lie.  The man sure can pass to shooters like only a handful of players in this league are capable of.  I'm just saying KG is our MVP even at his advanced age.

Fwiw, I was shocked we recently lost that game with Rondo sitting out.  Historically we have won games when Rondo sat.  Not because Rondo makes us worse... it's just that players like Paul Pierce have a tendency to step up when he's out.  Our scorers still manage to put the ball in the hoop even when it's not Rondo passing to them.   Probably a fluke, though.  It's a small sample size.

Hahahaha everything you said is laughable. We also were unbeatable without kg in 2007 and Brian scalabrine starting...in 2009 we were a game from the conference finals without kg playing a minute. Paul pierce being our best offensives weapon? Is this just a schtick tying to irks rondo honks ...no one around the league agrees

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
The notion that KG is MVP of this team is either ridiculous or shows the poor state of the team now (or both). Garnett barely plays more than half the game. Half. In 28 minutes, he's averaging 15/7. Is he even an All Star this year?

Those 3 rebounds and getting annihilated by the spurs bigs didn't sell you on kgs Mvp candidacy?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:52:11 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I hate arguments about all-star teams (and mvps, truth be told) but I'd say KG's probably going to make the all-star team.

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

I hate arguments about all-star teams (and mvps, truth be told) but I'd say KG's probably going to make the all-star team.

Agreed.  Also I think from last season it's pretty clear cut that KG is our MVP.  With that said, KG didn't really step up til the all-star break last year.  I wouldn't expect him to step his game until then this year as well.  He can't handle a full 82 game schedule at the elite level anymore. 
do it

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Agreed.  Also I think from last season it's pretty clear cut that KG is our MVP.  With that said, KG didn't really step up til the all-star break last year.  I wouldn't expect him to step his game until then this year as well.  He can't handle a full 82 game schedule at the elite level anymore.

Only KG could be let off the hook and be called an MVP for not showing up until after all star break.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Again, you'd have to decide whether MVP means most indispensable due to the makeup of the roster or best player. KG's probably one but not the other.