Author Topic: Players who can attack the rim.  (Read 3725 times)

Players who can attack the rim.
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
We really do not have one and in today's NBA it seems you have to have at least one to win. Pierce is too old and was never that kind of player, Rondo is afraid of getting fouled because of his suspect foul shooting and Jeff Green just does not have the toughness or attacking mentality to go the bucket consistently. This lack of creating shots worries me more than the rebounding. We have stunk at rebounding for years now and seem to muddle through. This inability to create off the dribble will be our undoing. I would love to see if we could pry Tyreke Evans from the Kings. I think he could turn his career around here big time.

Re: Players who can attack the rim.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline Big Rondo

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 37
No credit to Leandro Barbosa, huh?

Rondo will attack the rim come playoff time too.

It would be nice to have a forward who was as aggressive as our guards but we're stuck with Jeff Green. It is what it is.
Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, Rebounds win championships.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Terrence Williams.

We are kind of loaded in that position though.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'd be pretty furious to see Tyreke Evans on this team.

I think w/ Rondo there's an obsession with acquiring athletic players, because of how beautiful and cool the transition alley oop dunks are. But I think at the end of the day, these opportunities are few and far in between, and if you really want to build a team around Rondo you build just as Danny has had, by surrounding him with shooters.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo is an elite player at creating off the dribble and getting in the lane.  No he doesn't look to finish himself very often, but he does draw trips to the line  by dishing off to others.  Pierce is still better than he's given credit for.  He's not physically as explosive as he used to be, but he's still very, very good at getting in the paint off the dribble.

When you have two guys who can get in the lane and make stuff happen at the level of Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo, this is not a major concern for the team. 

Speaking of needing a premier dribble driver to win, I refer you to the 2011 Mavericks. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Yes, the Mavericks did not have a dribble driver but they had players who could post up. Which is another issue we have, honestly. The team just seems stuck in an uncomfortable transition phase. There seems to be two teams out on the floor fighting over the identity of the Celtics. I still maintain a player who can really finish would help us tremendously as all the current players are unable to do so consistently.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We have plenty of players who can attack the rim. The problem is that they're not being involved in our offense. Something has to give so we can start the ball movement that has always been our main strength, instead of relying on Rondo to make that good pass that will lead to a basket, it just doesn't work in a consistent basis.

If we should remain as we are, then Rondo needs to step up his game particularly in attacking the defense, I feel he's being too passive offensively, which is sad since he's doing a lot of things very well this year.

If Rondo wants to lead, he should lead... and it starts by setting the pace of the game, and he's being a reluctant runner.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We have plenty of players who can attack the rim. The problem is that they're not being involved in our offense. Something has to give so we can start the ball movement that has always been our main strength, instead of relying on Rondo to make that good pass that will lead to a basket, it just doesn't work in a consistent basis.

If we should remain as we are, then Rondo needs to step up his game particularly in attacking the defense, I feel he's being too passive offensively, which is sad since he's doing a lot of things very well this year.

If Rondo wants to lead, he should lead... and it starts by setting the pace of the game, and he's being a reluctant runner.

Agreed. I want to see a more aggressive Rondo when it comes to looking to score. When he constantly attacks he is at his best and so are we.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

In terms of getting to the rim, Rondo gets 7+ fga/game at the rim in the playoffs, which would probably put him among the league leaders. But this year the team's 13th in the league in terms of %fga taken at the rim, up from 22% last year. Comparing other top teams to our being 13th in the league, OKC and the Spurs are 11th and 12th and the Heat are 24th.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We havent had one in years and it is really a shame. Having players with an above the rim game is an underrated piece of the game. It helps with rebounds, offense, defense and really can jack your team up with some great momentum. The Celtics have been lacking that athleticism above the rim for many years. Hopefully Green can turn into this type of player and we can maybe pair him alongside Josh Smith in the near future.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Off-topic, but how is it possible that Ray Allen is averaging more FTA per game in Miami than he did the last 2 years in Boston? This is despite him playing 10 less MPG than he did in 2010-11, with 5 fewer FGA per game, and playing 8 less MPG than he did last year, with 3 fewer FGA per game.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Pierce is too old and never was that kind of player?

He's currently 6th in the nba in FTA per game.  Last year he was 19th in the NBA.

Am I missing something here?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
well, Lee, jeff green and barbosa are all guys who have speed and can attack the basket..problem is only barbosa will attack of them, and when he's not on he isnt effective.

But, I think doc needs to run more plays specifically to get Lee/Green involved instead of having them stand around "stretching the floor" and running a million screens for pierce jumpers.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
well, Lee, jeff green and barbosa are all guys who have speed and can attack the basket..problem is only barbosa will attack of them, and when he's not on he isnt effective.

But, I think doc needs to run more plays specifically to get Lee/Green involved instead of having them stand around "stretching the floor" and running a million screens for pierce jumpers.

Agree.  Green's limitation on the drive is ball handling; it would help to get him the ball in some of Paul's favorite spots where he's only one bounce away from the lane...Tommy's famous "one dribble drive."

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
We really do not have one and in today's NBA it seems you have to have at least one to win. Pierce is too old and was never that kind of player, Rondo is afraid of getting fouled because of his suspect foul shooting and Jeff Green just does not have the toughness or attacking mentality to go the bucket consistently. This lack of creating shots worries me more than the rebounding. We have stunk at rebounding for years now and seem to muddle through. This inability to create off the dribble will be our undoing. I would love to see if we could pry Tyreke Evans from the Kings. I think he could turn his career around here big time.

????  we have PP, Rondo, Green and Leandro. 4 guys who can attack the rim.

we have guys who can run in transition also now.

We do need more to post up though. And yes we may have to get  a big man who can do that consistently.
LET'S GO CELTICS!