Author Topic: What could we get for JT,KG & PP?  (Read 2096 times)

What could we get for JT,KG & PP?
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm not really suggesting this(at least not yet), but our team w/o them doesn't look horrible:

Wilcox           Melo
Sully            Bass
JGreen           KJoseph
AB               CLee
Rondo            Barbosa

Don't really know about Darko, or care about JCollins.
It's a team with plenty of the lineups we use routinely right now, and one, frankly whose record I don't think would be much worse than ours is presently.  It's also, young, fast, and relatively athletic, and maintains plenty of trade chips should something come up that you wanted to jump on.
There are contending teams or pretending teams out there we could get some young talent/and or picks for, for these guys while they still have value and ability(though diminishing all the time).
Like I said, it's not something I'd do right now, especially in light of rumors about the C's acquiring a big man..(please Gortat and/or Varejao). If things keep going the way they are now, however, and we don't bring someone in, or at least get rid of Doc and his small ball, I would definitely consider doing it!

Re: What could we get for JT,KG & PP?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why does this team want to go to the lotto?

Rondo is a top PG, but not a miracle worker.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Why does this team want to go to the lotto?

Probably if they just threw those guys out. I didn't suggest that. Assuming they would get talent back.
IE. PP to Utah for EKanter,PMilsap, and EWatson, which I think would work for both teams.
Just spitballing. The way things are going now, even a matchup with Heat is a pipedream.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You're right it doesnt look horrible. It looks whatever the next level of horrible is, times 100... + 2 for good measure.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Are you saying I should start watching UCLA?  Yay lottery!

Anyways, KG has a no trade clause, and I have a feeling he would use it unless he hand chose his destination (which would kill the value of trading him most likely). 

Pierce could be traded, but I don't see it happening. 

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Per 82games:

Rondo-Lee-Green-Sullinger-Wilcox
6.1  1.10  1.55  -6   0   2   0.0

Rondo-Lee-Green-Bass-Sullinger
6.0  0.73  1.55  -9   0   2   0.0

I know this is little hard to read but the key numbers are -6 and -9 which are the plus/minus numbers, albeit with Lee on the floor not Bradley.  I don't think this team would be very good but as stated, the team doesn't include what we get back for for JT, PP, KG which of course would be something.

The question of whether the team without these guys is good or not is not the question.  Rather, the hypothetical question of would the team including what we get back be better than the team we have now is the key question.

The answer to the key question is who knows.  I think we only consider blow it up trades if we don't win.  The reason we don't win would be because PP and KG are too old to be consistently good.  If they are too old to be consistently good, we don't get much in a trade for them (JT is a different category).

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Don't stop there, throw rondo in there too.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm not really suggesting this(at least not yet), but our team w/o them doesn't look horrible:

Wilcox           Melo
Sully            Bass
JGreen           KJoseph
AB               CLee
Rondo            Barbosa

Don't really know about Darko, or care about JCollins.
It's a team with plenty of the lineups we use routinely right now, and one, frankly whose record I don't think would be much worse than ours is presently.

Re-read your own sentence and you will notice it, too.

It's also, young, fast, and relatively athletic, and maintains plenty of trade chips should something come up that you wanted to jump on.

Trading veterans away means you get into rebuilding mode. Why jump on a free-agent and give up those young assets if you're not going to be winning anytime soon?

If things keep going the way they are now, however, and we don't bring someone in, or at least get rid of Doc and his small ball, I would definitely consider doing it!

Ah, I see the reason now. You are just sore that Doc doesn't follow through with your rotations and instead uses his own plans. What a shame for him, right?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
An annual viewing of where the Celtics will draft in the Lottery for the next 10 seasons. A certain loss of Rondo. GM Ainge and Coach losing their jobs.

Nope don't want to go there.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Banner 18
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
what is this "small ball" people keep referring to? the entire league is playing "small ball" with a forward at the 5

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
what is this "small ball" people keep referring to? the entire league is playing "small ball" with a forward at the 5
We've played about 8 minutes a game with Jeff Green at PF.

Other than that we really haven't played much small ball, other than we've mostly used what people call PFs on the court instead of Cs. We still have 2 big men on the floor for 42 minutes per game.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
a lottery ticket

...that would come up empty, because karma
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Please take a look at the following thread, outlining why KG is still statistically the most important player on this team:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60690.msg1339741;topicseen#new

Now check out the variety of threads here that are lobbying for us to make ANY trade that will bring us some form of quality defensive big so that we aren't playing lottery-calibre basketball every time KG rests (as we are now).

Finally take a look at the combined production of Pierce and Garnett (34 points, 4.5 assists, 13.5 rebounds, 2.0 steals, 1.1 blocks) and try to find me a player we could get back for them who would even come close to matching this production.

Now look back at suggestion of trading KG and Pierce and re-evaluate.