Author Topic: Celts Vets lobbying for kenyon martin  (Read 5101 times)

Re: Celts Vets lobbying for kenyon martin
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Martin played aggressive defense last year sure, but did he play good defense? He can't rebound or score anymore certainly.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think Martin is done.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is a win win for everybody if it happens. We sign Martin to a vet min, if he rides the pine...So what? If he plays 10 minutes a game, awesome he'll be perfect, if he plays well enough to get 20+ even better. Id consider this a no risk only reward type signing.

He would be great in the locker room, has been heavily playoff tested, and is a great defender who will probably be even better alongside KG.

Also, if we end up making a bigger trade that involves Bass or Sully, Martin would be great insurance for us. Like someone said, he wants to play anywhere and is desperate, so he will probably be playing with a chip on his shoulder and give us some incredible intensity.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Martin played aggressive defense last year sure, but did he play good defense? He can't rebound or score anymore certainly.

I wouldn't say he CAN'T rebound..he averaged 4 rebs per 20 minutes lol
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kenyon Martin's rebounding rate for last season and for his career is around the same as that of Brandon Bass.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

The Boston veterans are not good GM's
starbury wasnt horrible  on our team lol

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Curious, what does Martin bring that Wilcox doesn't?

I think Martin is a bit more dynamic on the offensive end, can play perimeter defense a bit better, and has a "don't F with me" edge that this team sorely needs outside of KG.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Correct, he was beyond horrible.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If we can't add Josh Smith one day/ or found to be impossible...

Then,We need a real center , such as Gortat, and maybe add a rebounder  such as Paul Milsap. :)

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd say for all intents and purposes, Martin is a center as well.  He doesn't quite have the size we'd like, but unlike some of the other power forwards we have on this team masquerading as centers, he's actually a shotblocking threat.  So even as an undersized 5, we should be able to keep up the defensive intensity with KG out. 

And the chance of that happening makes any risk of signing him worthwhile (though a minimum deal is hardly a risk). 

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If we can't add Josh Smith one day/ or found to be impossible...

Then,We need a real center , such as Gortat, and maybe add a rebounder  such as Paul Milsap. :)
And while we're at it, why not add a guy such as Kyrie Irving to back up Rondo?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

The Boston veterans are not good GM's

No, just the worst player ive ever seen

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't mind this for one key reason...Martin could be our primary backup PF behind either Bass or Sully (whichever we keep) and then with that the other of those guys would become a solid trade chip.

Even if Martin didn't impress or got injured, we'd have Wilcox out there capable of backing up both C and PF.

The best bet is probably either Sully + Lee (~$8M) or Bass + Melo (~ $7M), plus a pick thrown in to sweet the deal.

That's solid talent young talent going out regadless of which deal, and with the addition of Martin (for Vet min) and the return of Bradley we would be giving up very little in return (since all outgoing players are pretty much redundant for us by then).

I'm happy with Martin being our Backup PF.  He's not a fantstic scorer but he should be (by far) the best defensive player we have at PF and may help to protect the basket in ways that Wilcox, Bass and Sully do not. 

I think Wilcox + Martin would be a nice front line off the bench and should give us a nice combination of size and mobility as well as a ton of toughneszs and energy.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
This team desperately needs toughness. Martin can provide that, and the  vetmin to boot.  I don't see a downside to bringing him in, as long as he agrees to his role here, as a 10th man type. 

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is a win win for everybody if it happens. We sign Martin to a vet min, if he rides the pine...So what? If he plays 10 minutes a game, awesome he'll be perfect, if he plays well enough to get 20+ even better. Id consider this a no risk only reward type signing.

He would be great in the locker room, has been heavily playoff tested, and is a great defender who will probably be even better alongside KG.

Also, if we end up making a bigger trade that involves Bass or Sully, Martin would be great insurance for us. Like someone said, he wants to play anywhere and is desperate, so he will probably be playing with a chip on his shoulder and give us some incredible intensity.
Great post, agree 100%.  Always liked Martin's intensity.  My only hesitation is that Sully likely loses playing time which swings the balance of the team from "getting younger" (Rondo, Green, Bradley, Lee, Sully) back to "over the hill" (PP, KG, JT, Barbosa, Martin). Just knowing Doc's history, he will go with the vets in crunch time which means you give up the energy and athleticism of the youth.