Author Topic: Celts Vets lobbying for kenyon martin  (Read 5106 times)

Celts Vets lobbying for kenyon martin
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Darko Milicic will be leaving the Boston Celtics to be with his ill mother. Milicic has not been playing much with Boston. The lack of playing time has been especially surprising due to the lack of size the Celtics tend to put out on the floor.

“After failing to play since opening night, Milicic has also been frustrated with his lack of a role with the Celtics, sources said.” -Adrian Wojnarowski

Wojo goes on to discuss future plans for the Celtics. According to sources, Celtics veterans are lobbying for Kenyon Martin. Here is the breakdown of Martin’s recent career.

“Martin, 34, averaged five points and four rebounds in a reserve role for the Los Angeles Clippers a season ago. His game has dropped off significantly in recent years and he’s become flustered over why he’s struggled to find an NBA team willing to sign him this season. Martin has averaged 13 points and seven rebounds in his 12 NBA seasons with the Nets, Nuggets and Clippers.” -Wojnarowski

It will be interesting to see if the Celtics hold a spot on their roster or simply pick up Martin. He seems to be on the tail end of his career, however it is difficult not to give Celtics veterans what they ask for. Personally, I am split on this decision. If the vets weren’t asking for it, I would say no way. Stay tuned as we will update you on any new information.

http://celticfanchat.com/2012/11/19/report-milicic-may-leave-celtics-celts-vets-lobbying-for-kenyon-martin/

Re: Celts Vets lobbying for kenyon martin
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm for it, why not? It might cut into sullys minutes but even at his age he is still an above average defender with decent athleticism. Plus I think he has a nastry streak that would fit well with the personality of this team.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm for it, why not? It might cut into sullys minutes but even at his age he is still an above average defender with decent athleticism. Plus I think he has a nastry streak that would fit well with the personality of this team.

I'm for it on the Vet minimum, I think he'll come in with a chip on his shoulder and play pretty aggressive defense which I'm a huge fan of.

the problem will be his body holding up.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The only reason the c's would sign him is if they plan on trading bass or sullinger along with other players for a legit Center. This would allow us to still have depth at the PF spot . Otherwise they need to leave an open roster spot in case a decent center gets bought out later in the year.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
The only reason the c's would sign him is if they plan on trading bass or sullinger along with other players for a legit Center. This would allow us to still have depth at the PF spot . Otherwise they need to leave an open roster spot in case a decent center gets bought out later in the year.

I don't nessacarily agree with that notion..if the celtics don't play sully this year they're trading him? The kid is only 20 years old, I'm sure he's not just included in this years plan.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

They'll just cut Joseph if that happens, I don't think they really see him as a future contributor.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I'm for it on the Vet minimum, I think he'll come in with a chip on his shoulder and play pretty aggressive defense which I'm a huge fan of.

the problem will be his body holding up.

I think that's all the C's could offer and honestly for the vet min Kmart is a great bargain
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Curious, what does Martin bring that Wilcox doesn't?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Higher motor, more intensity, excellent on ball and pick and roll defender. He's a player that will probably excel in our defensive system. Against the Heat I would rather have Martin to match up against Bosh. Against bigger teams I would give the nod to Wilcox.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Even if the answer is nothing, Wilcox has an injury history which makes exploring the options for adding depth behind him a prudent measure.

If the Celtics are interested in adding another big, they might be better off adding someone who is more like Wilcox than a slightly better version of Jason Collins (if one is available).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Higher motor, more intensity, excellent on ball and pick and roll defender. He's a player that will probably excel in our defensive system. Against the Heat I would rather have Martin to match up against Bosh. Against bigger teams I would give the nod to Wilcox.

Martin is the type of guy that loves defending the best players on the team. Why put him against Bosh when we can put him against Lebron? I doubt he'd do worse than Jeff Green.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

The Boston veterans are not good GM's

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
If we buyout Darko, I would hope to add either Martin or Birdman - both offer skill-sets that none of our non-KG bigs do. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Martin would allow us to put some terrifying defensive lineups on the court.  Bradley/Lee/Pierce/Martin/Garnett? 

I'd like to see it happen.  Martin can play defense, he's mobile, he can finish and he can rebound.  I think he'd really help this team.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Martin would allow us to put some terrifying defensive lineups on the court.  Bradley/Lee/Pierce/Martin/Garnett? 

I'd like to see it happen.  Martin can play defense, he's mobile, he can finish and he can rebound.  I think he'd really help this team.

Exactly my thought when I first heard of this
*CB Miami Heat*