Author Topic: Am I the only one who's not on the edge of a cliff?  (Read 1087 times)

Am I the only one who's not on the edge of a cliff?
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:49 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I get it, we've looked awful at times. But guess what? This team, with 11 new players I might add, has played just over 10 games together. I'm reading these wild trade proposals that gut our team (a team we were all pretty excited about in October. Also people saying we should fire doc? All these over reactions are fun to read though.

Give it time guys, seriously.

Get back at me in march-april...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Am I the only one who's not on the edge of a cliff?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I've learned not to worry until how they perform after the all-star break.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You are not. 

Just remember, they stated off worse last year. 

This is still a vet team.  They know how to cruise and how and when to flip the switch. 

Patience is the key to the regular season. 

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think it's that people are on a cliff with this team (thinking they won't make the playoffs which is what I consider to be the cliff). 

I think it's more of a sense of frustration that a team loaded with players proven to have lots of talent (whether in Boston or in previous stops) is playing like crap.  it's like training camp never happened and/or Doc has no clue how to coach this team to get them functioning cohesively.

I have no worries that this team will make the playoffs.  My biggest concern is that they won't get it together until late in the season and go in as a lower-than-appropriate seed and not have any home court advantage for any of the playoff rounds.  As we've seen before, that can (and probably will) come back to bite them in the butt.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
certainly a lot of excuse making

did we not have a lot of new players on the roster in 2007 and dominate the first half of the season? were we not the best team pre all star break every year other then the lockout shortened season? (sorry we shouldnt look like we are coming off a lockout)

Look this team stinks right now, underachievment across the board as far as expectations, but we're hoping and theyre capable of getting better, enough excuses.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You are not. 

This is still a vet team.  They know how to cruise and how and when to flip the switch. 

This.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
They just played 7 games in 10 days (4 of those were road games) and finished 4-3. One of those loses was a close loss to the Nets, on a second night of a back to back, without Rondo. We don't have another brutal stretch like that the rest of the season.

I actually feel pretty good where we stand. Doc is keeping KG's (28 mpg) and Pierce's (33 mpg) minutes down, our second unit is playing better, and in a few weeks Bradley returns.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Ditto.

Ditto.

You are not. 

This.

And..... ditto.

I'm not worried about this team, yet. There is no question that we've been on a bit of a long, slow decline since 2008 or so, but I'm not worried yet.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not worried, but still think this team needs to make one major move to get closer to a 50-50 shot at beating Miami. 

I think it is closer to 10% chance if everyone is healthy, which when looking at these team, is probably a long shot as well (both Miami and Boston)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Naw there plenty of people who are having the wait and see approach.

Though I can say I'm not looking forward to the inevitable "realists" versus "kool-aid drinkers" versus "green-colored glasses" versus "jocks" versus "dweebs" wars that is sure to come eventually.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Ditto.

Ditto.

You are not. 

This.

And..... ditto.

I'm not worried about this team, yet. There is no question that we've been on a bit of a long, slow decline since 2008 or so, but I'm not worried yet.

Exactly. And doesnt anybody remember last year?

If we follow the same path as then, we have a better team and a better chance at beating the heat this year.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Nah, lots of people aren't on the edge of the cliff.  People who are upset just tend to shout louder and more often. 

I'm not thrilled with most of our performances, but I have a long enough memory to recall the struggles of the past three years.  Whether by accident or design, this isn't a great regular season team anymore. 

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Not worried, but still think this team needs to make one major move to get closer to a 50-50 shot at beating Miami. 

I think it is closer to 10% chance if everyone is healthy, which when looking at these team, is probably a long shot as well (both Miami and Boston)

What "major move" would you be referring to? I swear if you say yadda yadda...josh smith, I'm going to throw my hot coffee in my face
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What "major move" would you be referring to? I swear if you say yadda yadda...josh smith, I'm going to throw my hot coffee in my face

The Celtics are likely looking for another starting level big (if the Gortat rumor is true)

I think another starting level big is a huge need.  Smith of course would be on the high end, not likely to happen scale.